Official Certification

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GabrielLaureno

Official Certification

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 am

Hello! I would like to know if there is some official blackmagic design certification or davinci resolve official certification? Where can i apply for the test? Where i can prepare myself for the test? How much it costs? What else should i know about this?

Thanks in advance!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Official Certification

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 6:25 am

Please review the training page on the web site.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 8:42 am

marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Ian Templeton

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 10:56 pm

The Certified Training Program is announced near the top of that page but there is no further information further down on how to actually become certified.

I assume there'll be an update to this? Is there any information on when the official book for v.14 will be available?
Resolve 18 - MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) // 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 // 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 // Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB // Monterey 12.3.1

Sherwin Lau

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 5:18 pm

The book by Paul Saccone is available now and you can get an e-book version or a hard copy. Search online and you'll find it. Or goto the links provided by the folks in the previous posts.

Once you go through the book, it'll link you to a basic certification exam. I think there'll be a much more detailed exam for those who are wanting to be certified experts or something like that.

Robert Arnold

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Speaking of the Paul Saccone book, can anyone who has it tell me whether it would be of use a reference for someone who is already an advanced daily user (since version 8) of Resolve? I really miss having a hard-copy manual....

Sherwin Lau

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 am

I wouldn't think it would be necessary for an advanced user of Resolve. It's helpful if you're not very familiar with any of the other pages of Resolve though, like Edit or Fairlight.

It's not a deep dive into every single aspect of Resolve, but it is a great intro to all of the major aspects of Resolve. It's geared towards new-intermediate users/students and it includes helpful project media that you can download.
Sherwin Lau, C.S.I.
sherwinlau.com
iMac Pro 3GHz 10-core, 64GB Ram, Vega 64
MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB memory
MacOS 12.6

PeterMoretti

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 3:23 am

Sherwin_Lau wrote:I wouldn't think it would be necessary for an advanced user of Resolve. It's helpful if you're not very familiar with any of the other pages of Resolve though, like Edit or Fairlight.

It's not a deep dive into every single aspect of Resolve, but it is a great intro to all of the major aspects of Resolve. It's geared towards new-intermediate users/students and it includes helpful project media that you can download.

Is there an advanced guide out there? I believe there are advanced training classes but haven't seen any publicly available course material or textbook for advanced Resolve training.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 3:54 am

PeterMoretti wrote:Is there an advanced guide out there? I believe there are advanced training classes but haven't seen any publicly available course material or textbook for advanced Resolve training.

They are working on an Advanced Resolve (aka "Resolve for Colorists") certification, but it may not be super advanced per se. It's just the next step beyond the basic intro class and book they had.

Robert Arnold

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Sherwin_Lau wrote:I wouldn't think it would be necessary for an advanced user of Resolve. It's helpful if you're not very familiar with any of the other pages of Resolve though, like Edit or Fairlight.

Thanks for that insight. I could use a guide in the wilderness of Fairlight!

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 11:57 pm

Robert Arnold wrote:Thanks for that insight. I could use a guide in the wilderness of Fairlight!

And I believe they're also working on a Fairlight class and a separate Fairlight book.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 pm

I just picked up this book. Working through Lesson 3 today. Very helpful resource for someone new to Resolve, even though I've been editing for 20 years.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dave Andrade

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Yeah it appears that, at this time, they just have the intro to 14 certification. I just got my certificate last night. (pdf doc)

It's not that basic. But it's still the "intro" information. (if that makes sense) I mean I would definitely give the book a thorough read-through and read the questions carefully, but if you have any experience with the program, you "may" be able to skim through some parts. I was able to quickly read through some chapters based on my past experience and I still did very well on the exam. But it's all about comfort with what you know.

The book is great, in my opinion.

I look forward to the future tests they have.

Jean Claude

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Yes, but at least the advantage of doing this certification is that we took the time to read a manual: whatever it is. ;)

It will prevent us from seeing very weird questions ...
(see viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68871)

Edit : and Dario is right ...and others...
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Return to DaVinci Resolve