UltraStudio Mini Monitor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Stephan Lesger

UltraStudio Mini Monitor

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

Hi,

I'm new on this forum, having just purchased a Mini Monitor converter for my Eizo CG277. It works fine and i get a nice reference image, however there is one thing not clear to me. I also do postproduction/ Photoshop on the same monitor and in that case i have the screen calibrated for print or web. So when i do color grading instead of Photoshop, i switch the screen signal to HDMI, through the Mini Monitor, and i have a really nice reference screen while color-grading. My question is; when using the Mini Monitor, do i change the mode of the reference-screen to REC709 for instance, or does the Mini Monitor overrule this anyway? I only work in Davinci Resolve and have done no calibration in the Davinci software itself.

Thanks in advance for any help, because now i don't know if my reference screen is indeed a reference!

Thanks, Stephan Lesger

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: UltraStudio Mini Monitor

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Your monitor calibration is separate to the source or the mini monitor so you should have the monitor calibrated for web if exporting to web, rec 709 for HD video, 2020 for UHD etc.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

bruce alan greene

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Stephan Lesger wrote:Hi,

I'm new on this forum, having just purchased a Mini Monitor converter for my Eizo CG277. It works fine and i get a nice reference image, however there is one thing not clear to me. I also do postproduction/ Photoshop on the same monitor and in that case i have the screen calibrated for print or web. So when i do color grading instead of Photoshop, i switch the screen signal to HDMI, through the Mini Monitor, and i have a really nice reference screen while color-grading. My question is; when using the Mini Monitor, do i change the mode of the reference-screen to REC709 for instance, or does the Mini Monitor overrule this anyway? I only work in Davinci Resolve and have done no calibration in the Davinci software itself.

Thanks in advance for any help, because now i don't know if my reference screen is indeed a reference!

Thanks, Stephan Lesger

I have the similar CX271 model. I use the HDMI from the decklink card for resolve and switch to display port for direct computer output for photoshop. My display has 3 pre sets that can be calibrated. One is for the HDMI from resolve, and another wide gamut for photoshop, and the 3rd sRGB or REC709 for web browsing.

Stephan Lesger

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 am

Hey, thanks for the speedy reply! I tried it out and it does look familiar.

@ bruce: You refer to a preset " One is for the HDMI from Resolve " ,which one would that be then? I now have made a calibration for REC709 and when after that I switch to the HDMI signal i get a good fullscreen image.

Thanks and have a good day, regards, Stephan.

bruce alan greene

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Stephan Lesger wrote:Hey, thanks for the speedy reply! I tried it out and it does look familiar.

@ bruce: You refer to a preset " One is for the HDMI from Resolve " ,which one would that be then? I now have made a calibration for REC709 and when after that I switch to the HDMI signal i get a good fullscreen image.

Thanks and have a good day, regards, Stephan.

I just think I meant that my display has 3 user calibration memory choices. From the factory they might have been named Cal 1, Cal 2, and Cal 3. I since changed the names to REC709 2.2, Native, and REC 709 2.4 on mine. I use Native for Photoshop and 3D LUTs stored in Resolve software. The other memory positions are factory settings for Paper, sRGB, Adobe RGB etc. You can't use a probe to calibrate these factory memory positions, but I think you can change brightness etc with the on screen controls in the display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve