How to stabilize shots with just waves in the frame?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Janis Lionel

How to stabilize shots with just waves in the frame?

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Hey guys

How would you stabilize a shot with just water (waves)in the frame? The cam was mounted on a tripod, though it was quite windy. I don't seem to get it done with the new or the classic stabilizer. Would be greatful for tips.

Thanks.
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Hendrik Proosa

Re: How to stabilize shots with just waves in the frame?

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 4:25 pm

It could be a task that inclines more on the vfx and comp side. There are different ways how to accomplish this if regular automatic methods dont work.

One way is to create motion vectors, blur them heavily and use them to compensate for any movement that is not aligned with general motion of rolling waves.

Another way, which is a bit tedious, but will always work, is to manually track positions on water surface and use these for stabilization. Might sound impossible because surface is constantly changing, but is doable with proper tools (center on selected tracker is the most important tracker feature here, for checking positional accuracy).
I do stuff

Jim Simon

Re: How to stabilize shots with just waves in the frame?

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Janis Lionel wrote:How would you stabilize a shot with just water (waves)in the frame?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/t ... 3907816570

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stab ... 3717223531

;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve