CF Fast Card Issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bill Hall

CF Fast Card Issue

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 pm

A Little Background, Ursa mini 4 K, using 2- 128 cards for about 16 months, Formatted before each use, no problems until Saturday.
Shooting UHD, prores. Small room no airflow, warm about 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Shot 2 scenes about 20 min of recording time with takes. Camera fan was on. Shout camera and lights off to allow them to cool. Started shooting 10 minutes later.

I can not access the data on the card prior to turning the camera off. The data written to the card and the 2nd card where fine.

Used camera next day with different media without incident. Any ideas what happened so I CAN AVOID IN THE FUTURE?

Thanks in Advance,

Bill

rick.lang

Re: CF Fast Card Issue

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 8:57 pm

You should be able to shoot up to 40 degrees Celsius but you were so close to that the internal temperature may well have been greater than 40. Is it at all possible to have a large fan at a doorway or window drawing hot air out of the room or pushing cool air into the room when the camera is not running? Was the 100 in the actual room while lights had been on ir the ambient temperature that day not counting the lights?

The data may be on the 'bad' card so a recovery app may salvage it before it's reformatted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

robert Hart

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 am

How long did you allow the camera to get its affairs in order before you shut it down? It might have been still rounding off the file from a buffer when you put it to sleep. There may be a safeguard in the firmware against that happening.

That is my imagining, maybe misguided, of what might have gone wrong. If someone hung a toe in a power cable to my SI2K and killed it, there would be a broken file which the camera would automatically give notice of and repair next time switched on.

I don't think the BM cams have that facility.

Bill Hall

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 8:22 pm

I would have thought the image processing to the card was complete, as I waited about 3 minutes before turning the camera off. The room working room temp was about 100, fans a difficult when recording audio. I was not thinking I was so close on the temperature ceiling, but in retrospect I was right on the edge. I have not been able to recover the files using file recovery software, the show up and have data associated with them, I can not open and read.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 am

Are you using the Lexar CR1 or CR2 card reader?

We have heard some people who have had massive data loss issues when using these Lexar card readers on Mac. Were you by any chance using either of these card readers?

Bill Hall

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Yes on the card reader, however Only scenes 1 and 2 where unreadable about 20 min of recorded data, everything thing after recorded and read fine. I am starting to think it was a temperature related issue.

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Bill, when I suggested using fans given the ambient temperature, I only meant to remove the warmer air in the small room when you are not recording. Don't know if that would have helped though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Bill Hall

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:23 pm

What is black Magic's opinion on the G Tech reader connected to mac?
https://www.adorama.com/gte0g05222.html

Any other recommendations?

Bill Hall

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Return to Cinematography