Lost footage, recovered, now a mess

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

James Harkness

Lost footage, recovered, now a mess

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 12:53 pm

I have a gazillion DNG's now all compiled into ONE folder, and it is supposed to be like 50 seperate folders. It is shot in RAW 3:1. My Harddrive unplugged improperly, and files went missing. So I used Easeus recovery program and got my files back. Now they are all jammed together. Im wondering if anyone has ran into this problem, or has a simple'r' solution.

Marc Wielage

Re: Lost footage, recovered, now a mess

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 5:12 am

Be glad it's only 50 folders! I've seen some trainwrecks where it was a dozen TB' worth of footage all scattered across two or three crashed drives.

A couple of ideas:

1) you could just sit there and sort them by file name and manually create new folders that would hold each specific scene.

2) hire an assistant editor (an idea I'm fond of) and let them struggle with this for a couple of days.

Assuming this is already deep into the editing process, you'll have to be very careful about making sure everything retains the correct name and structure so that it can all still work with your existing list.

My advice for whenever anything sad and tragic happens in post: use this as a learning experience so you'll have backups next time. Everybody in post goes through a disaster like this, but if you're lucky, this will be the only time. Next time, you'll have a backup and will just plug that in and move on.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

James Harkness

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Thanks Marc. The bit of encouragement helps, and yes it is a massive learning experience and eye opener as to workflow, cost of my videos, etc. Definitely grateful I only need to find about half a tb to sort through after finding the correct footage from 6tb.. im on the right track though!

James Harkness

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Marc, or anyone with info, what would happen if I'm able to restore the hard drive to an earlier date that was AFTER the footage was put on the hard drive.

Jack Fairley

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Depends on the recovery software. If you're restoring the entire volume from a proper backup, it should be organized correctly. If you're using some file recovery tool, you will have similar problems.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

James Harkness

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 11:57 am

right. well the "proper back up" would just be windows asking me if i want to restore the hard drive to an earlier date.
I have started using a file recovery tool, and for some reason it is saying that it found 6.18 TB of DNG's when its only a 4 TB hard drive?

James Harkness

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 pm

Forget easeus, I just got wondershare data recovery and it covered everything with proper names and folders. Yay!

Marc Wielage

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 3:41 am

James Harkness wrote:Forget easeus, I just got wondershare data recovery and it covered everything with proper names and folders. Yay!

Wow, that's fantastic news. Definitely learn from this experience and do real backups on local drives. These will save you.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

James Harkness

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 pm

absolutely Marc. I have been under pricing myself and couldn't even really afford back ups! Huge learning experience and price adjustments. Rookie of the year goes to!! lol

Return to Post Production