HyperDeck Studio Mini - remote clip load by name/number

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

PaulFoster

HyperDeck Studio Mini - remote clip load by name/number

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 3:38 am

Hi

We have a GV Karrera switcher and I would like to use the Hyperdeck Studio Mini for Key+Fill desk controlled replay transitions.

In order for this to be successful, we would need to cue specific clips by clip name - (or perhaps a unique clip number??) via Device Control from the switcher, cue up to specific timecode, then play, etc. We have a dozen or so different transition clips that need to be called up at a moments notice via a macro.

Does the Mini support AMP or VDCP control that includes the ability to cue with a clip name? I am assuming would need to be via RS-422 - not Ethernet, the use of which seems to be somewhat proprietary rather than regular AMP.

I cannot, for example, satisfactorily cue a clip for this purpose by "Next>Next>Next" as we do manually via the front panel of the full size Hyperdeck Studios that we currently have in the building for other general playout purposes.

Not critical; but would I be able to browse the drive contents/clip list (as I do for example with GV K2 Summit servers via DDR AMP Ethernet)?

Excuse my technical ignorance - I am a switcher, not an engineer!
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Paul

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: HyperDeck Studio Mini - remote clip load by name/number

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 pm

Hello Paul. If your device control supports Sony VTR 9 Pin protocol over RS-422, then you may cue or control the Hyperdecks in this way. Otherwise, you would need to use Ethernet control using TCP. There are some 3rd party products that control hyperdecks over Ethernet which may be of interest.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

James Muscat

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 4:44 pm

I don't know what AMP or VDCP are, but the functions you require would seem to be available via the HyperDeck's TCP interface (ish).

You can obtain a list of all clips:
Code: Select all
clips get

which gives you a list of:
clipID: name starttime duration

You can then cue a specific clip ID:
goto: clip id: <clipID>

This is all detailed from p44 of the manual, available from the BMD support site (I'm apparently not allowed to post URLs).

Hope that helps!

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 4:56 am

The Sony RS-422 (9-pin) protocol was originally designed for tape-based recorders. As a result, I don't think there is a way to cue individual clips (by filename or other ID), since there wasn't really a concept of named clips in a tape-based system. Instead cueing is usually based on timecode.

The Odetics protocol is an RS-422 protocol that extends the basic Sony RS-422 to add various clip management commands useful in file based recorders (such as load clip, next clip, etc.). Then the AMP protocol further extended the Odetics protocol to add additional clip management features (folder management, longer clip names, etc.). The AMP protocol can be used over Ethernet or serial (RS-422).

I believe the HyperDeck units just support the basic Sony 9-pin protocol, which does not include any of the clip based extensions. So to use this protocol for cueing distinct clips, I believe each clip would have to use distinct timecode (in which case you could cue to the timecode at the start of the clip to load/play that clip).

If you want to cue clips based on filename, you'll have to use the HyperDeck protocol over Ethernet (the details of this protocol are documented in the HyperDeck manual).

In principle, it might be possible to have some program that listened for AMP commands and translated these on the fly to the HyperDeck protocol (or at least translated some subset of the AMP commands which have a reasonable equivalent in the HyperDeck protocol). But this would probably have to be something that's custom-written, as I'm not aware of any program like this that currently exists.

Ian Morrish

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 am

Dave is probably right. Defining an External VTR serial device in the GV setup would allow you to use cue points based on the time code of each clip as the Hyperdeck just has a sequential time code appending each clip that is available (but filtered to the clips stored that match the output resolution currently set for the HyperDeck).
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

PaulFoster

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Thank you for all your replies. Appreciate the comprehensive answer Dave. Some more study required.

Am I correct in that the Hyperdeck's Ethernet connection is purely proprietary BMD protocol?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ian Morrish

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 am

Yes, TCP interface is BMD specific, but simple, string based commands. RS422 is Sony deck control compatible (for the most part). I drive a HyperDeck with an old NDNF ST300 via the serial cable no problem so that should also work from the GV deck control serial interface.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Return to Live Production