Atem TV Studio - Mac's not showing up

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alex Reed

Atem TV Studio - Mac's not showing up

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 6:26 pm

I have a few Atem TV Studios and I love the size and most options. I am having a problem getting any Macintosh computer to recognize it and output on HDMI. I have tried setting to 720P- 59.94 and 1080i 59.94 and neither one of them will work. Anyone else having this problems? Very frustrating that I cannot get Macs to connect but can get PC's and my cameras to work.

Love any help and feedback from anyone else having this issue.

Alex Reed

Re: Atem TV Studio - Mac's not showing up

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm

So I did some more testing and this seems to be a problem with the HDCP handshake between the ATEM and Macs. Anyone else having this issues?

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 pm

I had an issue with some of my Mac minis a few years ago. you would set the output for 59.94, yet the graphics card would really be outputting 60. even switchresx could not produce a true 59.94 output. in both cases the Mac stated it was sending 59.94, but 60 is what appeared at the output. a decimator md-hx was the final fix.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 8:44 pm

found a pix, shows Mac set to 59.94 but converted SDI output actually 60...a frustrating issue

Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Brian Hancock

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 3:16 pm

this is 100% a mac software problem ... run boot camp on the same mac no issue at all not a hardware problem ... very very frustrating for apple to have limited their software's flexibility in this manner.

Asgeir Hustad

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 10:34 am

I believe this can be corrected by sending the Mac HDMI output through a Mini/Micro Converter.

Connect the Mini Converter, enter Display Options, "Collect windows" (not sure what the english version of OS X says here), set the Mini Converter output to your resolution and frame rate. Has saved my ass a few times to have an extra converter laying around.

Of course, I'm in Europe and using 50fps, not 59.94, so YMMV.

Marco Corzani

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 pm

I am using a software called switchresx. Works like a charm on my MacBook Pro. You can choose any output resolution you can imagine.

ColinMulcahy

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Marco,

You say you can get any resolution out? Can you get 1080p 25 out? I Can't.

Colin
4K setup with 6 x URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (G1 & G2), 2 x BMDPCC 6K, BMD 4/ME Broadcast 4K, 6 x Hyperdeck Studio 12G's, CCU, Advanced Panel with all the other BMD units for Live Production.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 1:09 pm

PC's Mac's they don't go that low as 25P.. Those videocards are build for 50+ FPS.. and rather 70/80 /120 Fps then 25..

If you want to run your atem in 25 which will introduce more problems.. Then you need a converter between your PC / Mac and the switcher.. something like a Decimator MD-HX.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ColinMulcahy

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:PC's Mac's they don't go that low as 25P.. Those videocards are build for 50+ FPS.. and rather 70/80 /120 Fps then 25..

If you want to run your atem in 25 which will introduce more problems.. Then you need a converter between your PC / Mac and the switcher.. something like a Decimator MD-HX.

Hey @xtreemtec, Could you help out. I'm trying to figure out settings with ATEM and Camera Control.

Why do believe 25p causes more issues?

Firstly I was setting up the BUMPS as 1080i50 to work with the ATEM and macs etc. When I connect the BUMP's to the TVSHD, the camera control software seems to override the camera settings. Now when I look at camera the shutter angle changes to 360 on the camera from 180. Is this right?

I want to be able to take the recorded footage later and pop it onto a 25p timeline and sync with audio recording from external recorder if I need to fine tune a HD version of the live broadcast for arching and sharing with clients.
4K setup with 6 x URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (G1 & G2), 2 x BMDPCC 6K, BMD 4/ME Broadcast 4K, 6 x Hyperdeck Studio 12G's, CCU, Advanced Panel with all the other BMD units for Live Production.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 12:45 pm

ColinMulcahy wrote:Firstly I was setting up the BUMPS as 1080i50 to work with the ATEM and macs etc. When I connect the BUMP's to the TVSHD, the camera control software seems to override the camera settings. Now when I look at camera the shutter angle changes to 360 on the camera from 180. Is this right?

Yes this is normal behaviour.. The Atem is always Master if you connect it. And will overwrite ALL parameters that are set in the camera. ;)

So every setting will then be controlled by Atem CCU control.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Wayne Rutherford

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 2:38 pm

I bought a Datavideo DAC70 converter.
Needed to run ski about 75 feet from podium laptop.
worked perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... pJ875UlbAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=OpJ875UlbAs

Return to Live Production