HBR H264 recorder

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Andrew Martin

HBR H264 recorder

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Ok so weird request time....

We have a particular a use case that needs a hi quality h264 recording. Yes we have prores and avid recorders but are trying for quick turnaround for social media and YT uploads specifically in this use case.

Can anyone recommend a stand alone h264 recorder that provides a HBR recording say at least 50mb. Most of the stuff that's available for game capture etc are toys and we'd want something from a pro- angle.

My perfect solution use would be a atomos h264 but 2nd by a hyperdeck mini that runs h264 or a video assist with h264 or even a single or twin card vers. of the BMD duplicator. Any ideas guys?

A.

Markus Leodolter

Re: HBR H264 recorder

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 4:26 pm

John Mortensen

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 10:48 pm

We have been checking out the Helo as well. Unfortunately the MP4 record feature does not work consistently. (AJA admits currently there is an issue). When it's solved it will be a terrific device.

rogersuski

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 1:58 am

50Mbit wow, that's a bit high.

Devices that I know of that'll record to SD card and not an exhaustive list

Matrox Monarch
Extron SMP/SME devices they also have a big red button USB stick version
Datavideo NVS30
Echo360 Pod

But really, it sounds like you want something that ingests and then spits out a file.

Why not just get a powerful PC and a capture card and run OBS/Wirecast/VMix and make a realtime file? Trim the capture and upload that.

Tim Douglas

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 3:47 pm

This might be unpopular but AverMedia Live Gamer Portable can do up to 60Mb/s (apparently). It records directly to SD card without a PC.

It's a cheap consumer device so take that into consideration. But the needs you described sound like exactly what this was designed for.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983193-REG/avermedia_c875_live_gamer_portable.html#!

Ole Anderson

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 5:17 pm

We run our signal from the ATEM through the BM Pro Recorder (really just a h.264 encoder), then into our PC via usb. We use Livestream Producer (free) to stream and simultaneously drop a h.264 file on our hard drive. We then have a file to upload to other services or to edit. We find it easier than trying to figure out BM Media Express.
Now you tell me!

Ole Anderson

Andrew Martin

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks for the ideas fellas..

I'm not overly into running recordings into PCs got bit a couple times in the past and wanted a stand alone recorder if I did I own a TVS so we could run into that and then use its ability to create a h264 signal via its usb connection but as said not into pc recording..

The Helo looks good didn't know abt that one, and the datavideo line of recorders and the monarch pro looks good.. I'll keep an eye on it.

the others listed mostly I've seen are intended for pc game capture etc and agn not what we want to use as our work depends on getting paid at the end of the day..

The avermedia wow, 60mb from a £120 device shame they don't use that as a base and make a pro vers. I'd easily pay 10x for that sample rate :-)

Anyways guys Thanks for replying... A.

Return to Live Production