Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Plans for non-dongle licence?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Sjur Pollen

Plans for non-dongle licence?

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 11:46 am

I curious (and hopeful) if Fusion will get a non-dongle licencing system. It just seems so unnecessary these days. Especially with this low price point.

On laptops especially, the dongles are a pain. For instance my workflow is quite dependant on roundtripping between resolve and fusion. Having to plug in two separate dongles for the studio versions, when modern laptops comes with ever fewer usb-ports is just silly. Those few available ports should be free for external drives/mice etc.

Not to mention the always fun scenario of forgetting to bring the dongle on a trip...

Lastly, just the process of having to order a physical product to use a software, these days, is just annoyingly regressive.
http://www.sjurpollen.com

Sjur Pollen

Re: Plans for non-dongle licence?

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 11:51 am

Also, I'm holding back on ordering Fusion Studio because of this, especially so with the recent experince of buying a dongle for Resolve...

I bought a dongle for Resolve 14 when it was still in beta, expetcting (based on Blackamgic statements) to get it replaced with a licence key for the final release. This is apparently not happening: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=63979#p361706

I really don't want the same scenario happening with a purchase of Fusion.

Kevin Traywick

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 4:58 pm

I agree. For BM, a dongle means 2 things, that they can control piracy and who distributes their products. I see it mostly as the latter, support for their distributors. It probably will work that way but other than being self-fulfilling, is it necessary to use a dongle to do that? However, my concern is that not enough studios adopt Fusion or use Fusion and Nuke, not the dongle.

BM must convince a critical mass of users to adopt it so that they can effectively compete with Nuke. If its not adopted by enough studios, why learn it? And, you have to sell a lot of software at $299 to support development of pro software. Banking on a low price isn't going to ensure you have enough users to do either (ask Apple about FCPX).

BM's opportunity to gain a lot of users closes once Nuke offers a boutique / small studio Nuke X license at a lower cost (and it may never do that). Waiting on a dongle and the pain of using one is really not the headwind they need right now.

Sjur Pollen

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 am

I see you point. Absolutely agree that getting studios to adopt fusion is important, both for sales and development, but also to stay competitive in the software's capabilities and credibility.

However, I think there is a huge market for individuals and small companies like myself, who use fusion in quite varied and less high end scenarios. In this case also, accessibility is absolutely crucial for building a critical mass of users, and spawning a larger community.

David Spittle

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm in the same boat - I just bought a Fusion license because Nuke costs more than I can justify spending.

Whilst dongle is a pain - I prefer it so I can easily switch between computers. That being said - I think Adobe's CC licensing is the most user friendly i.e. can license up to three computers (I think) for individual use and choose to log them all out when you max them out.
Specs WS: AMD Threadripper 1950x 16c/32t, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Win10 Pro. Fusion Studio 9
Specs Laptop: Dell XPS15 9550, i7-6700HQ 4c/8t, 32GB RAM, GTX960M, Win10 Pro, FS9
www.davidspittle.com

Umberto Uderzo

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm not in a hurry to buy a license, i don't need Fusion for my daily work.
But the cost makes it a good choice for playing with my footage and learning compositing (i mean: i'm interested in the camera solver which is not present in the free version).
That said... i'm on a laptop too so plugging both Resolve and Fusion dongles to work with them is a pain. I'm now accustomed to plug the Resolve dongle, but too much is too much!
Is there a online activation release to the horizon? Should i wait or no way, the only answer is the dongle from now to several months?

Thanks! Umberto

Return to Fusion