How to do text reveal and parallax effect

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Roddy J. Betancourt

How to do text reveal and parallax effect

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 pm

I'm about to start using DaVinci Resolve [12.5.5] on my iMac for the first time.
I was wondering if it is possible to do an animated handwriting/text reveal effect as in After Effects.

I'm not allowed to post URLs, so if you can search on YouTube for these titles, you'll see what I mean:
YouTube: "Animated Handwriting in After Effects" by vvincefantasy

Also, I'd like to create a parallax effect as well. I did it once using Sony Vegas as in this video:
YouTube: "The 2D to 3D Photo Effect | TUTORIAL" by YourTVPlanet

If so, can someone explain step-by-step how to achieve this effect? Or, is there a video tutorial that explains how? I would appreciate this very much.
In God's Harmony

Jason Rushin

Re: How to do text reveal and parallax effect

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 1:11 am

Hey Roddy, I had the same question on revealing video and kinda figured it out using masks and composite clips. See this video for the basis:
(How to create mattes and composite in Resolve 12, by midphase on YouTube)

For my video,
, here's what I did:
- Created 3 video tracks in the timeline and stacked them as clip, title, same clip.
- On the top clip, V3, I masked out the hills on the center and right using the polygon tool, but also included some of the sky between the left and center hills (to "hide" the title as it's scrolling across).
- Finally, I positioned my title way left, then used keyframes in the inspector to make the title scroll left to right.

The "alpha output" is key here, and I kept the composite mode as "normal" for both the original clip and the duplicate.

Note that any grading can mess up the look and you'll see the obvious mask. I graded the clip, then duplicated it, then masked it.

Roddy J. Betancourt

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 10:48 pm

Not sure why I get an eMail of a response today when you replied 5 months ago.
I appreciate your help, and video posts. I can't post any URLs or videos. Not sure how you were able to post. I read here that you have to have a lot of posts before the system allows posting URLs.

The text reveal I'd like is a handwriting effect. Not sure if you got to see both videos I mentioned on YouTube.

Thanks for reaching out and trying to help me out.
In God's Harmony

Marc Wielage

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 3:20 am

My observation is no, you can't do a complex animated title effect in Resolve. (I would say the same thing about Avid or Premiere.)

After Effects or Fusion would be good choices to do an effect like this. You can do some limited visual effects in Resolve, but it's not ideal for what you're trying to do.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve