Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

create a stroke

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

create a stroke

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 12:00 pm

i want to create a stroke by drawing a simple polyline, when i look on the internet i find alot of stuff with tools like ''multistroke'' ''polylinestroke'' etc. i just cant find them in my version of fusion.. are they just gone?

Niels van der Heijden

Re: create a stroke

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm not sure what you are after but you can create poly line with the PolyMask tool and giving it a border.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Those strokes are inside of the Paint tool. Polystrokes are one of the options in there.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Niels van der Heijden

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Advantage of paint node stroke is that you can make them grow.

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 12:42 pm

found it, forgot to deactivate the ''solid'' checkbox..

I still didnt find the ''write on'' slider though

Bryan Ray

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 4:59 pm

I think what you're looking for is in the Paint tool. When you have a Paint node selected, look on the left-hand side of the Viewer. You'll see a toolbar that lets you set what mode the tool uses.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (81.83 KiB) Viewed 6379 times

From top to bottom: Select, Multistroke, Clone Multistroke, Stroke, PolylineStroke, Circle, Rectangle, Copy PolyLine, Copy Circle, Copy Rectangle, Fill, and PaintGroup.

Selecting the PolyLineStroke mode will reveal even more buttons to give you more control over the spline. The Write On control will appear in the Tools panel when PolyLineStroke is selected. Spin down the Stroke Controls section to see it.

Every time you select a new mode button, a stroke modifier will be added to the Modifiers panel for the tool. In Multistroke mode, all of the paint strokes you make are stored in the same Modifier. In Stroke mode, each stroke you make will create a new Modifier. The properties of a paint stroke can be edited after the fact using their Modifiers.

The MaskPaint tool works pretty much the same way.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 11:42 am

okay thanks, so how do i create a perfect circle? if i press the ''circle'' button, the write-on controls dissapear. i'd like to make a simple circular-line-write-on animation.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 11:45 am

If you create an empty polyline stroke and then RC in the polyline stroke menu, you'll see the option -->create--> ellipse. Select that and set your settings to your liking and you will get a perfect circle with write on/off options.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:If you create an empty polyline stroke and then RC in the polyline stroke menu, you'll see the option -->create--> ellipse. Select that and set your settings to your liking and you will get a perfect circle with write on/off options.

thanks, that did the trick.

feels way too hidden IMO.

Roman Brave

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 3:00 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:If you create an empty polyline stroke and then RC in the polyline stroke menu, you'll see the option -->create--> ellipse. Select that and set your settings to your liking and you will get a perfect circle with write on/off options.

You saved my life, man! Even after more than 5 years after your post :)
To be honest I spent some time yet to elaborate what is RC abbreviation (for others - Right Click) and WHERE exactly to click (for others - directly on the screen). Tried almost every field at Inspector. But definitely it was worth it. No youtube tutorial helped. You did.

So THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :)

Return to Fusion