Tamron SP Primes working on pro?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brad Grobler

Tamron SP Primes working on pro?

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 7:16 am

Hey guys,

Just checking if the Tamron SP primes 35mm,45mm, 85mm are working on the Ursa mini pro as they are still not working on the Ursa mini.

This is very bad from Blackmagic in my opinion as even my super cheap Chinese E to Ef adapters work with them no problem. Only Blackmagic cant seem to get it right.

Denny Smith

Re: Tamron SP Primes working on pro?

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 5:38 pm

If they do not work on the Ursa Mini, not going to work on the Pro, same lens control system.
The issue is Tamron will not provide testing samples to BM to see what the issue is. BM is following Canon EF specifications, which work with most EF lenses, Tamron is one of the the exception, along with a few older Canon EF lenses. So the issue is with Tamron, no BM, and expecting BM to burn the testing samples for a minor market share lens is not realistic. :mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Grobler

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 6:22 pm

How do Chinese companies making cheap EF to E mount adapters get it right then?

How can they work on Sony, Panasonic and many other cameras and not Blackmagic
Are you saying everyone else can get these lenses but not Blackmagic

Makes no sense

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 7:59 pm

I do not know, I do not use Chinese knock off products, nor do I use the Canin EF mount, or anything Canon/Tamron. I only know what BM said in another post on this same subject, that Tamron uses a different protocol setting, and they (Tamron) will not supply BM with any testing lenses to work this out from. The EF standards are very "loose" with several protocol versions out there and various copies, and not all copies get it right.

Yes Brad, it is very confusing-- another reason to avoid anything EF in my book. Canon makes some nice glass, have used their B4 ENG lenses, but I think the EF mount is best left on the still cameras it was designed for. The new Canon Locking EF mount, might solve some of the issues, but I am sticking with manual PL mount lenses, which Canon also makes, and I would consider using. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:54 pm

The Tamron SP zooms should be working on the Mini Pro.

The 15-30 f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8 and the 70-200mm f2.8
We were able to get access to these from Tamron.

This functionality will also come across to the URSA Mini EF cameras next time we do a major software update but it does require firmware so might not be in the next release. We are yet to be able to access the primes from Tamron and will add this functionality in a software update when we are able to get them and test them.

All of this takes time and effort at our end and is not as straight forward as you are making out.
We currently support a huge range of EF, B4 and PL lenses with URSA Mini and are building on this list all the time.

Brad Grobler

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks Tim,

Thats the news I have been desperately waiting for, there may be a chance that the primes could work then on the update if the zooms work. Especially the new 85mm

Hopefully the update comes soon :)

Tor Johansen

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 7:12 pm

I can confirm that the Tamron 45mm and 85mm primes are fully functional on the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K. I have also tested the Tamron 15-30mm 2.8 and that works as well.

Brad Grobler

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 9:05 am

Iv updated to 4.3.1 and still nothing.
Please help guys this is ridiculous had this camera for months now and cant use my primes.

Adam Silver

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 9:29 am

Brad Grobler wrote:Iv updated to 4.3.1 and still nothing.
Please help guys this is ridiculous had this camera for months now and cant use my primes.

You've had the pro for months? It just came out. Tor just confirmed that the 45mm and 85mm work. The only one not confirmed is the 35mm.

Adam

Brad Grobler

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Not the pro, the 4.6K.

Been trying to get these lenses to work for months and they suppose to work after the update but they still not.

They are working on the pro

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am

Brad those lenses are working on the Mini Pro as mentioned above...

Most of the time lens manufacturers do not provide us with the information to get their lenses working... we have to do it ourselves. This is the case with the Tamrons and these things take time and resources to get them working.

The lens update will come across to the Mini 4.6K in the next release.

Brad Grobler

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Still no word on this update?
Sitting with this camera not working with my lenses for 7 months now

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 9:58 pm

It is very close.

Quite a few lens improvements on 4.4 for all URSA Mini cameras.

ThomasParb

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi all!

Ist there already a support with FW 4.4 for ...

- Tamron SP AF 24-70mm 2.8 Di VC USD G2
- Tamron SP AF 70-200mm 2.8 Di VC USD G2

I ordered my UMP today and really like these two Tamrons - perfect Quality and not too expensive...
So it would be great to use them full featured.

Thanks for Information!
www.openmindfilm.com

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Yes those and the 15-30mm from the same set should work.

Ryan Hamblin

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 3:30 am

I can confirm both of my G2 lenses work perfectly. The image stabilizer is great on both
www.brainstem.tv
www.ryanhamblin.com

ThomasParb

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks Guys for fast reply!

:D

That makes me happy - i think this lenses are one of the best you can buy for the money ;-)

greets, Tom!
www.openmindfilm.com

Ryan Hamblin

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Both the g2 zooms have impressed me for many reasons. Other than anamorphics I would be hard pressed to want to use any cine lenses over these. Just pop one of those nifty Zeiss lens gear on them and a wireless follow focus and they are ready to roll.
www.brainstem.tv
www.ryanhamblin.com

Fornez

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 6:06 pm

So can I get a confirmation on something here

It seems that the Tamron 70-200mm lens is working on the Pro but is it working with the studio 4k camera? If it works with one it should work with all right?

Denny Smith

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Not necessarily different firmware. Are you rerferring the BM Production 4K Camera or the BM Studio 4K Cameras with MFT lens mount. If the later, than the difference is also EF Mount vs MFT mount via adapters, and the adapter could be causing issues.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Fornez

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 5:18 am

Denny Smith wrote:Not necessarily different firmware. Are you rerferring the BM Production 4K Camera or the BM Studio 4K Cameras with MFT lens mount. If the later, than the difference is also EF Mount vs MFT mount via adapters, and the adapter could be causing issues.
Cheers

Yeah the BM Studio 4k Camera

Actually I think I have moved on to the Panasonic Lumix G X series. They have power zoom via lanc control which is what I need

The other option is the Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f.28 lens but I can't figure out if it has power zoom over lanc, some other lenses in its family do

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 4:26 pm

No, the 40-150 is not a power zoom, it has a manually controlled zoom. That said you could add a follow focus gear to the zoom ring and use one of Kim’s Servo Zoom controllers to get a power zoom, but it will not be via Lanc. This lens was designed for sports and wildlife photography.

The only Oly power zooms are the Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ, and the 14-42 EZ pancake Zoom. All of Oly’s power zoom lenses have the “EZ” in their name. Panny uses PZ designation for their lower zooms.

That said, all of these are still camera zooms, and will not hold focus (parfocal) very well, if at all during a zoom change. The only MFT zooms I have seen that are parfocal are the Oly Four Thirds 14-35 f/2.0 Zoom (which requires a MFT adapter), an excellent lens with real manual focus option, focus is controlled by Lanc in auto focus mode.

The other is the new Panny Lecia 12-60 Zoom, a very nice lens, setup for still and videomwork, it also is parfocal, has very quiet focus and Iris control motors, Iris is cine style smooth changes, no stepping between f/stop EV values, and auto focus is very fast, even on BM cameras, I tested it on the Micro Studio Camera.

If you need a true, remote controlled Servo Zoom with a long reach, you need to use the new Broadcast camera with a B4 Servo Zoom lens. You can adapt one to the Studio Camera, but this is going to cost almost as much as the Broadcast Camera. You will need an optically corrected B4/MFT adapter (MTF and AbelCine make one, costmis around $1500, a power adapter cable and controller for the zoom/Iris (another $1500).
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Fornez

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Okay thanks for the info it really helps

It makes me wonder though what the heck is the Studio camera supposed to be used for then?

I'm guessing it's primarily close up studio work 10-20ft away because it's so much trouble to get a setup going for farther distances

The problem with the Ursa Broadcast is that it doesn't come with the viewfinder standard and that's about 1500$ itself

There seems like there's a prime middle ground here that the studio camera could fill but just doesn't

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 1:39 am

The Studio Camera does have a fold out LCD monitor on the side. You can also use any SDI Monitor, like the SmallHD 502 or 700series, you do not need to buy the $1500 BM Studio viewfinder Monitor or EVF for recording indoor events/Services.

Yes the Stuido HD and Studio 4Kwere designed for small Studio applications, like a Cable TV studios, school TV programs, or their event coverage in the normal 10-20 foot range. The MFT mount on them may not have been the best choice, but it does allow the use of MFT zooms, and by using the MFT/PL adapter, the more expensive Cine Zooms, some of which have a zoom Servo.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography