MP4 Video changes FPS once imported

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Josh Long

MP4 Video changes FPS once imported

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 1:04 am

Hi, I'm fairly new to video editing and I've run into an issue when importing some MP4 videos that I recorded using my phone (Samsung Galaxy S8). I went on a hike and brought my Canon Rebel T5 to record a vlog of sorts. I was able to record a fair bit until the battery died. I had to switch to recording the rest using my phone, which seemed to work just fine. Once I got home to edit it all, I noticed that I was able to use the video clips from my Canon just fine on Divinci Resolve 12.5 (the free version). But when I imported the clips that I had recorded on my phone, they were choppy and the audio would go out of sync. When I watched those same video clips in Windows Media Player, they look really nice and the audio is totally fine. I looked at the files and the ones from my Canon are .MOV and the ones from my phone are .MP4. In the video properties on the MP4 videos, it says they are 30 frames per second, but once I import them into Resolve, Resolve says that they are 16 frames per second.

I've scoured the internet looking for solutions and I just want to know what is happening in that import that turns the .MP4 videos from 30 fps into 16 fps and if there is a way to stop it from happening. Thanks to anybody who knows what is going on here.

Tero Ahlfors

Re: MP4 Video changes FPS once imported

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Phone videos are usually recorded in variable frame rate which throws professional software that is expecting a constant framerate off.

Josh Long

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 11:23 pm

Tero Ahlfors wrote:Phone videos are usually recorded in variable frame rate which throws professional software that is expecting a constant framerate off.

So does that mean the videos from my phone are basically just scrap?

Jack Fairley

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 pm

In short, variable framerate media (usually comes from screen captures or cell phone videos) does not work in Resolve, since the software works on a frame by frame basis. You should be able to transcode them with different software into constant framerate video, and then use the new files in Resolve. The quality may suffer, of course.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Post Production