Can't capture from Intensity Pro with Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Philip Kutzenco

Can't capture from Intensity Pro with Resolve

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm a new user of Resolve (using Version 12.5.6.017). I have an Intensity Pro card installed in a Windows PC running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. I have a feed from cable box into the Intensity card via component connections (video) and left and right stereo audio.

Using Media Express, I can capture video and audio. The capture screen shows as 1080i59.94. I set the capture format to AVI Motion JPEG. The clip plays fine in the Windows Movies & TV app - both video and audio.

ISSUE 1 - When I import the clip into Resolve, metadata shows 1920 x 1080 but frame rate 29.970. Also it shows NO audio (remember, audio of the clip plays fine in Movies & TV app). When I drag the clip into the timeline, no audio shows, only video.

When I capture video in Magix Vegas 14 Pro (from the Intensity Pro card) and import the clip into Resolve, the metadata shows 1920 x 1080 frame rate 29.970 and 2 audio tracks at 44100. When I drag it into the timeline both video and audio show.

ISSUE 2 - When I try to capture from the Intensity Pro card directly into Resolve, I get a black screen. In Preferences, I made sure the Intensity Pro card is selected. In Project settings (Master Project Settings) I set Timeline resolution to 1920 x 1080 HD for 1920 x 1080 processing. In Project Settings (Capture and Playback) I set Video Capture and Playback to HD 1080i 59.94. I just see a black screen on capture. I also tried HD 1080p 29.97 - still black screen. What am I doing wrong? I made sure that Media Express was closed. Obviously the Intensity Pro card works as I can capture with Media Express (though audio isn't available in Resolve but is in Movies & TV) and I can capture in Vegas Pro.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Phil

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Can't capture from Intensity Pro with Resolve

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 1:22 am

What version of Desktop Video do you have installed?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Philip Kutzenco

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Dwaine,

I had previously upgraded Desktop Video for Windows to 10.9.5. I believe that also installed the latest version of Media Express, which is 3.5.3.

Really appreciate your help. I would be glad to upload screen shots of any settings windows, if that would help.
Thanks.

Phil

Uwe Binner

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Have the exact same problem using DaVinci Resolve 14.2.1 with BMD Desktop Video 10.9.10. Resolve Capture Preview stays black. Capture can be started, but leaves you with a 0 frame clip showing a red thumbnail: Media offline.

Interesting: Using BMD Mini Recorder is working as you would expect.

Tried to follow the suggestions in this forum: begin with Media Express. The installed 3.5.4 version captures and monitors like a breeze with the following setting:
MediaExpressCaptureIntensityPro.png
MediaExpressCaptureIntensityPro.png (48.08 KiB) Viewed 4461 times

Connected in Resolve Preferences:
ResolvePrefsIntensityPro.png
ResolvePrefsIntensityPro.png (14.88 KiB) Viewed 4461 times

Set up the Capture Settings to the same 1080i59.94 as in Media Express:
ResolveCaptureSettings.png
ResolveCaptureSettings.png (49.44 KiB) Viewed 4461 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 pm

What happens if you set Resolve Live to None?
Dwaine Maggart

Uwe Binner

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 8:46 pm

If I remember correctly the live monitoring will go away when in Edit mode, but no change to the capture behavior. I can test these cases when I am back in the office next week.

Uwe Binner

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Setting Resolve Live to None results in the exact same thing for Capture. The preview stays black.

However, contrary to what I said, the live monitoring remains intact.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 5:53 pm

My apologies for not noticing this much sooner.

Resolve cannot capture from an HDMI input device. It's only designed to capture from an SDI input source.

Hopefully we'll address that someday.
Dwaine Maggart

Uwe Binner

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 9:27 am

Thank you for your immediate response. I have to say, though, that it leaves me confused since we did get HDMI Resolve Capture to work using the BMD Mini Recorder (please see my post "Mini Recorder AND Mini Monitor Capture Preview not working" in this forum). In that post I tried to describe that using the Mini Recorder in conjunction with Mini Monitor Resolve Capture behaves exactly as described here for the Intensity Pro.

However, physically removing Mini Monitor from the workstation, Resolve Capture works as you would expect it.

Could that mean, that we really have a problem that develops with the monitoring side (separate device with Mini Monitor, on-board for the Intensity Pro)?

Uwe Binner

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Intensity Shuttle HD Capture working like a breeze: Capturing with monitoring, Edit with monitoring, both on HDMI connected separate monitor.

IntensityShuttleSetup.JPG
IntensityShuttleSetup.JPG (27.82 KiB) Viewed 4328 times

ResolveIntensityShuttle.JPG
ResolveIntensityShuttle.JPG (20.94 KiB) Viewed 4328 times

ResolveIntensityShuttle2.JPG
ResolveIntensityShuttle2.JPG (105.44 KiB) Viewed 4328 times

Resolve indeed is capable of capturing HDMI, I would say now. Just has a problem with the Intensity Pro and Mini Recorder in conjunction with Mini Monitor.

Any idea what else we could try?
Thank you

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 6:32 pm

For devices that have both HDMI and SDI inputs, you can force the HDMI input to be captured by using the Desktop Video setup app. outside of Resolve, to select the HDMI input. But Resolve has no ability to make that selection.

But for HDMI only devices, this is not an option.

You can't use an UltraStudio Mini Recorder and Mini Monitor together for capture, because the Preferences - "For capture and playback use" can only select one device. If you select the Mini Monitor for playback, you can't use the Mini Monitor for capture. You can use it for Live Grade, since that is a separate selection.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve