14b6 Fairlight audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Draper

14b6 Fairlight audio

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 9:28 pm

I had some good experiences with the latest incarnation of the Fairlight page (had been avoiding this since earlier disfunctionality). This is coming from a pro music/audio studio perspective:

Did a number of videos testing on-camera microphone configurations: lavalier, shotgun, stereo video mic + recording studio mic recorded directly into Resolve. All audio was located on different named & colour coded tracks, then Fairlight post production applied: matching gain structure, EQ here and there etc.

To my surprise and pleasure - all is working exactly as expected, and with no constant crashing. Very nice, is beginning to work like a DAW. That included inserting 3rd party FabFilter audio plugins on stereo tracks, assigning bus with inserts (Sonarworks), plugins on the master (iZotope). 5x stereo tracks, 1x stereo bus, 1 x stereo master (though fade handles /curves no longer seem to work).

Recording direct to Fairlight: odd creature, but indeed works. In this case, a Neumann TL-49 via UA Apollo audio interface; Resolve internal 'patch' from input 1 to assigned stereo track & main output; set the track record input on, and push the record button.

The odd thing is: no input monitoring, no metering activity etc & so one is guessing as to if it is actually recording and what the levels might be. Push stop & sure enough, there's now good quality audio (voice over) sitting on the assigned track. So, a couple of suggestions for a future 14 version?

– provide input monitoring /metering for the above.
– needs ASIO driver support badly, vs. the rather simplistic 'system audio setting'.

Using the UAD Apollo audio interface as example (8-in, 8-out) presently Resolve can only select audio input from the first two channels & output from the 'system' stereo speakers. Needs to be able to freely route from any and all I/O as per the ASIO drivers for the particular device. In this ASIO example here:

INPUT – would then be able to freely record from any number of sources in the studio (various mics, amps, keyboards, other computers etc) and/or be able to record more that the presently limited two tracks at once.
OUTPUT – assign outputs to various monitors, e.g.: two for main stereo and another six for 5.1 surround.

Seems very close though. I hope input monitoring and ASIO are on the roadmap (& not necessarily relegated to needing a Fairlight console).

Nice work BM. That was an excellent day with audio yesterday.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.5.

Marc Wielage

Re: 14b6 Fairlight audio

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 7:07 am

Wow, that's good to hear that Fairlight is getting closer. I sure wish they'd finish the manual section on Fairlight... :(
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 7:17 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Wow, that's good to hear that Fairlight is getting closer. I sure wish they'd finish the manual section on Fairlight... :(

Next update coming soon.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Paul Draper

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 8:11 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Wow, that's good to hear that Fairlight is getting closer. I sure wish they'd finish the manual section on Fairlight... :(

Indeed, am especially intrigued by the Rewire entry.

Bring it on, the public beta process has been an excellent way to 'co-author' with users ... of all persuasions. I'm a convert.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.5.

Yiorgos Tryfonas

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 1:38 pm

I'm hoping for a proper Audio system as well. I'm coming from an audio background and I use an audio interface for the sound. It works okay in Resolve and I can't know what's going on in the background but those devices support the ASIO interface for low latency something that could improve playback a lot. I assume the default windows interface is currently used which compared to ASIO is much less efficient - or the ASIO is used already in the background with the default ASIO settings. Having options for the audio device instead of picking up the default would be nice though.

Here is the bug: For my workflow I often need to open my DAW software (Ableton Live) to do some music making and other things. From the moment a software that uses ASIO starts the sound is gone for ever from Resovle - every other software from Chrome browser to other software ASIO or not work just fine when switching. But in Resolve the audio is just gone and since there is no audio reset option in Resolve, the only solution is to close the software that uses the ASIO and restart Resolve to get the sound back. Not very convenient :/

So an audio device choice as well as clean support of ASIO should be a priority especially now that Resolve includes Fairlight. I can see tons of progress in the betas so I'm quite sure all that are somewhere in the todo list, I'm just giving my detailed version here.

Paul Draper

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Yiorgos Tryfonas wrote: For my workflow I often need to open my DAW software (Ableton Live) to do some music making and other things. From the moment a software that uses ASIO starts the sound is gone for ever from Resovle - every other software from Chrome browser to other software ASIO or not work just fine when switching. But in Resolve the audio is just gone and since there is no audio reset option in Resolve, the only solution is to close the software that uses the ASIO and restart Resolve to get the sound back. Not very convenient

I assume you're using some kind of Windows version /PC. In my case, Resolve is set to select 'system audio', there is no ASIO involved as far as I can see. The Windows system audio is set to use my UA Apollo speakers as the default playback device & consequently, all Windows apps run up and play sound via that output as default. This includes movie players, iTunes, Browsers etc and Resolve.

In the case of DAWs with multi-channel ASIO drivers for the UA Apollo, they run up and use UA's ASIO drivers quite independently. This includes for Nuendo, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Digital Performer etc. So the Windows 'system sound' can still playback through the default speaker arrangement (say, iTunes) while the DAWs can still do their thing via ASIO. My older Mac Pro 5,1 works similarly. In Windows however, the bussing and audio paths can be quite a bit more complex but generally works in my experience, e.g., selecting the playback device from various including say, RealTek audio, VDU speakers, headphones, VoiceMeeter (fab routing application) etc. None of which compromises the multichannel ASIO drivers (usually).

Back to your example with Live and Resolve: I often have both Resolve and Nuendo or Pro Tools running at the same time. Works as expected: Nuendo using ASIO, Resolve using the system default. Occasionally Resolve loses the sound and needs a re-boot, but that's likely a few bugs lurking about in the beta I imagine. I keep Neundo open (often is also playing a video dub) and just re-launch Resolve and all is good until the next time it loses sound.

Otherwise, always check you Windows speaker output in the task bar? I've found that it can often change its output willy-nilly.

Hope that helps.

Chris Holmes

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Paul,

I notice you have the UAD PCIe-2 card in your signature, have you been able to run UAD plugins successfully in Resolve?
System Info
Resolve Studio 14.3
Windows 10 Pro version 1709
SuperMicro 7048GR-TR
Dual 18 Core / 4x 1080ti / Cubix Xpndr

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 am

Paul, can you please repost with your full user name.
I'm deleting the others.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve