Prevent Resolve from adding timeline tracks to match source

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Trevor Asquerthian

Prevent Resolve from adding timeline tracks to match source

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 10:10 pm

This is a problem in PPro too... Resolve doesn't seem to have an option to not increase my timeline track count to match unassigned source audio tracks.

Lots of sources are 8 or 16 tracks and often I don't need all those tracks for a particular edit, yet my neat little 8 track timeline gets polluted with extra tracks and audio I do not want.

Any answers or is it a feature request?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Prevent Resolve from adding timeline tracks to match sou

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 12:38 am

In clip attributes you can set the audio channel count for a single or selected media pool clips.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Trevor Asquerthian

Re: Prevent Resolve from adding timeline tracks to match sou

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 7:26 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:In clip attributes you can set the audio channel count for a single or selected media pool clips.

Thanks Peter, that is the PPro way too.
Problems are:

a. it's quite a cumbersome approach without keyboard shortcuts

b. Often I will need to access different audio tracks at a different time (necessitating another trip through clip attributes)

Avid solution was to add an option to disable the auto-creation of new tracks in settings

Workaround currently is to increase track count to max number of source tracks and lock the excess ones

Return to DaVinci Resolve