Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Massive OpenCL issues: Fusion 9.0.1 and Nvidia 387.92

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Axel Mertes

Massive OpenCL issues: Fusion 9.0.1 and Nvidia 387.92

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi BMD Fusion developers,

we experience massive OpenCL related problems with Fusion 9 and Nvidia drivers.
We updated to both Fusion 9.0.1 and very latest Nvidia 387.92 drivers.

However, on several systems we see immediate crashes when trying to adjust the global OpenCL preferences. Or selecting CPU instead of GPU makes Fusion leave without any comments.

Inserting a color corrector and dropping it into a view windows, then adjusting any value will crash Fusion immediately.

All systems are HP z800 with Windows 10 1703 Creators Update Build.
Some have older GeForce 580 cards, some newer GeForce Titan X cards inside.

Any hints what to do?

The big problem is that we can't even adjust the Preferences to avoid the whole crappy OpenCL stuff. I just want my stable Fusion CPU back, thats all we want for now, so we can work.

We are in the middle of some deadlines and this is causing major issues over here.

Cheers
Axel
Magna Mana
Axel Mertes
Film, Video and IT professional
Freelancer/Consultant

michael vorberg

Re: Massive OpenCL issues: Fusion 9.0.1 and Nvidia 387.92

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 6:14 am

There is a bug that crashes fusion if it can't find a proper OpenCL device in preferences.
Look in some other threads here, someone posted a console script which should set the preferences to disable OpenCL. After that you should be able to change it again manually

Or edit the preferences file in a text editor and disable all OpenCL there. Then you can restart fusion and select a device in the preferences

Maybe you need to install the Intel OpenCL drivers that fusion can find at least one device

Axel Mertes

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 9:58 am

Hi Michael,

thanks for the tip, installing the Intel OpenCL drivers found here:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... cl-drivers

made Fusion stop crashing, and using the LUA script found here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=64987

fixed the problem in the comps, so these use CPU instead of OpenCL/GPU now.

Very bad that this is not yet fixed in the official version, as this is so prominent here. All but the very newest systems were "broken" until this fix. No way back to Fusion 6.x due to Windows 10, but no way ahead for using Fusion 9.x due to OpenCL is not a good solution. That should be addressed by BMD immediately.

Thanks again, I hope others will find this useful too.

Cheers,
Axel
Axel Mertes
Film, Video and IT professional
Freelancer/Consultant

Mark Spink

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 12:41 am

Hello All, I've come into this problem later than most, but have found the following fix without having to do anything drastic on the following two machines-

Z800
88 Gigs RAM
Windows 10 pro v 1703 build 15063.632
GPU: Nvidia GTX970 (x2) driver v 382.33

Macbook Pro (2013 retina 15")
16 Gigs RAM
Windows 10 home v 1703 build 15063.674
Nvidia GT750M driver v 382.05

I updated to Nvidia v 387.92 drivers on my Z800 and everything started working OK!
I even deleted the new 'Fusion' folder in c:/users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Blackmagic Design/ and renamed the _old one back to Fusion and it worked with Fusion's old prefs fine too.

It appears to be the same story; Nvidia v 387.92 drivers fixed the issue on the laptop as well.

Cheers
Mark

VanessaWalker

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 7:11 pm

I had NVIDIA 382 installed, checked for updates, computer said it's up to date, still downloaded and installed 387, and ran davinci 14, with the same result as before: the program starts but doesn't let me open a single menu. Same story with Fusion 9.

Other 3d software like games and autodesk stuff runs fine.

Mark Spink wrote:....

I updated to Nvidia v 387.92 drivers on my Z800 and everything started working OK!
I even deleted the new 'Fusion' folder in c:/users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Blackmagic Design/ and renamed the _old one back to Fusion and it worked with Fusion's old prefs fine too.

It appears to be the same story; Nvidia v 387.92 drivers fixed the issue on the laptop as well.

Return to Fusion