Studio Dongle to Activation Code?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gary Coombs

Re: Studio Dongle to Activation Code?

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 12:43 am

Daniel Bănică wrote:It's very strange. It was mentioned that we will have the opportunity to change to licence code. That's why I bought a dongle and not waited for the licence. If I knew I would have waited.

Even though Backmagic people stated on this forum that we would be able to change a dongle to an activation code, before I bought Studio I wanted to make sure. I called Blackmagic on the phone and asked them if it was true that I would be able to get an activation code when 14 was released. I was assured that this was true. Based on Blackmagic's assurance, I purchased Studio 12.5 so I could get the advantage of beta Studio 14.

I'm very disappointed that Blackmagic has failed to honor their word.
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
15.6” OLED 4K (3840 x 2160) 16:9 Touch
Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK
32GB 2666MHz DDR4
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6
Latest Resolve Studio

Jack Daniel Stanley

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 am

Daniel Bănică wrote:It's very strange. It was mentioned that we will have the opportunity to change to licence code. That's why I bought a dongle and not waited for the licence. If I knew I would have waited.

Same here.
2018 Intel MacBookPro ~ Radeon Pro 560X, 4GB ~ Intel UHD Graphics 630, 1.5GB ~ 32GB 2400MHz DDR4
Blackmagic eGPU ~ Radeon Pro 580, 8GB
External SSD1:Media & Proxies ~ External SSD2:Cache
RESOLVE:18.6.4 ~ macOS:14.1.2

Tony Hulten

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 11:52 am

Have to say I'm disappointed they now don't switch out the dongles..

Nate Follmer

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Not trying to start a fire here, but 14 hasn't been out that long and has anyone from BMD actually say they weren't going to switch out the Dongles? I'm sure it's coming... My dongle is working fine for 12.5 and 14 right now - I have them both installed on my iMac and Macbook Pro.

Robert James

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Nate Follmer wrote:Not trying to start a fire here, but 14 hasn't been out that long and has anyone from BMD actually say they weren't going to switch out the Dongles? I'm sure it's coming... My dongle is working fine for 12.5 and 14 right now - I have them both installed on my iMac and Macbook Pro.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If you have the dongle already that will be your license key. If you have not received it yet tell your reseller you would like the activation license key. Activation license keys will only ship starting from today's release but be sure to specify the activation license key during the transition if that's what you need.

I think Peter address that in this quote.
Resolve Studio 14.1
Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM
M.2 System Drive, M.2 Media Drive (All other drives SSDs)
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G VC

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Gary Coombs wrote:

Even though Backmagic people stated on this forum that we would be able to change a dongle to an activation code, before I bought Studio I wanted to make sure. I called Blackmagic on the phone and asked them if it was true that I would be able to get an activation code when 14 was released. I was assured that this was true. Based on Blackmagic's assurance, I purchased Studio 12.5 so I could get the advantage of beta Studio 14.

Would you be able to PM me who you talked to? That is certainly not the message that we were supposed to be putting forward. Specifically we (read, my support team) weren't supposed to be making any commitment because that information was not known as the the details were not solidified.

I apologize if you feel you were given the wrong information. I, myself am not sure if this is something that will never be done, or if is just isn't possible at this time. I'm trying to get more detailed information on that now.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

timbutt2

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:
Gary Coombs wrote:

Would you be able to PM me who you talked to? That is certainly not the message that we were supposed to be putting forward. Specifically we (read, my support team) weren't supposed to be making any commitment because that information was not known as the the details were not solidified.

I apologize if you feel you were given the wrong information. I, myself am not sure if this is something that will never be done, or if is just isn't possible at this time. I'm trying to get more detailed information on that now.

I appreciate the Support Team working on getting more detailed information about this. It seems a lot of people were lead to believe that existing Studio users with dongles would be able to make the switch to the Activation Code. Myself included. Personally I don't mind the dongle on my desktop. It's the laptop I'd like to be able to run Studio dongle-free by using an Activation Code.

As Resolve has become such a full fledged editing platform there is more reason to need mobility with editing. One of the things I loved with PPro was that I could take my laptop and a travel drive with me and continue to work on a project on the go. Not needing a dongle on a laptop is key to this. However, I have tested going from Studio to non-Studio and back with a project. It works. So luckily you can do editing with either version and not worry about issues. Just don't use any of the Studio only features until you're finishing in Studio.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Christopher Dobey

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Thank you for chiming in Joshua. Since this question keeps coming up in duplicate threads, I believe it would be highly appreciated to be covered officially by a Blackmagic rep in the announcement section of the DaVinci Resolve Forum.
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Nicolas Horne

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Sjur Pollen wrote: I was also under the impression that those who bought a dongle would receive a licence when 14 was out if beta. Feel slightly misled, as I made the purchase based on this assumption.

not only assumption. the reseller claimed this would be the case, when i asked

i hope this is not just new 'alternative fact' territory, - ''the promise is now out of beta''... :?
Resolve Studio 18, MiniPanel, UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3, LG UltraFine 5K, Sony BVM-F250A, Promise Pegasus R4, OWC Envoy Pro EX VE 2TB SSD, OWC Thunderblade 2TB SSD, OWC ThunderBay Flex 8 48TB, 2021 MBP M1 Max 64GB, 2019 MBP Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, BMD eGPU

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 6:28 pm

Joshua, its highly unlikely we are all sharing the same dream here. This isn't Twin Peaks. We were told in this forum (well before the release of Resolve14) that the details were not known at the time of the post, but that those with a dongle would be able to move to a license activation key. I can't swear who told us weeks ago, but it might have been Peter. It was said. Stop this denial, please. You're a great company we all love and respect. Apologize if that is your only option or implement later as you are able, but BMD please stop irritating people with these denials.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Fahnon Bennett

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 7:02 pm

We're not dreaming:

From April 24th:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:We will announce details at final release. Our plan is all existing dongle users will be able convert to the non dongle license. All existing Studio users will have a no charge upgrade to v14 when released.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58542#p336108
Last edited by Fahnon Bennett on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Halper

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 7:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58542

It was Peter. He responded to a thread that I started, inquiring about switching to license activation from dongles.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We will announce details at final release. Our plan is all existing dongle users will be able convert to the non dongle license. All existing Studio users will have a no charge upgrade to v14 when released.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Sjur Pollen

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Seems quite few of us bought a dongle on the false premise that we would get a licence key with the final release of 14. Not cool :-/

Also Peter, if you could please shed som light on wether Fusion will get a license key instead of a dongle. (I asked in the Fusion forum, but no answer.) I'm holding off buying Fusion Studio because two dongles (I send clips between resolve and fusion all the time), on a laptop, is seriously impractical.
http://www.sjurpollen.com

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks, Fahnon and Mike. That's the note to which I was referring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Micha Clazing

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:Would you be able to PM me who you talked to? That is certainly not the message that we were supposed to be putting forward. Specifically we (read, my support team) weren't supposed to be making any commitment because that information was not known as the the details were not solidified.

As I've been in the exact opposite position from everyone else, namely that I don't want to transition to serial numbers, I've sent out a support enquiry a few weeks ago. I was told that dongles would continue to be sold after release, which also appears to be false at this time. Yes I'm sure you can somehow get dongles while stocks last at resellers, and there's the second hand market, but Peter said that new orders will be (exclusively) supplied with serial numbers at this point, which directly contradicts what I was told. I could forward you the email where that was said but I don't particularly feel like getting anyone in trouble when it appears to me that rather than being an issue with any one individual deviating from the company line, this is more an issue with Blackmagic as a whole trying to retcon assurances that have been widely communicated in the past. If it hadn't been clear that dongles were going to be converted to serial numbers (either optionally or mandatory), I wouldn't have sent the support enquiry in the first place.

Daniel Bănică

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 10:50 pm

To be honest.
Let's not be paranoic. The price has dropped 3 times lower. We should end this discussion.
Given the whole new product with such many new and better things we should be silent.
I myself thank BM for this software. 299 is not 999. We are getting ridiculous. And let's not forget the free of charge upgrades to newer versions. Not so many companies do this.

Christopher Dobey

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Daniel Bănică wrote:To be honest.
Let's not be paranoic. The price has dropped 3 times lower. We should end this discussion.
Given the whole new product with such many new and better things we should be silent.
I myself thank BM for this software. 299 is not 999. We are getting ridiculous. And let's not forget the free of charge upgrades to newer versions. Not so many companies do this.

+1

Not to mention 12 to 14 was free of charge :D
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Jack Daniel Stanley

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 12:12 am

Sure. This is a good point. We live in an age of amazing software at increasingly reasonable prices, with increasingly great performance on a variety of hardware specifications. And, it's clear that the BMD team is killing it and coming from a place with the best / right intentions.

However, like yourself...

I too would have waited. I'd tried the demo -- my 6k Red footage was running smoother than Premiere and I'd just started looking into Davinci due to some grading problems with Premiere.

Now, I'm on a Mid 2015, MBP. I need to be portable and can't afford a desktop and a laptop. Also - no good deed goes unpunished - so it's BMD's fault for making their software run so well even on a Macbook :). I was hooked. I was excited by and needed some of the features in the studio version and didn't want to wait. But I didn't want to be Dongle only since I use a macbook and they seem to have an ever decreasing number pf ports with each new model. I need the port real estate.

So, I checked this forum and found Mike's thread (who I know from DVXuser and RealWorld). Found the post everyone else saw. Checked my credit card balance. Asked Melrose Mac if they'd wait a couple of minutes for me if I didn't make it by closing, and dashed out in the rain hightailing it from North Hollywood to their Burbank Location. Got in just before the metal gate was closing. ChaChing. Happy customer.

But now I'm stuck with having the port taken up / plus the stress of keeping up with the dongle (it lives carabinered to my wallet chain, and I made a veclro resting place for the cap on top of my macbook screen).

The source thread was just posted here and BMD hasn't had a chance to respond since then. Given that, and the fact that some of us would have simply waited to purchase if we hadn't been assured otherwise -- I don't think the level of inquiry / request / interest in this thread is overly entitled or unappreciative of BMD's efforts yet.

It's been cited where the assurance was made, and they will or won't be able to honor it. I'll be a little bummed due to the macbook / dongle thing, but still psyched for DR14.
2018 Intel MacBookPro ~ Radeon Pro 560X, 4GB ~ Intel UHD Graphics 630, 1.5GB ~ 32GB 2400MHz DDR4
Blackmagic eGPU ~ Radeon Pro 580, 8GB
External SSD1:Media & Proxies ~ External SSD2:Cache
RESOLVE:18.6.4 ~ macOS:14.1.2

Sjur Pollen

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 12:23 am

Respectfully disagree.

Resolve 14, is indeed fantastic. The price is great. The devs have done an amazing job. Can't say enough nice things about it. However: it's still not okay to sell something under false pretence.

It's like ordering a car that is supposed to have a towbar, only to receive one without a towbar. It may still be an awesome car at an amazing price, but if you planned on taking your family on a caravan holiday that's hardly much comfort.

Add to that the seller, instead of replacing the car with the one you were promised, tells you to sell this one (at a loss), and then buy again. It's just not cool.

As a last note: "we should be silent"? Who is that helping, really? By letting blackmagic know they made a mistake, we actually help them, giving them a chance to clear it up, and we may also help some other new customers avoid the situation.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 2:05 am

I agree, but also not happy. I use Fusion Studio and Resolve Studio on my laptop. Both require a dongle. Fusion Studio 9 has no option for a serial number, but Resolve does. Two dongle on a laptop forces me to remove other devices, such as backup USB drives, or copy footages from the back drive to the internal SSD before starting Resolve and Fusion.

Resolve and Fusion both require dongles to be inserted in the USB port as long as the software is running. Had this been that dongle was required only to start the software and once dongle license is checked, the dongle can be removed, then, I had no problems to use the dongle. Since both of BM software require the dongle, therefore I want to get rid off at least one dongle. I look forward to BM honor the early announcement by Peter.

Jeff Brass

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 4:44 am

WT...? Can't say I'm happy. Bought a dongle on the advice from Peter that it could be swapped to a code once out. I love 14, think BMD is a fantastic innovating company, and love the price - but I just spent $550 (NZ dollars) on the understanding I could stop using the dongle soon. Plain wrong.

Had BMD come out with this fact earlier, I like others would have waited till the code was available.

bummer. Oh well, stuck with the PITA dongle and making sure to remember it before travelling
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Fahnon Bennett

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Curious to hear BMD's response to this now that we've pointed to why we all thought this was going to happen. Considering that, from an end user perspective, Peter and Joshua are both speaking for BMD equally (even using the same platform) and their words carry equal weight, I do think we deserve an official explanation from the company

Best case scenario would be a system in which you pop your dongle in and, one time use only, BMD gives you a license key.

This is assuming they can track the dongles and can make sure they can't be used again after that process.

timbutt2

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 4:23 pm

I've analyzed my 3 dongles. Each has a different number on the USB metal. So I'm going to try something for an idea: that number is the serial number of the dongle. Thus we can each give our dongle's serial number to BMD for an activation key. They keep a registration record. No two people can have a dongle serial number.

I could build an SQL database on my website to do exactly this theoretically. I use my SQL database for my blog/news/reviews on my website. But I learned enough about PHP and SQL databases to know that this is possible.

So what do you guys think? Do you think we could accurately give the serial numbers of the dongles to get an activation key?

Jacob Fenn

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 6:36 pm

+1

Just another disgruntled user here who bought a 12.5 dongle only because of Blackmagic's explicit statement that the dongle would be convertible to an activation code. Interestingly enough, Blackmagic's phone support defers to the expertise of the BM staff who post on the forums. Makes inaccurate forum posts especially problematic.
Written by an extremely average person.

Gary Coombs

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 am

Joshua Helling wrote:
Gary Coombs wrote:

I cannot, in good conscience, give you a name. It should be sufficient to show you this quote that appeared on this forum from Peter Chamberlain.
Peter Chamberlain wrote:
We will announce details at final release. Our plan is all existing dongle users will be able convert to the non dongle license. All existing Studio users will have a no charge upgrade to v14 when released.
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK
32GB 2666MHz DDR4
Latest Resolve Studio

Mike C Bonner

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 4:12 am

There have been a few responses on this thread suggesting that users can use the free version while on the move/on laptops, then use the dongle version when back at home. But I just experienced a problem that makes that option less than desirable.
I've used all the beta versions, then downloaded the free version when 14 was officially released. While working through a project, I experienced slow playback, and stuttering audio not previously seen in the studio betas. And this was with smart user cache files playing.
Remembering previous threads concerning the betas, a few users suggested slower performance with the free version compared to studio. I can now confirm this experience, since as soon as I plugged in my dongle and opened up the same project, everything played back fine. Not sure what performance features are lacking in the free version, but it seems to be true.
Considering that some users are looking to edit on mobile/less powerful machines, a frustrating editing experience with the free version means the necessity of carrying/plugging in the dongle.
I was feeling indifferent to converting my dongle to a license, but considering this on top of everything else, I hope that BMD can find a way to work this out.

Thanks BMD.

Sjur Pollen

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 10:00 am

Mike C Bonner wrote:There have been a few responses on this thread suggesting that users can use the free version while on the move/on laptops, then use the dongle version when back at home. But I just experienced a problem that makes that option less than desirable.
I've used all the beta versions, then downloaded the free version when 14 was officially released. While working through a project, I experienced slow playback, and stuttering audio not previously seen in the studio betas. And this was with smart user cache files playing.
Remembering previous threads concerning the betas, a few users suggested slower performance with the free version compared to studio. I can now confirm this experience, since as soon as I plugged in my dongle and opened up the same project, everything played back fine. Not sure what performance features are lacking in the free version, but it seems to be true.
Considering that some users are looking to edit on mobile/less powerful machines, a frustrating editing experience with the free version means the necessity of carrying/plugging in the dongle.
I was feeling indifferent to converting my dongle to a license, but considering this on top of everything else, I hope that BMD can find a way to work this out.

Thanks BMD.

The performance issue is real, and your experience most likely stems from the nvidia h264 hardware acceleration not being available in free version.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 pm

timbutt2 wrote:I've analyzed my 3 dongles. Each has a different number on the USB metal. So I'm going to try something for an idea: that number is the serial number of the dongle. Thus we can each give our dongle's serial number to BMD for an activation key. They keep a registration record. No two people can have a dongle serial number.

I could build an SQL database on my website to do exactly this theoretically. I use my SQL database for my blog/news/reviews on my website. But I learned enough about PHP and SQL databases to know that this is possible.

So what do you guys think? Do you think we could accurately give the serial numbers of the dongles to get an activation key?

This will not work. It is a far more complex matter.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Its a no win situation as for BM to keep supporting existing dongles , as i and with me i am sure lots of other dongle owners hope they keep doning , as well as allow for all the (also lots of) dongle owners who prefer to get it deplaced with a key , they would physicaly have to collect and replace the dongle with the key to prevent youfrom using both on different machines.
I do never see a company like BM act like a warehouse for recieving dongles for replacement. Logistical nightmare. So the decision they made is sound, but unfortunately tainted by a slip of the tongue here in the forum , probably pressured a bit by everyone speculating and asking what was happening. Its a bit like apple messing up the face recognition yesterday , that its bad PR, but that will fade in a few months.
It up to BM how they deal with the disgruntled users who got cuaght in the middle during the beta.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks guys for sending me the quote and link and making it really easy to find the information I requested.

I do think that wording was a bit vague. Peter did mention that being able to swap license was what they were planning to do. Seems that is not currently the case. I think we will probably work something out, we just don't have the mechanism in place right now to do it. Please take that at face value. I am also still waiting for information.

The guys were really busting their humps to get this software out. They really wanted to get it into your hands before IBC.

I just want to finish up by saying that we are still on this. We will get more information and get back to you with details.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

Micha Clazing

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:This will not work. It is a far more complex matter.

If the dongles aren't internally unique, you indeed have a problem because there is no way to blacklist individual dongles. If they are, you can simply write a piece of software which sends the dongle ID to blackmagic's servers where it gets blacklisted. The server then returns an activation code. From that point onward, the dongle won't work in future versions of Resolve. If you are concerned with people using old dongles with 12.x or the 14 betas, you could arrange a service where you mail your dongle to BM and they email you a code back.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Micha Clazing wrote:If the dongles aren't internally unique, you indeed have a problem because there is no way to blacklist individual dongles. If they are, you can simply write a piece of software which sends the dongle ID to blackmagic's servers where it gets blacklisted. The server then returns an activation code. From that point onward, the dongle won't work in future versions of Resolve. If you are concerned with people using old dongles with 12.x or the 14 betas, you could arrange a service where you mail your dongle to BM and they email you a code back.

I never said any of that, nor have I made any assertions about how the dongles work. I merely stated that it's a more complex matter than taking the hardware id off a dongle.

I see where you're going. And I get it. You want an activation code. I am hearing you, trust me. As mentioned before, I'm working on getting more information. Once I get it, so too will you guys.

That said. Anymore discussion about cracking, or hacking or circumvention of our software protection will get your post removed. If it happens after that, you will be removed from the forums. So please let's leave that here.

Let's make sure this post stays on topic, and solely revolves around the conversion of a physical dongle to an activation code.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

Santiago Marti

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 pm

So I just bought Resolve Studio online at B&H, but they told me the serial number comes in the box, but in my country I have to pay 200 dollars at customs just to receive the box with a serial number. Really in 2017 I am receiving a serial number flew with a plane to my phisical home???????
I had to cancel the order, it is ridiculous if it is in fact like that. Please, let me buy your software as if it was a software in 2017.

Micha Clazing

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:Anymore discussion about cracking, or hacking or circumvention of our software protection will get your post removed. If it happens after that, you will be removed from the forums.

Excuse me?

Earl R. Thurston

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:Anymore discussion about cracking, or hacking or circumvention of our software protection will get your post removed.

Where on Earth are you getting that idea? Nothing like that was being suggested, at least not in the post to which you were replying.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

timbutt2

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:I've analyzed my 3 dongles. Each has a different number on the USB metal. So I'm going to try something for an idea: that number is the serial number of the dongle. Thus we can each give our dongle's serial number to BMD for an activation key. They keep a registration record. No two people can have a dongle serial number.

This will not work. It is a far more complex matter.

Okay, thank you for responding to the idea. I'm sure it's far more complicated than what many of us are thinking. I appreciate you guys working on a solution.

Santiago Marti

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:09 pm

I bought Resolve from B&H, but they say that the serial number is in the box they send, wich in my country means 200 dollars more paid at customs. Had to cancel the order. Really???? 2017 and you send a serial number by plane to another country??!?!?!?

Mardy Dep

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:
Micha Clazing wrote: Anymore discussion about cracking, or hacking or circumvention of our software protection will get your post removed. If it happens after that, you will be removed from the forums. So please let's leave that here.

What in the world...? What is happening with blackmagic with this launch? I have not read a single post in here talking about cracking or hacking hahah. Dude, you need to chill out...

grahamtaustin

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 pm

That said. Anymore discussion about cracking, or hacking or circumvention of our software protection will get your post removed. If it happens after that, you will be removed from the forums. So please let's leave that here.

I think people are just trying to come up with a solution to converting their dongles as this is something that seemed to be on the table. Even at the new low price point of the software Resolve is what connects so much of your proprietary hardware together. People are just anxious to get setup on the new software with activation codes so they can work on laptops etc. without the need for a dongle.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Micha Clazing wrote:
Joshua Helling wrote:Anymore discussion about cracking, or hacking or circumvention of our software protection will get your post removed. If it happens after that, you will be removed from the forums.

Excuse me?

Yup, fair enough. I totally read that wrong, I apologize for that. I was not reading that as you were asking us to implement that system but saying that someone else could. Which of course we have to take seriously. But that's clearly not what you were saying.

So at the risk of sounding like a broken record, as soon as I have more info on this, i'll pass it along.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Santiago Marti wrote:So I just bought Resolve Studio online at B&H, but they told me the serial number comes in the box, but in my country I have to pay 200 dollars at customs just to receive the box with a serial number. Really in 2017 I am receiving a serial number flew with a plane to my phisical home???????
I had to cancel the order, it is ridiculous if it is in fact like that. Please, let me buy your software as if it was a software in 2017.

Hello Santiago,

Yeah, shipping to some other countries is very difficult and can be quite expensive. I'm not sure where you're having it sent, but it's possible that we have a dealer local to you (you can check on our website). Sometimes the price is a bit higher to buy locally because the reseller is covering importation costs.

I too would love to see a fully Electronic Software Delivery handled by us. We can't do it now, but I very much agree that it would be easier for everyone.
Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design Inc.

Jeff Brass

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks for the updates Joshua, appreciate it. It's always good to know we are heard.
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

timbutt2

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Yes, thank you Joshua for all the information. It definitely is helpful to know you guys are hearing us. I have no problem giving you guys the appropriate time to work out the details of how you'll implement all of this. For me I have plenty of dongles to be able to have the iMac and MacBook Pro covered for the time being.

Sjur Pollen

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 11:24 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:Thanks guys for sending me the quote and link and making it really easy to find the information I requested.

I do think that wording was a bit vague.

Just to add to the quotes and statements: Grant Petty, in his NAB 2017 Press Conference also made a comment that "We're getting rid of the dongle. You don't have to use a dongle anymore." I'm pretty sure I read/heard multiple statements from Blackmagic, and not just the one by Peter referenced above, painting pretty much the same picture, that dongles would be replaced by licence keys.

Steve Alexander

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 11:42 pm

For $299 you can replace your dongle. But seriously, maybe they don't have a means to disable the dongle (a necessary step to moving to software activation). Hopefully BMD will respond.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Fahnon Bennett

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 12:36 am

Steve Alexander wrote:For $299 you can replace your dongle. But seriously, maybe they don't have a means to disable the dongle (a necessary step to moving to software activation). Hopefully BMD will respond.

If that's the case, I'm sure everyone here would be as happy as I'd be to RMA my dongle and receive a license key via email. Hopefully that or something similar isn't difficult for BMD to do and there'll be a solution soon.

Gary Coombs

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 1:51 am

Fahnon Bennett wrote:
Steve Alexander wrote:For $299 you can replace your dongle. But seriously, maybe they don't have a means to disable the dongle (a necessary step to moving to software activation). Hopefully BMD will respond.

If that's the case, I'm sure everyone here would be as happy as I'd be to RMA my dongle and receive a license key via email. Hopefully that or something similar isn't difficult for BMD to do and there'll be a solution soon.

Agreed. I too look forward to a resolution and I'm very much looking forward to getting rid of this irritating dongle.
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK
32GB 2666MHz DDR4
Latest Resolve Studio

Ellory Yu

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 am

Totally disagree. I'm not paranoid. What you're saying is we should not complaint. When vendors fail to deliver, customer should complain. When customers complain, vendors should listen and adjust. It is not for customers to shut up and put up. And worse, people like you propel and instigate this kind of vendor behavior. So if you can't help voice for the public good, just shut up then.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 3:56 am

Sjur Pollen wrote:

Respectfully disagree.

Resolve 14, is indeed fantastic. The price is great. The devs have done an amazing job. Can't say enough nice things about it. However: it's still not okay to sell something under false pretence.

It's like ordering a car that is supposed to have a towbar, only to receive one without a towbar. It may still be an awesome car at an amazing price, but if you planned on taking your family on a caravan holiday that's hardly much comfort.

Add to that the seller, instead of replacing the car with the one you were promised, tells you to sell this one (at a loss), and then buy again. It's just not cool.

As a last note: "we should be silent"? Who is that helping, really? By letting blackmagic know they made a mistake, we actually help them, giving them a chance to clear it up, and we may also help some other new customers avoid the situation.

+1. Exactly!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 4:48 am

Thanks, Joshua. The motto printed on my money always has been, "In Grant We Trust." But that's an oversimplification as we really trust the Resolve team and others to be their best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve