Edit index window

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Justin Stephenson

Edit index window

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 11:02 pm

I feel like I'm mostly engaging the forum to "resolve" some kind of issue. This post is really about praise for Davinci Resolve. I've just finished, all in Resolve, offlining, conforming and basic comping a 1200+ shot project with effects, animation and camera sources from everywhere. The Edit Index window is one of the most important tools I've seen since non-linear editing became a thing.

Viewing and searching by marker, flag, colour, type, codec, etc, made navigating and organizing this project a breeze. It was easy to come up with a taxonomy on-the-fly for tasks at hand while respecting the overall organization of the project.

On to coloring now!
Justin Stephenson
Moving Image Designer
http://justinstephenson.com
---------
18.6.4 Studio, W11 Pro, 13700K, Z690 ASUS ProArt, lots of M.2, NAS w 10Gbe mass storage, 128GB RAM, RTX4090, UltraStudio Monitor 3G -> FSI DM240. Micro Panel, Speed Editor.

Sjur Pollen

Re: Edit index window

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 8:46 am

Hi Justin.

May I ask if you could please elaborate a bit on how you used the edit index, and how it helped your workflow? Always interesting to hear how other people utilize different features of resolve.
http://www.sjurpollen.com

Roen Davis

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 9:07 am

+1
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Paul Ingvarsson

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 10:59 am

I totally agree with this, I often export the edit index to a spreadsheet too so that production can look through sources that have been used etc. I always have the edit index open, and you can configure different column layouts too and filter results based on those columns. DS used to have something similar, but it was more the construct of the sequence rather than the customisable listing the edit index gives you.

Edit index and 'C' mode sorting in the color page are my favourite individual features that i've not seen anywhere else.

Paul
Paul Ingvarsson
StormHD
Strongbox DX-G (Dual e5-2690 v3 64GB)
RTX3090 | Decklink 4K Pro
Eizo CG3145
Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 19042.1202

Justin Stephenson

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 2:02 pm

I use clip colours, flags and markers a lot to categorize materials: overlays, effects shots, work in progress, material requiring revisions etc. The view by colour, view by marker, view by flag allows me to navigate through the timeline very quickly to find these shots.

Exporting a CSV from the edit index window allows me to produce lists that I can use for various tasks when working with animation, editing assistants etc.

I have also found that searching by codec and resolution is helpful in finding materials from a specific source: IE all the Alexa footage.

The one thing I would love to see would be the ability to select clips in the timeline using the edit index window (right click - select in timeline?). This would make it a super breeze to, for example, select specific clips and assign a colour or bring up in the media management tool to send to compositing.

The edit index window, for me, is a very flexible and easy way of accessing the materials of my edit based on user assigned, and baked in metadata information. It is like an edit database tool.
Justin Stephenson
Moving Image Designer
http://justinstephenson.com
---------
18.6.4 Studio, W11 Pro, 13700K, Z690 ASUS ProArt, lots of M.2, NAS w 10Gbe mass storage, 128GB RAM, RTX4090, UltraStudio Monitor 3G -> FSI DM240. Micro Panel, Speed Editor.

Roen Davis

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Justin Stephenson wrote:The one thing I would love to see would be the ability to select clips in the timeline using the edit index window (right click - select in timeline?). This would make it a super breeze to, for example, select specific clips and assign a colour or bring up in the media management tool to send to compositing.

The "usage" feature could benefit from something like this. The inverse of reveal in Media Pool.
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Return to DaVinci Resolve