which distributions of Linux are supported?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Terence Kearns

which distributions of Linux are supported?

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 9:56 am

My intention is to run the free version of Resolve 14 for a while then upgrade to Studio.

I am used to debian based distributions like Ubuntu Studio but I haven't had any luck getting the install script to work on that one.

Reading the installation instructions, it says "now supports" Centos/RHEL 7. Does this mean it's the only distros supported or does it mean that it supports a bunch of other distros, but now Centos/RHEL 7 is just now added to the list of supported distros? Can someone please clarify.

In any case, I need to set up a work production environment for audio and video production and I want to choose the distro that works best with Resolve and Fusion.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: which distributions of Linux are supported?

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 10:42 am

Can u see the Linux thread at the top of the forum. We recommend and test with CentOS 7.3/RedHat but don't explicitly stop other distros.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 10:44 am

And as Reynaud mentioned, u can refer to here.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=62582
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 10:46 am

Was editing my post to be clearer and Peter provided that clearer answer, so I removed my post (in case there is confusion).
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Martin Schitter

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We recommend and test with CentOS 7.3/RedHat but don't explicitly stop other distros.

that's a nice statement! i really appreciate this kind of tolerance and acceptation of various equivalent distributions.
and it's also acceptable to me, that linux users should help each other realizing this kind of cross distribution compatibility.

but what i really miss, is any effort on BMDs side, to integrate the installer patches and fixes for non CentOS linux system created by the community into the offical upstream installer, to make it more user friendly in the long run. in fact, there are only some very simple and well known modifications necessary to support a much wider share of linux distributions out of the box, but the related user reports and suggested workarounds didn't find their way into BMDs deliveries till now.

Terence Kearns

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:43 pm

Okay. So I can continue with ubuntu studio and get support from other users here on how they hack it to fit? I will give this a try. I really don't want to learn another distribution like redhat.

Anyhow, it would be good if bed would just run a repository and 3 lines later, one could have it with the apt tool. Some people did this with the nvidia drivers for u ubuntu and I was able to get them installed in seconds flat. The main advantage being the ability to update without breaking things.

Thinking that I needed to run the nvidia shel installer every time the kernel got updated was a real bummer and one of the reasons I quit Linux last time. But now I've had enough of windows slow downs and malware. Boot up and login with windows 7 takes almost 10mins. I untalled ubuntu studio and it now takes 8 seconds from the bios screen. It's hilarious it's so fast. My laptop running windows 10 is also about 10 mins. So over it. I want productivity and speed.

It's a shame Linux support for resolve needs so much hacking. Making native package files would help a lot.

Terence Kearns

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:And as Reynaud mentioned, u can refer to here.

"The requested topic does not exist"

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Terence wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:And as Reynaud mentioned, u can refer to here.

"The requested topic does not exist"

Works fior me.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Terence Kearns

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:55 pm

I do realise there is a giant Linux install issues thread. But it had nearly 600 replies. Must everyone with an issue have to wade through all 600 replies in that thread to be able to figure stuff out for Linux?

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Terence wrote:I do realise there is a giant Linux install issues thread. But it had nearly 600 replies. Must everyone with an issue have to wade through all 600 replies in that thread to be able to figure stuff out for Linux?

That link does not point to the big linux thread.... did you click it?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Terence wrote:"The requested topic does not exist"
If you access the link via an iPad and Safari, for example, then the error comes up. No issue on OS X's build of Safari.

Direct link to the Config guide if all else fails:
http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/D ... _Guide.pdf

which is always available here:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... and-fusion
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Martin Schitter

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Terence wrote:Anyhow, it would be good if bed would just run a repository and 3 lines later, one could have it with the apt tool. Some people did this with the nvidia drivers for u ubuntu and I was able to get them installed in seconds flat. The main advantage being the ability to update without breaking things.

in fact we could repack resolve easily by a CI solution like GitLab and publish debian/ubunto/mint packages in a privat/community maintained repository via GitLab pages. technically it's easy, but there are two important hindrances:

* it's very questionable, if this kind of repacking/redistribution is permitted by BMDs EULA

* right now it's very hard to download the official releases by automated processes resp. CI mechanisms

Terence wrote:Thinking that I needed to run the nvidia shel installer every time the kernel got updated was a real bummer and one of the reasons I quit Linux last time.

that's a kind of issue, most new linux users have to relearn. you never should blindly install this kind of software using the manufactures scripts!

i can only speak for debian, but in this particular case it's really trivial and easy to install and automatically update the proprietary nvidia drivers in already prepared packages provided by the distribution maintainers. that's a much more comfortable and compatible strategy to keep them up to date and compatible to all applications, libraries and kernel updates on your machine than any other alternative approach.

Terence wrote:But now I've had enough of windows slow downs and malware. Boot up and login with windows 7 takes almost 10mins. I untalled ubuntu studio and it now takes 8 seconds from the bios screen. It's hilarious it's so fast. My laptop running windows 10 is also about 10 mins. So over it. I want productivity and speed.

yes -- i agree and in definitely prefer linux much more for my daily work cause of this reasons, but you also should be aware of the fact, that resolve for linux is still missing some important features and codec support, which are available on the other platforms. in contrast to this editions for mac and windows resolve for linux is also NOT reasonable usable without additional blackmagic hardware, because you will not get any system sound output till now.

that's why i'm still using resolve in virtual windows machines on a linux host up to now...

Terence Kearns

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 5:25 am

Thanks for the Feedback Martin, very valuable.

I ended up just buying a copy of Windows 10 and reformatting the computer. THE reson for this is because there is no .deb file for Resolve. Too much bother.

All of my software works and Resolve has all its functionality.

It is a pity though. Its only a matter of time before windows slows down again. I guess I will have to make formatting my computer a bit of a routine :/

Windows 10 boots up 5 seconds when UEFI finishes. In fact, Windows boots up quicker than my UEFI (which is set to "fast boot"). So I'm happy. For now.

Return to DaVinci Resolve