Fairlight as a Separate Program?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cedric Akins

Fairlight as a Separate Program?

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 3:48 pm

Is there any chance that Fairlight will be a separate program apart from Davinci Resolve? It seems as though there so many DAW features that other DAWs have and Fairlight is missing.

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: Fairlight as a Separate Program?

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 4:38 pm

I don't think so, it would go against the direction that Blackmagic has so far indicated they're pursuing. Rather, the Fairlight mode in Resolve will continue to grow and get more and more powerful, but it will take at least a couple of years before it can be a serious contender to something like Pro Tools, I think.

In the meantime, just think of it as a way to perform audio functions in an NLE that might not have been possible before, but not quite a replacement for your current DAW.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Marc Wielage

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 12:09 am

One of the Fairlight demo people told me at NAB in April, "we fully anticipate there will be sound engineers who will buy Resolve just for the Fairlight capabilities and never touch the Color page." So in effect, the program we have now is that separate program. Just pretend the Color page is not there. Heck, you might be able to ignore the Edit page, too.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Cedric Akins

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 3:10 am

Marc Wielage wrote:One of the Fairlight demo people told me at NAB in April, "we fully anticipate there will be sound engineers who will buy Resolve just for the Fairlight capabilities and never touch the Color page." So in effect, the program we have now is that separate program. Just pretend the Color page is not there. Heck, you might be able to ignore the Edit page, too.

Hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have to say that that is impossible for me to ignore any of the pages, but that was still funny.

I am hoping for midi options and the possibility to add music from the fairlight page. But I guess I will have to wait and see what happens when it is out of the beta stage.

PeterMoretti

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 3:37 am

What we really do need is is to have as many commands be the same for each page. For example, move one frame forward is:

Right Arrow on all pages except for Fairlight
K + L on Fairlight page

Perhaps there is a good reason for this that I'm just not aware of? Totally possible.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 5:51 am

PeterMoretti wrote:What we really do need is is to have as many commands be the same for each page. For example, move one frame forward is:
Right Arrow on all pages except for Fairlight
K + L on Fairlight page
Perhaps there is a good reason for this that I'm just not aware of? Totally possible.

Yep, this is a very valid complaint. I'm kind of floored that the commands from the Edit page aren't identical on the Fairlight page. I don't get that at all.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 6:55 am

Totaly agree Marc. I love what they are doingwith fairlight, but still feel lost when i switch pages due to the simplest command are not the same or missing (still). Simple stuff like how do i move to the next audio clip, or how do i move left/right in general, operating on multiple clips etc etc I am always searching .
Having the HUi integration stuff now help tremendous, but basic audio editong stuff is not there yet. And what is there feels strange/hidden etc coming from 3 other daws or as you mentioned even from within side of resolves other pages.
I am still guessing/hoping it will evolve like many things in the fairlight page slowly got introduced.
But we are getting close to final release i guesss so lets see what we end up with at golive and take it from there with our requests/wishes and complaints.
But in general these useability things should be easy fixes/changes etc that may come in the form of a bucket of keyboard shortcuts. The core seem very solid and pretty amazing for an original color application.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Return to DaVinci Resolve