Protools Audio Handles

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matthias Hofmeister

Protools Audio Handles

PostSat Oct 01, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi,

I'm using DaVinci 12.5 for the first time as NLE for a current project and I really love it so far. Today I had to export my timeline to a sound studio, what I usually do with an embedded AAF File (in every other NLE). But this seems not to be an option in Resolve, so I figured out to render an AAF File with related media files using the PROTOOLS Preset. That works fine so far.

But now my question, I can't find any way to add some handles to the exported audio files, is there any solution? I was already studying the manual and asking the web, but without any success.

I think this is a must have for the sound guys in post, an AAF without handles seems pretty useless to me ...

Rakesh Malik

Re: Protools Audio Handles

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm in a similar situation; not being able to export an OMF with handles may make it not feasible to use Resolve as an NLE on projects where I'm working with sound designers using ProTools, since the AAF file I sent to my sound designer didn't import into ProTools.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

RandyLarcombe

PostThu Dec 15, 2016 2:02 am

I am having the same problem, has anyone found a solution to this? There seems to be nowhere in the export window to choose how long you want the length of the handles. While export to Protools is a nice idea it doesn't seem to be a complete function to me unless I'm missing something.

Peter Eaton

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 2:25 am

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I just locked picture on a feature and sent audio files to sound. I used the Avid AAF function, and it exported MXF files. Upon importing, the MXF files are stuttering, they are clicking and popping. Really frustrating.

Does anyone at Blackmagic Design have any idea how to fix this problem? How am I supposed to send my project to pro tools for sound mixing and mastering? What preset proves functional? I would really appreciate some insight from the BMD engineers. Have posted several posts about this today w/out any response yet...

Please. Help.

Matthias Hofmeister

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 8:03 am

This is still the one and only reason we can't switch to Resolve as our main NLE. We love to work with Fusion and Resolve for Grading, but as a NLE it's just not usable because every of our projects is finished by an external audio house and they always insist on an AAF file with handles refering to the original sound files.

So this is a big feature request for a future release, it would be great if we could just stay in Resolve and Fusion environment only.

Best regards!

Hugh Scully

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 pm

I'm going to toss my cookies. I have a short that I happily edited in Davinci Resolve. I'm zooming along on the latest version right now.

I exported an AAF for import to protools. I didn't see the setting for handles... otherwise, it worked great - imported fine. I'm chugging away on protools 12 - just needed to Ctrl F me some fades and guess what? There are no handles! At all. So I come here to see what dumb thing I missed and it looks like, from these posts, it doesn't export handles AT ALL! Are you kidding?

Somebody please tell me that there's a way to do this. I can't get the dialog mix done without audio handles.

I used the ProTools preset. Will the Avid AAF preset work? I will try it. ARRGGGHHHH!

This is a show stopper. You can't edit and NOT export audio with handles. I'm doing this one to see if I can actually edit with DaVinci Resolve. The answer is NO! What is the thinking here? If I were sending if off, I'd be shot right now.

PieroLass

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 1:26 am

AAF export for protools is the biggest problem with DaVinci as a editing program! I hope each day that appears this fundamental feature.
Anyway I tried to find a solution. You can export an xml, go to premiere and export an omf.
Or you can export an fcpxml and go in X2pro (if you work on mac) and export an aaf with handles and original file!!!!
But anyway you have always to hope you will not find problem at the end of your work(when you are usually late!!!)
So please, please, please dear blackmagicdesign add the possibility to export aaf with handles and original file.
I want to switch to davinci (and windows) but without this i can't!!!
It's urgent!!!!!

Hugh Scully

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 8:25 pm

I did some more work and want to report back.

The Protools preset, by my attempts, does not produce handles. When I select advanced, and add frames it does not add them. It does load up perfectly in Protools 12.7, just without handles. Oddly, when it starts to render the functions grey out but also the text box for adding frames disappears. The render is not going back the number of frames at all as it does with the AAF Avid preset

I got some help over at Reduser.net, specifically that the AVID AAF preset will produce handles. I tried to load it into Protools and in all cases, so far, I had either "link to file" problems or some parsing errors:
(e.g. Missing renderings
V1<01:00:00:00>no rendering for transition effect: ;substituting a cut.
V1<01:00:00:00>no rendering for transition effect: ;substituting a cut.)

However, even though the import to Protools v 12.7, has errors, when using AVID AAF, the tracks do DID HAVE HANDLES.

I think the problem with the Protools preset is a bug. I'm not sure what's up with the AVID AAF preset or what to do about these errors. I'm still working on it.

Anybody else on this?

Hugh Scully

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Ok, so I'm back. I see that... oh boy... <crickets>

Anyway. I have a viable workaround for exporting and AAF into protools for dialog edit with handles. Credit to the guys over at reduser. Simple and easy. Select Avid AAF preset, go to the Advanced Tab, set desired frame handles, and on the Video Tab uncheck Export Video. Export that, double click on the aaf, protools comes up and Voila! Imported with handles. Come back to the timeline and export the video, no audio. I selected the Youtube preset and chose MXF OP-Atom DNxHD 720p. Export that, import it into your timeline on Protools and Bob's your Uncle.

So happy I could spit! ... whew, awful quiet around here.

Mohammad Alkazemi

PostMon May 08, 2017 2:01 am

Hugh Scully wrote:Ok, so I'm back. I see that... oh boy... <crickets>

Anyway. I have a viable workaround for exporting and AAF into protools for dialog edit with handles. Credit to the guys over at reduser. Simple and easy. Select Avid AAF preset, go to the Advanced Tab, set desired frame handles, and on the Video Tab uncheck Export Video. Export that, double click on the aaf, protools comes up and Voila! Imported with handles. Come back to the timeline and export the video, no audio. I selected the Youtube preset and chose MXF OP-Atom DNxHD 720p. Export that, import it into your timeline on Protools and Bob's your Uncle.

Thank you!

You truly saved my ass!

Thomas Blanchard

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi,

i am also fighting with the aaf-export to protools for handover to sound-mixing. in Studio 14. seems a bit buggy: switching between AVID AAF and Protools AAF Export causes video settings not to be updated or to stay fixed to the AVID presets.

I am trying the above described workaround for AAF export to protools with some frames handle length. I hope it will work!

That's not what you need in the final stage of your work, with the deadline heavily lurking around the corner.

Please fix this!

Thomas
Resolve Studio Monterey 18.0.1 build 3 Mac OS Montery 12.5.1 MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 32GB RAM

Thomas Blanchard

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:07 pm

the workaround works to get handle lengths in aexport to Protools, BUT: audio fades, levels or keyframes are lost... ;-(
Resolve Studio Monterey 18.0.1 build 3 Mac OS Montery 12.5.1 MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 32GB RAM

Mohammad Alkazemi

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Hello Thomas,

Please bear in mind that any speed changes you make on audio clips in Resolve will not take effect in Pro Tools. It will also mess up with all of the timecodes/ positions of audio clips that come after the audio clip with speed change effects.

Make sure that you render out any audio clips with speed changes in Resolve timeline before you take it to Pro Tools. Otherwise, you will have a nightmare similar to what I had.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:51 am

Thomas Blanchard wrote:the workaround works to get handle lengths in aexport to Protools, BUT: audio fades, levels or keyframes are lost... ;-(

I think that is also true for FCP 7 and Premiere. My workaround would be for the Pro Tools engineer/mixers to use a program like Conformalizer or Ediload to rebuild the session inside Pro Tools from EDLs generated by Resolve:

http://www.thecargocult.nz/conformalizer.shtml

http://www.soundsinsync.com/products/ediload
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

PieroLass

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 4:15 am

The problem with protools export is a real nightmare for editors!!!!!
I find the best way to save my ass is to export to premiere with handles, davinci creates new quicktime files with handles and a xml, then after figure out all the reconnection problem in premiere export omf or aaf for protools. But anyway you have to face a lot of problem. And you can't have the entire audio file with the real name!
I beg on my knees black magic design to add the possibility to export to protools with handles otherwise it's impossible to work without worries to have a lot of problems at the end of your editing job.
Please, please, please...

P.s Protools export on davinci create mxf files without handles and most of the old protools aren't able to work with.

Juan Casaus

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 4:52 am

Hi all... Check this out of you want tobuse davinci as an NLE

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65414

RandyLarcombe

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 4:23 am

You realize that you are a genius! Thanks!

Anish Prithviraj

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 10:29 am

The ability to render handles on the ProTools exported was added in 14.2 late last year. All releases after that support the ability to render with handles on the ProTools export.
DaVinci Resolve Program Manager

Saul Marron

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 5:47 pm

I had hoped this was the solution I was looking for, however it seems to have rendered my Avid file into hundreds of different mxf. files instead of one aaf.
Any help hugely appreciated as I'm going crazy trying to work out how to send my work to my sound editor.

Kenzo

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 6:03 pm

Export with Protools template. Surprisingly handling is set in the video tab (advanced setting). Working very well for me.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Saul Marron

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:03 pm

Kenzo wrote:Export with Protools template. Surprisingly handling is set in the video tab (advanced setting). Working very well for me.

Thanks for the response. I tried this but just like the avid option it rendered out 1 video mxf file and 100's of audio mxf files, rather than a singel omf/aaf the editor could use in Avid. Am I doing something wrong?

Kenzo

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:14 pm

No, Resolve, cant export aaf in one file, but it's no problem because even from avid I export only small sequences with embedded aaf.
Embedded aaf has simply packed all the audio files into one file. After importing to Avid we get all the files.
With Resolve export, simply import to Avid aaf file and AMA connect all mxf files.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Saul Marron

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:24 pm

Kenzo wrote:No, Resolve, cant export aaf in one file, but it's no problem because even from avid I export only small sequences with embedded aaf.
Embedded aaf has simply packed all the audio files into one file. After importing to Avid we get all the files.
With Resolve export, simply import to Avid aaf file and AMA connect all mxf files.

Oh I see. Audio is not my strongest point (in fact as you can probably tell I know almost nothing lol), so can I just double check how to do this properly.
1: I export an aaf. file of my project (the one I did of my 6min edit was 2.9mb, does that sound correct?)
2: Render project as Pro tools.
3: The sound editor simply loads all the files into Avid and the aaf file will put the video and clips into the right order (including handles?)

Really appreciate the help, thank you

Kenzo

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Saul Marron wrote:Oh I see. Audio is not my strongest point (in fact as you can probably tell,I know almost nothing lol), so can I just double check how to do this properly.
1: I export an aaf. file of my project (the onle I did of my 6min edit was 2.9mb, does that sound correct?)
3: The sound editor simply loads all the files into Avid and it the aaf file will put the video and clips into the right order (including handles?)

No, You don't need export aaf first.

Go to Deliver tab, choose Protools preset. In Video tab set video codec (i usually set MXF / DNxHR LB), in Advanced Settings set frame handles (usually 50 frames is ok).
Render it, and you get: one video mxf file, one aaf file, and a lot audio mxf files.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Saul Marron

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 10:01 pm

Kenzo wrote:
Saul Marron wrote:Oh I see. Audio is not my strongest point (in fact as you can probably tell,I know almost nothing lol), so can I just double check how to do this properly.
1: I export an aaf. file of my project (the onle I did of my 6min edit was 2.9mb, does that sound correct?)
3: The sound editor simply loads all the files into Avid and it the aaf file will put the video and clips into the right order (including handles?)

No, You don't need export aaf first.

Go to Deliver tab, choose Protools preset. In Video tab set video codec (i usually set MXF / DNxHR LB), in Advanced Settings set frame handles (usually 50 frames is ok).
Render it, and you get: one video mxf file, one aaf file, and a lot audio mxf files.

Amazing, thank you!

marymu

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm

So I understand - using the protools setting in da vinci - and on export video you can increase the frame handles - to 50 for example - even if you unclick export video so you're only exporting audion - will the audio clips then have 50 frame handles when opened in protools or is that just for video? (It's 2021 by the way - hope they've fixed it by now :D )

Return to DaVinci Resolve