Best SDI to older projector conversion approach?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Neil Brown

Best SDI to older projector conversion approach?

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 am

Hi,

We are successfully trialling an IMAG, remote video campus, and online streaming setup, based around vMix and borrowed prosumer cameras. Our church has now committed a modest budget to implement a more permanent solution and also address IMAG latency issues. We'll continue using vMix for the inter-campus link (vMixCall is awesome, robust, and reliable for this; and vMix have very, very generously supported us for this), however we are now pursuing an ATEM ProHD based local solution.

Given our modest budget, a hardware production switcher and some good cameras don't leave much change ... so, for now, we need to continue with our existing old projectors. They are Hitachi CP-X450 with 1024x768 (XGA) native resolution, and VGA, DVI, s-video, composite, component inputs. Not ideal!

My question is: what is the best SDI to projector converter approach in this situation. Will we achieve the best quality/latency converting to VGA, DVI, s-video, composite, or component video?

Thanks in advance,
Neil.

Jacob Abramson

Re: Best SDI to older projector conversion approach?

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Is the DVI also HDMI? If so, I would go SDI to HDMI and connect to the DVI connector. Alternative is SDI to Component. You can do either of those with BMD mini converters. VGA is a possibility, but you would need a different manufacturer to make that conversion.
Equipment In Use:
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K
ATEM Production Studio 4K
ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel
HyperDeck Studio Pro 4k
HyperDeck Studio
Teranex 2d
Teranex Express
MultiView 16
DeckLink Quad
Pocket Cinema Camera
Video Assist 4k

Neil Brown

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Unfortunately no, it's not HDMI.

So as I see it, on the projector, I have a choice of VGA, component or composite. Given that we'll replace these projectors when able, I'm hoping not to spend too much now - I've found a much cheaper (than BMD) analog converter, but it only provides composite (and not component). Is there any huge quality or latency disadvantage going composite?

Cheers,
Neil.

Jacob Abramson

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Component is much preferred over composite.

What is the projector model number?
Equipment In Use:
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K
ATEM Production Studio 4K
ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel
HyperDeck Studio Pro 4k
HyperDeck Studio
Teranex 2d
Teranex Express
MultiView 16
DeckLink Quad
Pocket Cinema Camera
Video Assist 4k

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 am

How is your beamer setup now connected? By VGA? If so I would keep that route..
Video compatibility

NTSC / PAL / SECAM / PAL-M,N / NTSC4.43 SDTV: 525i(480i), 525p(480p), 625i(576i) HDTV: 750p (720p@50 / 60Hz), 1125i(1080i@50 / 60Hz), 1125p(1080p@50 / 60Hz)

From the hitachi website it says it supports 1080P. (THere is no DVI or HDMI on it.. But will support this on VGA)
So get yourself a SDI to VGA converter like this one if you need it for low budget https://www.amazon.com/Kanex-Pro-EXT-SD ... B00USVS4L8
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production