Terranex and Hyperdeck to convert 25-24fps

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

NickPrice

Terranex and Hyperdeck to convert 25-24fps

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi all,
I need to deliver a 24fps quicktime in order to create a 24fps DCP. Is it possible to playout a 25fps timeline from Resolve, into a terranex mini, upconverting to 2k/4k and from 25-24fps, then record it realtime onto a Hyperdeck Studio? I can hire both of these pretty cheaply and using hardware is always better than using software.

I don't really want to get into all those retiming and pitch correction issues.

What do you think?

Thanks
nick

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Terranex and Hyperdeck to convert 25-24fps

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:38 am

NickPrice wrote:Hi all,
I need to deliver a 24fps quicktime in order to create a 24fps DCP. Is it possible to playout a 25fps timeline from Resolve, into a terranex mini, upconverting to 2k/4k and from 25-24fps, then record it realtime onto a Hyperdeck Studio? I can hire both of these pretty cheaply and using hardware is always better than using software.

I don't really want to get into all those retiming and pitch correction issues.

What do you think?

Thanks
nick

1. Try (if you can) to supply 25p DCP- this is the best solution out of all. Many places supports it now, although definitely not 100% of them, so you need to ask.
2. Hardware these days is actually worse than software.
3. Options are limited:
a) slowdown without pitch correction
b) slowdown with pitch correction
c) motion adaptive fps conversion (Alchemist, Tachyon)
d) avoid any simple conversion using frame blending or frame dropping- this is just poor and looks crap.

Teranex is not really good tool for fps conversion. It will do a,c or d method. I' not sure what is default method in current model. I would also not trust Teranex to do pitch correction- rather would go with method a.

NickPrice

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 2:02 pm

HI
thanks for your reply. Our sound mixer is providing the 24fps sound, slowed then pitch corrected back up, which is apparently a standard thing for this workflow. I am surprised to hear the terranex doesn't do a good job of converting 25 to 24fps. That is what it is designed to do. Will probably hire one anyway and do a comparison test. And I will double check that AMPAS will accept a 25fps DCI.

Thanks
nick

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:42 pm

Teranex never did proper (motion adaptive) fps conversion.
Alchemist did and now software version does it even better. Tachyon is another option which is new and also very good.
If you getting audio slowed down to 24p then you don't have to hire anything as in this case getting 24p video is crazy easy.
Just import your 25p master into Resolve, set 24fps in clip attributes and drag to 24p timeline. Add already adjusted audio and export new master. You are not doing any fps conversion (difficult job was done by audio house), you just slowing it down so all the frames are untouched just have new 24fps assigned. Don't waste money as Teranex won't do anything different. You are using exactly the same frames- nothing gets created or dropped in case of slow down!

Teranex best feature is/was good deinterlacing, but today same or even better can be done with software.

Return to Post Production