Ursa Mini Pro & 4.6k - Short Photographer Doc

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mark Wyatt

Ursa Mini Pro & 4.6k - Short Photographer Doc

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Attachments
MANFRED_THUMBS.jpg
MANFRED_THUMBS.jpg (632.19 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
www.wyattvisuals.com

rick.lang

Re: Ursa Mini Pro & 4.6k - Short Photographer Doc

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Lovely story, Mark. Passion, history, love. Well done.

Always do something that matters in a way that resonates for the both creator and the viewer. We need to remember what matters most in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Absolutely lovely work Mark!
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Mark Wyatt

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 10:00 pm

rick.lang wrote:Lovely story, Mark. Passion, history, love. Well done.

Always do something that matters in a way that resonates for the both creator and the viewer. We need to remember what matters most in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you Rick and Jamie. Appreciate the feedback.
www.wyattvisuals.com

timbutt2

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 4:54 pm

This looks great Mark. I'm curious what settings did you shoot in. RAW? ProRes 4K? Any and all tech specs would be much appreciated.

Also, what glass?
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Outstanding, excellent job, great photography and a nice story about a fellow photographer!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mark Wyatt

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 4:10 pm

timbutt2 wrote:This looks great Mark. I'm curious what settings did you shoot in. RAW? ProRes 4K? Any and all tech specs would be much appreciated.

Also, what glass?

Thanks. Mainly shot in 1080 prores 444 or HQ. Graded with FilmConvert. Lenses: Sigma 18-35, Canon 24 pancake and Rokinon 50.
www.wyattvisuals.com

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pm

KUDOS!
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Mark Wyatt wrote:Thanks. Mainly shot in 1080 prores 444 or HQ. Graded with FilmConvert. Lenses: Sigma 18-35, Canon 24 pancake and Rokinon 50.

Interested to know how the 24 pancake made the list. Ergonomically, I'm guessing it's not the easiest lens for pulling focus.

On FilmConvert, their profile for the 4.6K was created for the quite different v1 color profile, not the v3 color profile that's been the default for film mode on the 4.6K since one of the early firmware updates last year. I've asked Rubber Monkey many times when they plan to update their profile, but they seem completely unmotivated to deal with it.
Do you use a color space conversion node before the Film Convert node to make the swap back to v1 color, or do you just manually grade around the issue? I've tried both with varying results in each case. Neither is ideal.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Mark Wyatt

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Mark Wyatt wrote:Thanks. Mainly shot in 1080 prores 444 or HQ. Graded with FilmConvert. Lenses: Sigma 18-35, Canon 24 pancake and Rokinon 50.

Interested to know how the 24 pancake made the list. Ergonomically, I'm guessing it's not the easiest lens for pulling focus.

On FilmConvert, their profile for the 4.6K was created for the quite different v1 color profile, not the v3 color profile that's been the default for film mode on the 4.6K since one of the early firmware updates last year. I've asked Rubber Monkey many times when they plan to update their profile, but they seem completely unmotivated to deal with it.
Do you use a color space conversion node before the Film Convert node to make the swap back to v1 color, or do you just manually grade around the issue? I've tried both with varying results in each case. Neither is ideal.

The only reason I use the pancake is due to the weight/balance setup I have with my Ronin-m. It seems to work well but I normally would not recommend the lens as the focus can be a bit tricky.

At the moment, I find filmconvert with some adjustments can yield pleasing results. I don't do any color space conversions. I find that with some minor adjustments to the filmconvert settings I can get somewhat pleasing results, but it definitely could be better.
www.wyattvisuals.com

Return to Cinematography