Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

current best 3rd party keyer

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Tanvir Hanif

current best 3rd party keyer

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi all,

I'm having trouble keying a treeline I need to put a background behind. Luma keyer gives me the best results but even with pre-multply it still leaves light fringing ..which I can't eliminate..is there a good 3rd party keyer anyone could suggest ? ..I'm struggling with the standard keyers supplied.

regards
TH

Hendrik Proosa

Re: current best 3rd party keyer

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Your problem is not the key but the fact that foreground element has light contamination from background. Instead of trying to improve the key, which is probably good enough, try to restore the proper foreground edge colors. There are different techniques for this, which either involve eroding into the edge deep enough to reach pixels that are not contaminated and extending them outwards or grading the edge to match the new background better.
I do stuff.

Tanvir Hanif

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 7:42 pm

HI Henrick,

Thanks for the reply..I have attempted that but to eliminate the edging I find the erode is too heavy and whole effect looks unsatisfactory, if you could suggest an alternative that would be great ..as I'm inserting a building behind the tree line so its a darker element than the sky in the backplate

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 7:21 am

Don't erode the final alpha, the key is probably good enough. You must restore the original uncontaminated colors of treeline and when it is done, copy the alpha into restored plate.

How to approach this depends on the looks of treeline and the new background. Can you upload an example frame?
I do stuff.

Tanvir Hanif

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 am

HI Henrick

I can send you the 2 high res layers ..not sure how to restore without pulling back the same fringing

can you sen me you PM with your email so I send you the files?

Sam Steti

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi there,

I've been keying a lot these times, as always for years actually...
In Fusion I'm using Primatte Keyer, but maybe it's in the Studio version only, this I don't know.
Honestly, for this kind of work, I usually use Resolve with Lum and Sat which gives me full satisfaction, same job as sky replacements but let's see here inside Fusion

Anyway you have a couple of potential fixes for that :
- you can - if the clip is not too long (or you have time) - first put a basic polyline as a garbage matte with keyframes to stick to what doesn't need at all to be keyed;
- then, Primatte as a lot of option aside : Fine tuning, matt sponge, clean foreground, restore details etc, and light adjust. Tweaking is important. There you also find matte blur and the option of the direction of the blur : inward may help if it works good with erosion
- at least, a matte control node just after Primatte should do the final trick. I'm used to despill here (even though Primatte allows you to do it before), because I often found it better to keep the matte clean from that at the exit of the primatte node to make what follows... Therefore above all, fringe options are here, and erosion can be achieved here too : a good combination should make it.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Tanvir Hanif

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the response really appreciate the it, I did try primatte but perhaps didn't pursue it long enough. I found it not liking the sky as a background colour so the initial results were poor ..I was surprised as the tree line is quite green and dark so I felt confident of getting something useful back.

I'll have another attempt using your advise and see how I get on ..thanks again

T

Return to Fusion