Resolve 14.0.1 10-bit HEVC Export Instability (macOS)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

William McGough

Resolve 14.0.1 10-bit HEVC Export Instability (macOS)

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 4:36 pm

I am experiencing problems exporting 10-bit HEVC in Resolve 14.0.1 and macOS 10.13.1 Beta on my 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro (Skylake).

Exporting starts normally (running at ~16fps) and encodes about 10 seconds of a 24fps timeline. Then, export slows to 0 or 0.5 fps for ~30 seconds (real time – no export progress), and then encodes another ~5 seconds of the timeline at ~16fps before slowing to 0.5fps again and repeating that process. The export continues in that lurching manner and eventually finishes. However, if you try to stop the export mid-way and quit Resolve, Resolve does not gracefully exit and must be Force Quit. (I experienced this problem when exporting using Metal and OpenCL on my internal RadeonPro 460 and external (Thunderbolt) RadeonPro 580.)

That being said, other exports of the same timeline have no problem (including HEVC 8-bit). This leads me to believe that the problem is related to the fact that my 2016 MBP's Skylake processor only supports hardware acceleration of HEVC 8-bit encode/decode (whereas the newer 2017 MBPs' Kaby Lake processors support hardware acceleration of HEVC 10-bit encode/decode).

(I am very happy to have accelerated HEVC 8-bit for now but if the Resolve team can tune up the 10-bit HEVC export on Skylake, I'll be even happier.)
Resolve Studio × Micro Panel, MacBook Pro 16" × eGPU (Vega Frontier Edition), Canon C200, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K × Metabones, Pocket Cinema Camera × Metabones, Eizo CG248-4K

William McGough

Re: Resolve 14.0.1 10-bit HEVC Export Instability (macOS)

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Problem persists in macOS 10.13.1 Beta 2.

Resolve will report dropped frames. Attempting to stop the export will result in Resolve becoming unresponsive. VTEncoderXPCService will need to be Force Quit. Temporary file (ending in something like ".mov.sb-7b3b46f1-6pycZe") will remain, but after renaming it to end simply in ".mov" and attempting to open it, QuickTime reports that it can't open the file.
Resolve Studio × Micro Panel, MacBook Pro 16" × eGPU (Vega Frontier Edition), Canon C200, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K × Metabones, Pocket Cinema Camera × Metabones, Eizo CG248-4K

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 8:44 pm

William, set your Deliver/File/Render Speed to 10 fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

William McGough

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 12:02 am

Rick, thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately, the problem persists.

I tried a couple times (with different timelines) and was sure to check that I had Render Speed set to 10 fps before I added the render to the queue... The render got stopped in the same place in the timeline (but took a bit longer to get there since my renders normally run at ~14fps).

Timothy Cook

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 2:37 am

William I have the same issues that you are having with the 10 bit HEVC codec delivery. I'm on a maxed out 2017 27" iMac with the latest processors(Kaby Lake). At first I thought it maybe that I'm running High Sierra now, but the 8bit HEVC seems to work fine

I didn't really need to deliver in 10 bit HEVC, but I did want to run a few shots strung together to see how the newer HEVC handled compression and to get an overall feel for it.

8bit HEVC delivers fine but when switching to 10 bit HEVC it hangs up every time in the same place. And if I try to stop it Resolve freezes and I have to force quit.

Maxed out 2017 27" IMac
8GB video ram
64GB Ram
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Erik Wittbusch

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 am

I know this is not a solution... but that's how I do it.

I always render out a Master from Resolve (ProRes or DNxHR variants in 10/12bit).

Then I use Handbrake or Hybrid for the actual HEVC delivery encoding.
They are both free, fast and reliable and do batch encoding.

Sam Steti

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 9:40 am

Erik Wittbusch wrote:I know this is not a solution... but that's how I do it.

I always render out a Master from Resolve (ProRes or DNxHR variants in 10/12bit).

Then I use Handbrake or Hybrid for the actual HEVC delivery encoding.
They are both free, fast and reliable and do batch encoding.

Yes it is a solution... Asking Resolve to export h265 as good as those which have been doing that for years (and that have "this "mission" only) is a bit rough.
I've always exported a high quality master first, which is re-encoded on different formats depending to the destinations.
Imho, the fact that it can make it doesn't mean one can rely on a brand new function which itself is relying on a brand new OS function...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 pm

I’m thinking there are some flaws with the 10bit HEVC implementation. I get through my Render but have some green artifacts at the bottom of the frame. Developers will be looking at it. You might want to raise a Problem Ticket with BMD Support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to DaVinci Resolve