URSA Mini 4.6 w/ Letus Helix?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jeffrey Chance

URSA Mini 4.6 w/ Letus Helix?

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Hey everyone!

I recently invested in a Letus Helix Standard for my ursa mini (I also purchased the XLR 2 pin). Deal came with a lot of goodies, extra batteries, etc.

but didn't come with any explaination on HOW to set it up. This is my first actual three axis gimbal setup as previously I only worked with a Glidecam rig. There's also only ONE tutorial online and the speaker, although helpful, skips steps and doesn't go into detail.

Anyone with a Helix mind helping me out?

Dennis Sørensen

Re: URSA Mini 4.6 w/ Letus Helix?

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 7:45 pm

If it was me, i would reach out to Letus directly for help. I think that is the fastest way.

Tristan Pemberton

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 pm

There's some good YouTube tutorials and more than one Letus tute.

I even found a YouTube clip of a guy balancing his UM on the Helix. Keep looking, you'll find more info.

But just a couple of tips...
1. Get the long plate (if you haven't already)
2. Get it balanced on all three axis FIRST (for tilt you raise/lower the handles)
3. If you can use an external monitor do it - that way you'll have optical centre.
4. Use the Helix batteries to power the camera - get at least one extra
5. Spend time checking calibration using SimpleBG_GUI. It's worth it to get the gyro & accel sensors right.
6. Stick with it when things feel tricky - once you get it set up, it's magic!

I use the RedRock thumbwheel controller for remote focus. It's only single channel, but works great and is powered by the Helix. Definitely worth the investment. Also, consider removing one of the handles and replacing with the UM grip. With one LANC cable you've got more control at your fingertips. I haven't done this yet, but seen examples with C300 using the Sony grip.

Final tip, not sure if you have gears (or using remote focus), but if not consider getting the cool-lux gears. It's worth having gears installed to the lenses you'll be using for gimbal. The strap/screw on type gears are ok, but will frustrate you after a while.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 10:39 am

Here's a few shots of my Helix with the URSA Mini 4.6k PL installed.

In this configuration I'm using a GL Optics 11-16mm T3 lens, and the RedRockMicro remote focus gear with a thumbwheel controller. It's a powerful little motor and works great. Soon I'll have a Nikon 17-55mm T3 (it's being rehoused) as my second lens option. That should cover 95% of the situations I'll use the gimbal for. I've recently added a simple LANC stop/start button, which is REALLY useful.

Everything, apart from the VA 5" monitor is powered from the Helix. Once I make up another lemo cable, I'll be able to power that too.

I'm really happy with the performance. Once it's balance and calibrated, it's so easy to use. As and inexperienced gimbal operator, I've been able to capture great footage the first time on a job.

_DSF5756 sm.jpg
_DSF5756 sm.jpg (641.35 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
_DSF5749 sm.jpg
_DSF5749 sm.jpg (877 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
_DSF5747 sm.jpg
_DSF5747 sm.jpg (765.12 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Jeffrey Chance

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks for this everyone!

I've been able to get it balanced with other lenses, but I'm wondering if anyone has EVER gotten it balanced with the Sigma 18-35mm?

I've spoken to G.T a few times about this and she said I would need the pro model, but some filmmakers have said it was possible

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Jeffrey Chance wrote:Thanks for this everyone!

I've been able to get it balanced with other lenses, but I'm wondering if anyone has EVER gotten it balanced with the Sigma 18-35mm?

I've spoken to G.T a few times about this and she said I would need the pro model, but some filmmakers have said it was possible

Sorry, never owned that lens.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Denny Smith

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 12:51 am

The issue with the Sigma 18-35 is not so much it’s weight, but thatnthe weight is out on the front end of a rather long lens, with a gif front glass element, creating a leverage weight that is greater than its actual weight.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Zak Ray

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Yes, the Helix is great but Letus could definitely make it more user friendly (more tutorials, better designed mobile app, more camera balancing presets...)

Personally, I replaced the left handle with a focus handle (the PD Movie from Ikan, which is decent if not spectacular). I have the monitor mounted on the back using the cold shoe attachment.

I used to power everything through the Helix batteries but I've found I get slightly better performance from the motors (and obviously longer battery life) by powering the Ursa through an external battery that I attach to a battery belt. It also has the advantage of being able to run the camera to set up / review footage without the Helix being on.

One little gotcha-- be careful not to handle the Helix batteries by the cords. They can fray easily and I've broken a few.

Question-- has anyone figured out a quick release method? I tried buying a manfrotto quick release adapter but it affected the balance too much.
BMD Pocket 4K / MacBook Pro 16" (6-core, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB)

Jeffrey Chance

PostSun Jun 23, 2019 9:11 pm

It's funny seeing this post almost a year later and three helix batteries stopped working on me.

I've given up trying with the sigma 18-35mm, and right when I gave up someone messaged me that they can balance it easily... Bringing me back into the hunt :cry:

Return to Cinematography