H.264 Pro Recorder

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Roberto Seereeram

H.264 Pro Recorder

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi Good day

I am interested in purchasing the H.264 Pro Recorder. However I have a few questions

1. How do I connect this device to a MAC Pro
2. The item displayed on verified resellers such as B and H and Adorama have different images as seen on Blackmagic Design website. Are there two versions to this device?

Thank you in advance for quick and helpful responses :)

Xtreemtec

Re: H.264 Pro Recorder

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 4:43 pm

There is a H.264 recorder and there is a Webpresenter which is also H264..
Attachments
h264.png
h264.png (75.49 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Roberto Seereeram

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Thank you very much :) Have a blessed day :)

Colin Barrett

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 2:23 pm

The H.264 Pro Recorder connects to all computers (MacOS, Windows) by USB3.0. It offers different functionality to the Web Presenter.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Ian Morrish

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Pro Recorder only requires USB 2.
It is a relatively old device but still very useful (worth picking up second hand).

It requires special software to do the recording (can't use it with web streaming software like OBS). BMD Media Express, MXPTiny or MXLight software (last one is best for web streaming, last 2 are only for Windows).
Because the input is converted to H.264 in dedicated hardware there is very low overhead in capturing to disk on your computer.
There is a 2 second delay between input and monitoring software on Computer.

MXPTiny or MXLight allow simultaneous record and playback from the captured file (you can do slomo replay or delayed playback). Both these applications also allow you to set the bit rate used for recording.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Colin Barrett

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 9:01 pm

As a means of accepting a variety of inputs - analogue and digital - and performing a real-time conversion to MPEG-4/H.264 files at a data rate of up to 20 Mbps, I find the Pro Recorder to be the best device available at its price. I've used it for many hundreds of hours of conversion for client jobs.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Return to Getting Started