Crushed Image in Resolve 14 Viewer for iMac

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Kokkoros

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Everybody,

After downloading Resolve v14 I noticed that imagery appeared crushed in the viewer.

Toggling on / off the "use Mac display color profile for viewer" made a difference but opposite to my expectations. Turning the feature "off" makes the viewer more accurate than when turned "on"

So I did a quick experiment to illustrate the issue with these two examples:

- Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6 camera;
- Apple ProRes 422 HQ

This is frustrating, does anybody with a similar issue?

Thanks! -m
Attachments
Example1.jpg
"use Mac display color profile for viewer" - Turned ON
Example1.jpg (409.34 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Example2.jpg
"use Mac display color profile for viewer" - Turned OFF
Example2.jpg (402.56 KiB) Viewed 856 times

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 3:57 am

Your Colour Science and Input Colour are both wrong I believe. Drop the DaVinci YRGB and the Rec.709 input to ACEScct colour science and the Blackmagic Design 4.6K Film v3 for the IDT assuming you shot with the Film setting, not the Video setting. Set the ACES ODT to Rec.709.

If you want to use Rec.709 as your output, set your monitor to show Rec.709 as well via System Preferences/Displays/Colour tab. Not perfect but you'll be close.

Also in your Resolve/Preferences/Hardware select 'use 10bit precision in viewers if possible.' Is CUDA correct for your GPU? Should be OpenCL or Metal if running Resolve 14 on an iMac if not using NVIDIA graphics.

Edit
Mark, if you follow the above advice on an existing project that you have graded, you may get very strange results. My recommendation may make more sense when you apply it to a new project. I know when I first tried ACES on an existing project, it was a mess, but it's been clear sailing on each new project since then. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Mark Kokkoros

Re: Crushed Image in Resolve 14 Viewer for iMac

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Rick Lang, Thank you for your assistance. I made all of changes you suggested and the results appear even more contrasty highly saturated. See example.

Also, yes I do have a Cuda GeForce GTX 780M. Do you think it's better to run OpenCL or Metal?
Attachments
After.jpg
After suggested system, project, etc changes.
After.jpg (255.45 KiB) Viewed 771 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve