Blackmagic Video Assist 5 inch

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

thomashijmans

Blackmagic Video Assist 5 inch

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 12:52 am

Hi,

When to expect the next update for the original Blackmagic Video assist 5 inch model with the desqueeze functionality. So I can desqueeze the 1.33x anamorphic footage in my monitor.

Greets,

Thomas

Xtreemtec

Re: Blackmagic Video Assist 5 inch

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 9:53 am

I hope we will see an update.. But looking at when the 5"came to market.. And the last few updates only updated the 4K version.. I guess the 5" development stopped.. :(

I guess we will see a new VA within 1 year from now with 12G-sdi 4K 60P.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Matt Certa

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:42 pm

You'd have thought we would have heard something after that huge summer sale of the VA's. None of the vendors could keep them in stock for more than a few hours. I thought they were trying to get rid of inventory for something new.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm

They did something similair with the Pocket Camera 50% discounted as long as stock lasted..
But the camera was still available for 1 year..

But yes i think you will see some new VA coming in the upcoming months.. Normally you would expect it to release at NAB.. But BMD stopped releasing at trade shows.. So it could be days.. It could be months... It will be there when it is ready i guess.. :lol:
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Arturo Alvarez Cobo

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Hola, tengo un video assist 5" que me da error de formateo de tarjeta, desde que actualice a Firmware 2.4. Gracias por vuestra ayuda

Xtreemtec

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Arturo Alvarez Cobo wrote:Hola, tengo un video assist 5" que me da error de formateo de tarjeta, desde que actualice a Firmware 2.4. Gracias por vuestra ayuda

This is an English forum only!! Please rewrite your post!

Arturo Alvarez Cobo

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Hello, I have a support video 5 "Which gives me a card formatting error, since it is updated to Firmware 2.4. Thanks for your help
Thank you

Xtreemtec

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 1:57 pm

So format your card again in a pc / mac.. ;)

Vasilis Tsagkarakis

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Hello to everyone. I just bought Video Assist 5 and my question is how do i change the frame rate? I'm searching all the videos and forums and i don't find anything? Is it something standard that records? for example 1080p 60fps :?: :?: :?:
The software is 2.5 that i use. I download also the software for Mac and the only thing i can do is to change the name of the device and load some LUT's.
Any advice???

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 5:25 pm

You can not change the resolution or frame rates from the Video Assist. In does not up/down or cross convert, except to take a UHD signal and down convert it to HD to display and record, since the VA is HD only. Frame rates are set by the camera connected to the VA, and the VA sets it recorder to match the incoming signal (except UHD is down converted to HD at the same frame rate as the original.

Your camera must be able to output a 1080p60 frame rate signal before the VA can record it. Once recorded, the VA sets its frame roster at the last recorded signal, and will only display files recorded at that frame rate. For example if your record a fi,e at 30fps, then one at 59.94 FPS, then you will only see the last file, I told you either disconnect the VA from the signal source and reboot it, then you will see both files.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jennifer McKay

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Can anyone explain how you use the HDMI OUT? I can't see a logical use for it. I don't do big productions so I'm not sure what its use is. I do know it is not a good pass through to a video capture device.

Anyone?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Jennifer McKay wrote:Can anyone explain how you use the HDMI OUT? I can't see a logical use for it. I don't do big productions so I'm not sure what its use is. I do know it is not a good pass through to a video capture device.

Anyone?

One example might be you wanting to see the content recorded on the media on a bigger screen. You could use that as a playback device to a TV/monitor.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 6:26 am

Another would be to send a video feed to a director’s monitor.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 10:31 am

Or as a playback device starting videos and run the HDMI into the mixer instead of SDI.
Or when you have this monitor on your camera rig and also need to send that image to a wireless video sender.. ;)

Vasilis Tsagkarakis

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 10:35 am

Denny Smith wrote:You can not change the resolution or frame rates from the Video Assist. In does not up/down or cross convert, except to take a UHD signal and down convert it to HD to display and record, since the VA is HD only. Frame rates are set by the camera connected to the VA, and the VA sets it recorder to match the incoming signal (except UHD is down converted to HD at the same frame rate as the original.

Your camera must be able to output a 1080p60 frame rate signal before the VA can record it. Once recorded, the VA sets its frame roster at the last recorded signal, and will only display files recorded at that frame rate. For example if your record a fi,e at 30fps, then one at 59.94 FPS, then you will only see the last file, I told you either disconnect the VA from the signal source and reboot it, then you will see both files.

Cheers

Thank you for your advice, after the post i searched it a lot and i found the answer, but i didn't manage to erase the post.
I would love to raise from 60fps to 100fps as my camera records (Sony a6500) for smoother slow motion.

Thank you for your time to answer

Cheers

IsseSwe

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:I hope we will see an update.. But looking at when the 5"came to market.. And the last few updates only updated the 4K version.. I guess the 5" development stopped.. :(

I guess we will see a new VA within 1 year from now with 12G-sdi 4K 60P.. ;)

took 2 years, but good guess man :-P
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

Return to Getting Started