Want to switch from Premiere but Audio sync issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GeorgeDrake

Want to switch from Premiere but Audio sync issues

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 1:24 pm

I was loving every bit of resolve until I got to one major part of my workflow... syncing audio.

Option 1:

When I try to sync using auto sync based on waveform I don't get any errors but the sync is not even close to accurate. The source audio is some how sped up and still no close to the original. All footage shot with Ursa Mini 4.6ks @ 23.976 and audio recorded on a Zoom H6

Option 2:

When I import an XML from Plural Eyes it seemed to work well until I played back the clips. Nowhere near as bad as option 1 above but the sync is still off. I have used this exact same XML in Premiere with no issues.

Quick Question:

Let's say option 1 and 2 eventually work. Here is a random sync question. Lets say I am editing a music video. I have my timeline complete and then we decide to shoot another scene or two. In Premiere I can add the new clips to the timeline and highlight it and the audio track and sync right on the timeline. How would I go about doing this in Resolve?
Windows 11 | Resolve 18.0.3 | RTX 4090 24GB | 128 gigs DDR5-5200 | i9-12900K
Mac OS Monterey | M1 MAX | 64GB Ram |

Jim Simon

Re: Want to switch from Premiere but Audio sync issues

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:35 pm

I've not yet found any method to sync clips in the timeline automatically. Such capability sure would be nice, though. (IF it worked. Like yourself, I too found the auto-sync wildly inaccurate.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

George Drake

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 10:49 am

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. No way audio sync can be this bad.

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Hmm thats is strange that option 2 did not work for you.
I always and only use option 2 and never had issues.
What is important that both cam audio and H6 audio are recorded at the exact same frequency (48khz) and yout Resolve timeline is set to the exact framerate of your sourceclips.

When i do that and import the xml in either resolve or premiere its all perfectly in sync (if it sync up correctly in pluraleyes) connected to the original media.

Option 1 never worked for me.

p.s. Regarding you last question, as i always rely on pluraleyes i just follow the same workflow for extra material. Just create a new mini xml from pluraleyes for just that new stuff , import as new timeline in Resolve and copy past to my main timeline what i need.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

GeorgeDrake

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 am

Thanks Glenn.

I will look into my audio settings from the H6 and my project settings. I guess I am used to Premiere taking in pretty much anything and working. Resolve appears to be a little pickier.
Windows 11 | Resolve 18.0.3 | RTX 4090 24GB | 128 gigs DDR5-5200 | i9-12900K
Mac OS Monterey | M1 MAX | 64GB Ram |

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 5:24 am

Hope you figure it out. Yeah Resolve is definately much more picky and you always need to be very aware of your source data formats . Thats why it has such an extended media page so you can inspect all the details of your source media before using it.
Generaly just dropping stuff blind on the timeline works but is not the recommended approach if you want total control.
Both program come from different directions hence different approaches. Preniere is coming direct from the editing side. Resolve comes from the Finishing side of the equation, witch is more precice and strict. Does not mean less flexible, but maybe less forgiving. Lets say it wants you to define how it should operate rather they take care of stuff automaticaly for you if you get what i mean.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Greg Knudson

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Did anyone figure out why the sync can be off so wildly? I encountered this today on a clip that was only 1 minute long. The external audio recorder, however, was running a couple minutes longer where there was completely different audio. Somehow when I synced it managed to line up only the parts that were way off.

So, I trimmed the wav from the recorder down and saved so it was limited to only the audio in the clip, and tried again. This time it synced 80% of the clip, but there are parts in the beginning where it went silent, or somehow grabbed little pieces of audio that are way off the mark for that point in the video. Very strange

I noted later that the frequency from the camera (5d Mark III) was 48khz, and the recorder was at 44khz. Could that have been what caused the inconsistencies?

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 9:13 pm

That would probably interfere with the syncing, since Resolve is using waveforms if you don't have timecodes or a clapper. The sync tool in Resolve is very nice, but I haven't had much success with waveform sync.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Uli Plank

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 3:42 am

I didn't find waveform syncing much better in Avid or Premiere.
IMHO, the only really good tool for this is PluralEyes, which saved my butt several times when nobody cared for a clapper and the semi-pro cameras had no reliable TC.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

PeterMoretti

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 4:23 am

Waveform syncing almost always works for me, but I do have to create a bin that contains the audio and video file that should be synced together. Resolve really can't be given ten audio files and ten video files and be asked to figure out which goes to which.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Return to DaVinci Resolve