How do you get embedded audio out of the Mini Monitor?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jamievbred

How do you get embedded audio out of the Mini Monitor?

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 2:12 am

According the specs it supports 8 channels of embedded audio... Can't seem to figure out how to extract them.

My Receiver only sees two audio channels, as well as the OS.

Would love to monitor in 7.1 rear surround.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

jamievbred

Re: How do you get embedded audio out of the Mini Monitor?

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 12:58 am

Anybody have any ideas?

jamievbred

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Can anyone from support please address this issue?

Thanks!

Jamie

Jonathan Spafford

PostFri May 24, 2013 6:10 am

I'm wondering this too. Why can't anyone answer?

Udi Shemesh

PostWed Jul 16, 2014 7:15 pm

We were struggling with the same issue for hours.
Audio Midi Setup application, sees the Blackmagic Mini Monitor as a 16 channel device, with only 2 channels enabled/active.
We were able to output 8 audio channels over SDI, but so far no luck with HDMI.
The goal was to monitor 5.1 Surround over HDMI, going into a Pioneer receiver.

We used Premiere CS6 and CC with same results.

At some point we assumed that the Decklink Mini Monitor is sending out Encoded Surround over 2 channels, so by setting the receiver to Dolby surround pro logic ii, we got the desired effect, but we were not confident with the setup. Ideally we would get 6 discrete channels over HDMI, and let the receiver map each input to a speaker.

Is that possible with the Blackmagic Mini Monitor over HDMI?

Some help would be appreciated.
BrightSign Digital Signage
System Design
Video Content Production

The CSI Group
11 Farview Ter
Paramus NJ
Tel: 201 587 1400
http://thecsigroup.com

NykFry

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 11:38 pm

Windows 10 and 7 (two machines with equally useless results with the DeckzLink Mini Monitor)

I too would love enlightenment on this as I have spent days trying various things and many rounds of useless (read incompetent) customer support. The DeckLink Mini Monitor simply will not send a surround signal to the receiver, at least one which it can lock to. It remains in only 2 channel mode, yet other devices (BD player, GV HDSpark card) can put the receiver into proper (direct, not pseudo) surround mode.

In Resolve, I can see the 8 channels metering, but cannot hear above channel 2, which is obvious because the receiver is only seeing two channels. It's not a receiver setting as it should just switch to direct 7.1 automatically, and doing so manually still only allows channels 1 & 2 only.

It's very frustrating, as my experience of BMD support has been they simply revert to blame me (I've been doing this work for 30 years, and can make other systems work!), but seems they do this because as I ask more questions it reveals they (at least the one person I have been emailing) don't really know how surround sound works. They say they tested the Mini Monitor on my behalf, but with a Tektronix test rig (I tremble, LOL) confirming all eight channels were there, however I pointed out this is not the same as connecting to an HDMI receiver and getting it to go into surround mode, to which I have yet no response. They just want to keep blaming my setup of the applications I'm using, but I keep telling them that's all moot when the receiver is simply not going into surround mode based on what the Mini Monitor is (or isn't) sending.

So, if anyone has got a DeckLink mini Monitor to function in real HDMI surround, in Windows (latest drivers, yes) then please let me know so I have hope! Oh, and tell me how you did it!

JPOwens

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 2:17 am

This problem my not be limited to MiniMonitor basically because I have been mystified by the lack of Surround on HDMI out of my 4KExtreme.

My workaround was to push the HD-SDI from the BMD 4K to an AJA SDI-HDMI converter and use a dis-embedder to split out the Surround. I used to use an HDLink to do this and I suppose that would still work, but then I have this issue of spreading out a rat's nest of cables and sync delays.

jPO, CSI

NykFry

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Thank you, but in my case, despite all the correct routing, and seeing metering in Resolve or Media Express, or Edius, I cannot even hear channels above 2, not just stereo of all 8, so it seems not to be so embedded as much as not there at all? Can you hear all 8?

Regardless, WTF? Surely this cannot be what any customer would expect. It specs HDMI 8CH, so we plug it into our receivers like we'd assume, and this?. Other devices can do it. Anyway, BMD need to get to the bottom of this, as my confidence is waining. Latest from customer support has been to suggest I need tutorials, this after they have displayed the inability to read emails in detail, and seem completely clueless about how this is all supposed to work anyway, or at least want us to think they are.

John Paines

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 6:40 pm

NykFry wrote:The DeckLink Mini Monitor simply will not send a surround signal to the receiver, at least one which it can lock to.

I can't help you directly on this matter, but I'd be curious to know if you succeeded in getting the receiver to output a video signal to the monitor, from decklink HDMI input. All I could achieve was intermittent video (would play a few seconds, then go black, then play a few seconds, regularly), though I believe the audio was continuous.

I'm wondering if the way the receiver handles the input from the mini-monitor is the actual limitation here?

Chris Holmes

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 5:54 pm

I have been able to get 5.1 to run from the mini monitor 4K via hdmi to my Marantz receiver, and then run a video signal from the Marantz to my monitor.. I switch back to my 12g extreme for coloring. The I/O has to be correct with channel 3 and 4 switched, and I found the use system audio checkbox has to be unchecked.
System Info
Resolve Studio 14.3
Windows 10 Pro version 1709
SuperMicro 7048GR-TR
Dual 18 Core / 4x 1080ti / Cubix Xpndr

Chip.Murphy

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Are you plugging this into a consumer HDMI surround sound receiver? If so, it'll never work in surround since it's not encoded in a Dolby 5.1 codec.

Frank Wylie

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 3:13 pm

I posted a similar question in another thread, but was inquiring about these type units: https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Splitter-Optical-Converter-DotStone/dp/B01KYURMEW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1523889145&sr=8-9&keywords=hdmi+audio+extractor+splitter

My concern is that the video signal might be somehow altered when passing through the device...
Frank Wylie

Return to Post Production