Studio Dongle to Activation Code?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Studio Dongle to Activation Code?

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:54 am

I can see the statement "We will announce details at final release. Our plan is....." was been taken somewhat more definitively than intended. Plans often change as new issues come to light and we found more than a few.
As I've also mentioned elsewhere, we don't currently have a dongle exchange program, again new issues come to light since NAB. We are reviewing with the team what other options are available. In the meantime you can still use the new release.

The factory is making the new DaVinci Resolve Studio with the Activation License Key and they will be in the regional offices soon. Those that need dongles will still be able to order them. More details soon.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jason Tackaberry

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 pm

So even with the new model of activation codes there will still be a need to purchase a physical product from a reseller and have it shipped?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

sean mclennan

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 pm

Everyone calm down.

If you bought Resolve 12.5, good news, you have everything you need for fully functioning Resolve 14 Studio. You CAN work right now.

I too was excited by the news I could/would/maybe/possibly trade-in my dongle for a serial number as I was sure 14 was going to be the point where the free upgrades stopped and I'd have to buy this version.

Can you see Adobe or Avid or any of the others players in their area giving free major upgrades, versions after version? I've been on since v9! Haven't paid an extra penny since.

BM does right by their customers. They will figure things out. Have a "little" patience. 8-)

Ludovico Bettarello

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 12:24 am

Sean is right,

what's the point ?
u need to pay zero for an activation code ?
Blackmagic Design people are great, they ripped off Davinci Resolve 14 Studio for 299$ (259€ + tax)

i work alone as a colorist with my own rig, i have 2 dongle and soon as possible i'll buy the activation code
in case i'll need it.
as a colorist it's not a problem to spend around 300$ (300€) for a good software that do his job fu..ing well.

so i repeat loud : what's the point....
everything else cost much more than this.
sell off the dongle on ebay if u need money, or more simple grading more.

Blackmagic Design engineers rules...
____ vimeo.com/internonotte _____
nMP 8-core d700 64gb AMD FE 16gb R832TB Ultrastudio 4k PVMa250 Tangent Element BMD Editor Keyboard
nMP 6-core d700 64gb xMAC PRO SERVER 50TB raid SAS Ultrastudio 4k Mini double reader Red Alexa SBK 8U flightcase

PeterMoretti

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 1:43 am

All I can say is that Avid Symphony users have been asking for additional color correction features for going on almost 15 years now... to no avail (well they did get the ability to keyframe corrections). And they have to pay $300 every year to keep their software current.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Jeff Brass

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 2:26 am

Ludovico Bettarello wrote:Sean is right,

what's the point ?
Blackmagic Design people are great, they ripped off Davinci Resolve 14 Studio for 299$ (259€ + tax)

i work alone as a colorist with my own rig, i have 2 dongle and soon as possible i'll buy the activation code
in case i'll need it.
as a colorist it's not a problem to spend around 300$ (300€) for a good software that do his job fu..ing well.

well that's great that you can afford to pay again for the software you have already bought. And no one is disputing how far BMD and Resolve have come, and how well BMD listens.

Not all of us here are full time colorists. Many of us also shoot, and have plenty of other expenses (gear etc) to also pay for. Here in NZ it's $550...and having just paid $550 to buy resolve on the premise I can swap the dongle for a code then yeah...I feel a little peeved that that's not the case.

The dongle is no issue back at the studio, but like others, I'm on the road quite a lot. Just got back from a trip with very little internet, and yes - my fault - I left the dongle in the main edit bay. Result? no editing while away as I also didn't have a copy of lite with me and couldn't download.

Not sure why we shouldn't speak up when something goes wrong. I for one am not attacking BMD, just saying hey we got wrong information can we get some help.

The point is we were given info, it was wrong, and to sort it will cost us money. Fairly simple really.
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Gary Coombs

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 3:00 am

Jeff Brass wrote:
Ludovico Bettarello wrote:Sean is right,

what's the point ?

in case i'll need it.

well that's great that you can afford to pay again for the software you have already bought. And no one is disputing how far BMD and Resolve have come, and how well BMD listens.

Not all of us here are full time colorists. Many of us also shoot, and have plenty of other expenses (gear etc) to also pay for. Here in NZ it's $550...and having just paid $550 to buy resolve on the premise I can swap the dongle for a code then yeah...I feel a little peeved that that's not the case.

The dongle is no issue back at the studio, but like others, I'm on the road quite a lot. Just got back from a trip with very little internet, and yes - my fault - I left the dongle in the main edit bay. Result? no editing while away as I also didn't have a copy of lite with me and couldn't download.

Not sure why we shouldn't speak up when something goes wrong. I for one am not attacking BMD, just saying hey we got wrong information can we get some help.

The point is we were given info, it was wrong, and to sort it will cost us money. Fairly simple really.

Agreed. I really like what Blackmagic has done with DaVinci Resolve Studio 14, but I very definitely would have waited for the release of Studio before buying had I not been assured by Blackmagic that I would have an activation code at release and would no longer have to use a dongle.

Scott Heysen

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 3:36 am

I have to assume that if you take the time to join this forum you are in some way connected to, or work creating media. I have worked in the film industry for over 30 years in many various roles. The only constant is that things change, it does not matter how well something was planned, something else can come along and change everything. Plans can change. Peter stated what was planned, he did not give his personal guarantee. Yes its disappointing, but hey, at least the price is significantly lower than it has been previously. I bought a dongle a few weeks ago from eBay for $250 AUD including shipping from the US. I have also put in an order to my local reseller for a dongle-less version. Please don't complain about the price of Resolve, or they may change it to something really bad, like monthly subscription with an annual contract!
iMacPro 10core, 32GB, 2TB, Vega64 - 12.6.5
16" MacBookPro, 10core M1 Max, 64GB, 2TB - 13.4
14" MacBookPro, M2, 10core, 16GB, 512GB - 13.4
Various Pegasus RAIDs

Jeff Brass

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 4:01 am

Scott Heysen wrote:I have to assume that if you take the time to join this forum you are in some way connected to, or work creating media. I have worked in the film industry for over 30 years in many various roles. The only constant is that things change, it does not matter how well something was planned, something else can come along and change everything. Plans can change. Peter stated what was planned, he did not give his personal guarantee. Yes its disappointing, but hey, at least the price is significantly lower than it has been previously. I bought a dongle a few weeks ago from eBay for $250 AUD including shipping from the US. I have also put in an order to my local reseller for a dongle-less version. Please don't complain about the price of Resolve, or they may change it to something really bad, like monthly subscription with an annual contract!

30 years experience so I should just shut up... right??

BTW - never complained about the price - have stated several times how good it is - was pointing out that what we were lead to believe is different from reality.

Scott Heysen

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 4:10 am

Jeff Brass wrote:30 years experience so I should just shut up... right??
BTW - never complained about the price - have stated several times how good it is - was pointing out that what we were lead to believe is different from reality.

Actually, I wasn't replying to you (if I was, I would have quoted you like I have now), I was making a general observation and comment to all who visit the forum.
iMacPro 10core, 32GB, 2TB, Vega64 - 12.6.5
16" MacBookPro, 10core M1 Max, 64GB, 2TB - 13.4
14" MacBookPro, M2, 10core, 16GB, 512GB - 13.4
Various Pegasus RAIDs

Jeff Brass

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 4:31 am

Scott Heysen wrote:

Actually, I wasn't replying to you (if I was, I would have quoted you like I have now), I was making a general observation and comment to all who visit the forum.

and I am one of those who comment and visit the forum...so maybe not directly just to me but, intended for me as a reader of the forum.

but that's not the point of this thread - it's to get help to a situation some feel is wrong

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 5:57 am

Jeff Brass wrote:
Ludovico Bettarello wrote:

Bad example btw . Having an activation key based system, with the key active in your studio, also would not have helped you in this case as you would have before your trip deactivated that one first before you would be able to activate that one on the road.
Taking the dongle with you would have been less steps then that.
Just saying....
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Jeff Brass

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 11:07 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:
Jeff Brass wrote:

Bad example btw . Having an activation key based system, with the key active in your studio, also would not have helped you in this case as you would have before your trip deactivated that one first before you would be able to activate that one on the road.
Just saying....

Thanks Glenn. I totally misunderstood that part. I guess I could have gotten someone at the office to deactivate and then when I had some internet - albeit very slow - activated on laptop.

Moral of the story tho is make sure you are fully preped

Fahnon Bennett

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:
Jeff Brass wrote:

Just saying....

Well that depends on how BMD implements. My gf and I both use Adobe CC across 4-5 machines on the same account and don't worry about where we were last logged in, because Adobe was smart and allows you the option of signing out of any other instances of your account remotely. In the event that you don't have the internet, you can still use the software for a limited time.

I'd kinda expect that BMD would do the same if they're building something new in 2017.

PeterMoretti

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Jeff Brass wrote:
Scott Heysen wrote:

and I am one of those who comment and visit the forum...so maybe not directly just to me but, intended for me as a reader of the forum.

but that's not the point of this thread - it's to get help to a situation some feel is wrong

Jeff, you certainly have the right to express how you feel. And it does obviously have merit.

I imagine there aren't that many people who want to switch over. So if I were BMD I'd just allow people to send in a video of them clearly smashing/cutting their dongles beyond repair, and then provide a link to download a new software activation version of Studio.

Eliminates re-coding the activation routine or having to deal with a dongle mail back program.

JMH idea. :)
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Fahnon Bennett wrote:Well that depends on how BMD implements. My gf and I both use Adobe CC across 4-5 machines on the same account and don't worry about where we were last logged in, because Adobe was smart and allows you the option of signing out of any other instances of your account remotely. In the event that you don't have the internet, you can still use the software for a limited time.

I'd kinda expect that BMD would do the same if they're building something new in 2017.

Dont count on it.
Also you can deduct that yourselve. Do you think that when they say (as they did) that they physically ship keys, that they would do that if they have an online user account/registration system that allows you to do what you mentioned ?
If they had, they would also ship the key that way. So count on it to just be USB stick only in the form of a key. You treat it the same.

And for Mac if you want they have the app store version that allows you to run multiple copies without any reregistering.

And if you are really in a bad spot , without a key , without a usb , without internet, in the middle of the desert , just fire up the completely free Resolve Light, which should always be on your system as a backup. :mrgreen:

p.s. And do i have to remind you on the horrible beginnings of Adobes horrible cloud registration system ? Where people where locked out on critical jobs, could not access even their own documents (let alone operate the software) , which where in the cloud, etc etc etc. Just google if you blocked out that pain ;-)
So replacing a bad example with a worse example in a sense haha (but i understand what you mean, its just unlikely to happen)
Last edited by Glenn Venghaus on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Fahnon Bennett

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 8:49 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:
Fahnon Bennett wrote:Well that depends on how BMD implements. My gf and I both use Adobe CC across 4-5 machines on the same account and don't worry about where we were last logged in, because Adobe was smart and allows you the option of signing out of any other instances of your account remotely. In the event that you don't have the internet, you can still use the software for a limited time.

Dont count on it.
Also you can deduct that yourselve. Do you think that when they say (as they did) that they physically ship keys, that they would do that if they have an online user account/registration system that allows you to do what you mentioned ?
If they had, they would also ship the key that way. So count on it to just be USB stick only in the form of a key. You treat it the same.

And for Mac if you want they have the app store version that allows you to run multiple copies without any reregistering.

And if you are really in a bad spot , without a key , without a usb , without internet, in the middle of the desert , just fire up the completely free Resolve Light, which should always be on your system as a backup. :mrgreen:

But they've also said that you can log out on one machine, then log in on another. Seeing that they have that capability, it doesn't seem like a stretch to be able to have you log out from another location.

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 8:53 pm

We can only wait and see. Or you just buy another key or usb for that low price . Then you are always covered and you support this amazing piece of software , which you would have likely paid e few times for by now compared to the yearly adobe subscription. See it as part of the 700 $ price drop compared to 12.x

PeterMoretti

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:... And if you are really in a bad spot , without a key , without a usb , without internet, in the middle of the desert , just fire up the completely free Resolve Light, which should always be on your system as a backup. :mrgreen:

Actually, attempting to install the Studio and the free versions on the same system is not recommended.

LukeCypert

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Yeah, it seems if we mailed our dongles to Blackmagic they should send us a key :?:

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm in the camp of "just buy another copy" prices dropped 66%, you can buy 3 r14 license at the price of 1 r12 license.

If you use it for work, it cost less than a couple of dinner out.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:37 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:
Glenn Venghaus wrote:Actually, attempting to install the Studio and free versions on the same system is not recommended.

Ah you are on windows. True. For mac its so easy, (provided you also use a postgreSQL )
Have 12 studio, 14 studio and 14 free happily next to reach other and can switch at will. No crazy registries to think of ;-)
All connected to their own database to prevent any crazyness.
Copied my 12 db and upgraded the copy to 14 so have access to any old project either with 14 or with 12 in case of issue (eg when there is lots of audio automation that still need to be edited, which is not yet possible in 14)

But i digress. Just get 2 or 3 copies (keys or dongles whatever you prefer) and all your problems go away ;-)
Even 3 copies is still cheaper then 1 resolve license a few months ago.

Micha Clazing

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 2:37 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:Actually, attempting to install the Studio and the free versions on the same system is not recommended.

Honestly, if we're grilling Blackmagic for things they should do/have done, I have another one: just offer one download/install, and provide free functionality by default, and unlock studio features by inserting the dongle or activating a serial number.

It's already the case that the free version can load Studio projects from the disk database, it simply shows a watermark whenever paid features are used. Studio could do the same based on the activation status.

Daniel Bănică

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Micha Clazing wrote:
PeterMoretti wrote:Actually, attempting to install the Studio and the free versions on the same system is not recommended.

Honestly, if we're grilling Blackmagic for things they should do/have done, I have another one: just offer one download/install, and provide free functionality by default, and unlock studio features by inserting the dongle or activating a serial number.

It's already the case that the free version can load Studio projects from the disk database, it simply shows a watermark whenever paid features are used. Studio could do the same based on the activation status.
That's a good idea.

timbutt2

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Update from Paul Saccone on Facebook:

Good news! We are going to offer DaVinci Resolve Studio Software Activation keys to everyone that has a dongle. This includes customers who had dongles provided with their cameras.

You MUST provide proof of purchase AND the serial number from your existing dongle (this is not the same as the dongle ID; it was included with the dongle packaging). If you got your dongle with a camera, then you MUST provide your camera serial number AND proof of purchase. Obviously, all of this needs to be registered to you. If you purchased your dongle on eBay or something, then you are not eligible for this offer.

You will NOT get an activation key if you do not provide the required information. NO EXCEPTIONS.

To get your activation key, please contact BMD support. The process may take a few days, so please be patient!

Best of all, you get to keep the dongle too, so now you’ll have both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Daniel Bănică

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 9:48 pm

timbutt2 wrote:Update from Paul Saccone on Facebook:

Good news! We are going to offer DaVinci Resolve Studio Software Activation keys to everyone that has a dongle. This includes customers who had dongles provided with their cameras.

You MUST provide proof of purchase AND the serial number from your existing dongle (this is not the same as the dongle ID; it was included with the dongle packaging). If you got your dongle with a camera, then you MUST provide your camera serial number AND proof of purchase. Obviously, all of this needs to be registered to you. If you purchased your dongle on eBay or something, then you are not eligible for this offer.

You will NOT get an activation key if you do not provide the required information. NO EXCEPTIONS.

To get your activation key, please contact BMD support. The process may take a few days, so please be patient!

This is very funny. Isn't the dongle itself a proof of ownership? I don't have the proof of purchase anymore since I bought the dongle 2 years ago.
It seems I'm stuck with the dongle. Anyway it's not the end of the world.

Robert James

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Daniel Bănică wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:Update from Paul Saccone on Facebook:

This is very funny. Isn't the dongle itself a proof of ownership? I don't have the proof of purchase anymore since I bought the dongle 2 years ago.

I was a little peeved that 3rd party sales where not eligible, but you know at the end of the day BMD needs to make money, and If they continue to innovate Resolve like they have been I will be more then happy to part with 300 bucks.

Hey don't tell BMD this, but at 300.00 bucks Resolve is a STEAL!... :lol:
Resolve Studio 14.1
Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM
M.2 System Drive, M.2 Media Drive (All other drives SSDs)
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G VC

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 am

Daniel Bănică wrote:This is very funny. Isn't the dongle itself a proof of ownership? I don't have the proof of purchase anymore since I bought the dongle 2 years ago.

Always save the electronic receipts :-) I have e-mail copies of receipts of all the software since past 10 years. You never know when you may need it.

Gary Coombs

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 1:20 am

I've sent an email to Blackmagic Support and attached a scan of the label on the back of my DaVinci Resolve Studio box and a scan of my B&H proof of purchase.

I'm impressed with Blackmagic and how quickly they solved the dongle to activation code problem. They are a class organization! They've gone beyond my expectation!
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
15.6” OLED 4K (3840 x 2160) 16:9 Touch
Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK
32GB 2666MHz DDR4
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6
Latest Resolve Studio

Gary Coombs

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 5:08 pm

DaVinci Resolve Studio Activation Code received and applied.
Dongle is no longer required!
Thank you Blackmagic!
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK
32GB 2666MHz DDR4
Latest Resolve Studio

Jean Claude

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 5:37 pm

I do not have the same needs as some: as long as a Davinci dongle works 100% :)
I've already experienced stories with the Avid dongle ...... and it was so much simpler with dongle. Finally...See you. Crackers are going to do business .... :?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Daniel Bănică

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm

I also think BMD should take into consideration the fact that with this approach of serials and prove of purchase confirmation people will sell their dongle while having the activation code.
The best approach now is to buy a new dongle for 299 and then ask for the activation code. That will give you 2 licences in fact.

Gary Coombs

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Daniel Bănică wrote:I also think BMD should take into consideration the fact that with this approach of serials and prove of purchase confirmation people will sell their dongle while having the activation code.
The best approach now is to buy a new dongle for 299 and then ask for the activation code. That will give you 2 licence in fact.

BMD says that if you purchase after release, you must make the decision between dongle or activation code. A dongle purchased after release cannot be used to also obtain an activation code.
As far as selling my dongle now that I have an activation code? My own integrity would never allow me to even consider such a thing.
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK
32GB 2666MHz DDR4
Latest Resolve Studio

Pavel Lavrov

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Gary Coombs wrote:
Daniel Bănică wrote:I also think BMD should take into consideration the fact that with this approach of serials and prove of purchase confirmation people will sell their dongle while having the activation code.
The best approach now is to buy a new dongle for 299 and then ask for the activation code. That will give you 2 licence in fact.

BMD says that if you purchase after release, you must make the decision between dongle or activation code. A dongle purchased after release cannot be used to also obtain an activation code.
As far as selling my dongle now that I have an activation code? My own integrity would never allow me to even consider such a thing.

If I understand what was stated correctly (by BMD) then if you sell your dongle, you’re selling the key as well. The seller will be able to claim it as it’s linked to a dongle serial. They also mentioned that it’s possible to get “deactivated” once another device is using a key.

(If you’re off line, that’s another story)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Pavel Lavrov

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Gary Coombs wrote:

If I understand what was stated correctly (by BMD) then if you sell your dongle, you’re selling the key as well. The seller will be able to claim it as it’s linked to a dongle serial. They also mentioned that it’s possible to get “deactivated” once another device is using a key.

Pavel L

Daniel Bănică

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Pavel Lavrov wrote:
Gary Coombs wrote:

So your saying that if someone bought a dongle from a 3rd party without the purchase confirmation and the serial on the pack then he might lose the ability to use the dongle if the seller claims for an activation code? That would be inappropriate.

Pavel Lavrov

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Daniel Bănică wrote:
Pavel Lavrov wrote:
Gary Coombs wrote:[quote="Daniel Bănică"]I also think BMD should take into consideration the fact that with this approach of serials and prove of purchase confirmation people will sell their dongle while having the activation code.

So your saying that if someone bought a dongle from a 3rd party without the purchase confirmation and the serial on the pack then he might lose the ability to use the dongle if the seller claims for an activation code? That would be inappropriate.[/quote]

I believe that what they were saying. Also dongles that were sold with cameras are linked as well to the camera serial.

Pavel L

Micha Clazing

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 pm

Whatever, I'm just happy I get the best of both worlds without paying a dime extra: a key for my laptop and the dongle that I already have for my workstation. Thanks Blackmagic <3

Mike Halper

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 pm

What's the email address to send the request with attachments? The form on the website doesn't have an option to attach anything and no email address was supplied in the sticky post at the top of the forum.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Fahnon Bennett

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Mike Halper wrote:What's the email address to send the request with attachments? The form on the website doesn't have an option to attach anything and no email address was supplied in the sticky post at the top of the forum.

I used Dropbox to put a link in the web form. Did it yesterday and already got notification that they'll be sending me a key over the next couple of days.

It's really great that BMD did it this way.

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 9:24 am

Its how you deal with "existing" customers that makes all the difference between a good company and an AWESOME company.
Too many times you see that once your money has landed , you are not interesting anymore and its all about the next sale. Smaller shops do not have that problem and you generaly remain a valued customer for which no support request is too crazy.
Larger companies have the challenge to balance both, but success lies in existing customer satisfaction, post sales support etc..

Fernando Hermoso

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:59 am

I have been a customer for many years when I still only made video cards.

I bought their cards, their cameras and their software for years, but today I can say that I congratulate the great company in which it has become.

Today I got the mail with my two activation codes (I have two dongles), and after the request on Friday has been fulfilled in the most transparent possible, with extraordinary help at all times by mail.

I can check how my money invested in Blackmagic does not go by the toilet, and acquires the value that for me really has.

once again THANK YOU, give great support.

Greetings.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Fernando Hermoso wrote:I have been a customer for many years when I still only made video cards.

I bought their cards, their cameras and their software for years, but today I can say that I congratulate the great company in which it has become.

Today I got the mail with my two activation codes (I have two dongles), and after the request on Friday has been fulfilled in the most transparent possible, with extraordinary help at all times by mail.

I can check how my money invested in Blackmagic does not go by the toilet, and acquires the value that for me really has.

Greetings.

Ummm... you applied for activation on Friday and got it. I sent details on Thursday and still no activation, though details and serial numbers were accepted.

Fernando Hermoso

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
Fernando Hermoso wrote:I have been a customer for many years when I still only made video cards.

Greetings.

Ummm... you applied for activation on Friday and got it. I sent details on Thursday and still no activation, though details and serial numbers were accepted.

I was told 1 to 3 working days, it may depend on different areas of assistance, and some areas have more demand than others, I do not know, but you will not doubt that you will get your code.

JP Perry

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 pm

Seeking some additional clarification after Peter's recent post: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64727

...This offer is to any customer who purchased DaVinci Resolve with a dongle, and it's quite a nice update because technically you can keep using your dongle as well as the license key on separate systems if you want to. It's like a second license for free.

Is this offer available for future dongle purchases or just past purchases? And you can use the two licenses to run Resolve 14 on two of your systems simultaneously?
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Fahnon Bennett

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 7:52 pm

JP Perry wrote:Seeking some additional clarification after Peter's recent post: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64727

...This offer is to any customer who purchased DaVinci Resolve with a dongle, and it's quite a nice update because technically you can keep using your dongle as well as the license key on separate systems if you want to. It's like a second license for free.

Is this offer available for future dongle purchases or just past purchases? And you can use the two licenses to run Resolve 14 on two of your systems simultaneously?

I was told in an email on Friday "you should expect to receive an email from us in a few days with an activation code."

A few days means less than a week to me, so I'd assume they'll send it soon (it's only been 1 business day).

Lee Gauthier

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:03 pm

A few days means less than a week to me, so I'd assume they'll send it soon (it's only been 1 business day).

As a general rule of thumb, if an issue is not an emergency, I double any estimate made by someone working at another company.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:49 am

Anyway, mine came today evening. My earlier post was out of curiosity, not a complaint. Thanks to BM. Now I have one USB port free when I use Resolve and Fusion both at the same time.

timbutt2

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Very pleased to say my Activation Code is on its way! So happy! Thank you Peter and BMD team!
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Ditto!

Rick Lang
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve