Media Types and Severe Lag?? (Editing Videos)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dakota Remaley

Media Types and Severe Lag?? (Editing Videos)

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Disclaimer: I've never really understood a lot of the technical stuff with computers, files, or the various software I use, so I probably won't do a very good job of explaining things.

When I first started doing Youtube (Gameplays) I didn't have any idea about recording and editing and all that entails. I went through several different software for different things; like OBS for recording, the biggest nightmare of them all. When I got to Resolve for editing the videos, I really liked it. But since I was still trying to find better recording software, Resolve didn't stick.

Eventually I found that my computer came with Shadowplay pre-installed, and Shadowplay was excellent for recording. It kept the quality high and didn't create massive file sizes that my computer and Alaskan internet couldn't handle. 10Mbps download and 782k upload. (I know, it's absolutely terrible. And for some reason, the very best I can get, while also being very expensive)
For some reason though, Resolve wouldn't accept whatever the file types Shadowplay gave me. It always said "Media Offline."

I tried a month of Adobe Premiere, and that worked really really well with Shadowplay. I was able to record small files, edit them quickly, render them almost quickly when they were done, then upload them to Youtube (not quickly at all) But that was just a month trial. That program is WAY too expensive to maintain.
So I quit for awhile because I'd tried all the free things I could and everything else was extremely expensive. Finally I came back to it because I found that Bandicam, a really good recording software is only $40 for a lifetime. I got that, tried it out and everything seemed to work fine with recordings. And while Resolve would take the file types, it gave me severe problems that I didn't have in the past.

Major lag in playback or inability to play at all. The lag makes editing impossible. I can't even tell if the audio is synced.
I wanted to attach examples to show these problems, but the forum doesn't take MP4 or AVI.

Which brings me to my next point. I don't understand file types or codecs or whatever else.
Bandicam can record in either AVI or MP4.
Under MP4 codecs I get:
H264 (NVIDIA NVENC)
HEVC (NVIDIA NVENC)
H264 (CPU)
MPEG-4

Under AVI codecs I have:
H264 (NVIDIA NVENC)
H264 (CPU)
Xvid
MPEG-1
Motion JPEG
YV12
RGB24
- External Codec -

I don't know what any of this is. I don't know the difference.
What I need is a small file size for my computer to handle without sacrificing too much quality. Not to mention, Resolve has to be able to take it and edit it without problems.

If anybody can offer my advice one what I should be using and how to prevent my Resolve problems, that would be a huge help. The way it is now, I can't edit and don't want to record anymore incase I can't use any of those recordings.

Computer Specs:
Windows 10
GTX 1080
Intel i7-6700
16GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve