DaVinci 15 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dan Sherman

Re: DAVINCI 15 | Big feature request list.

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 5:40 pm

anti-aliasing of titles
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Hector Berrebi

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 7:59 am

Ben Johnston wrote:Having reluctantly spent the day in FCPX, purely to access a particular set of simple animated text effects, I'd love to see a lean, tasteful, contemporary selection of animated elements for text and transitions. OFX options seems to be pretty slim on the ground.

I agree text tool could be better,
But check out NewBlue for a nice OFX option.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Alex Uzan

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Hector Berrebi wrote:
Ben Johnston wrote:Having reluctantly spent the day in FCPX, purely to access a particular set of simple animated text effects, I'd love to see a lean, tasteful, contemporary selection of animated elements for text and transitions. OFX options seems to be pretty slim on the ground.

I agree text tool could be better,
But check out NewBlue for a nice OFX option.

An option yes, but not a nice one.

Nb titler is slow, not well optimized, and crashs a lot with Resolve.
I spent too much time on it for always bad results, if I compare with what I can do in After Effects.

Lee Niederkofler

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:34 am

waltervolpatto wrote:5) When we drag'n drop a file from bin to timeline, it always move the playhead at the end of the clip. Would be nice to have an option to not move the playhead.

+1

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

+1

Martin Heffels

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 am

It would be great if:

Match Frame would match the selected Video/Audio clip int he source window, instead of having to disable all other tracks, except the one you want to Frame Match.

This is a ongoing request, so I'm not the first one: make it possible to change the size/frame-rate of the project afterwards. Not, once you set it, you're stuck to it. The workarounds are a pain to get your project to another frame-rate. Even exporting to say 25fps of a 50fps, isn't possible. I believe any decent NLE can do this ;)

The burn-in of timecodes is useless in my opinion. As example, I look at Adobe Premiere. Timecode for every track, and if I shift audio of a video-track, this is also reflected in the timecode.
In Resolve the timecode of audio and video stay the same. It is handy to keep exact track of the timecodes, when checking synch among audio and video.

A shortcut-key to zoom in/out on the timeline. Having to drag the slider all the time is laborious, and isn't precise. +/= key to zoom in, -/_ key to zoom out would be nice.
And while the programmers are at it, short-cut for the track-height as well please. E.g. Alt-+ and Alt-- to increase/decrease height (see Adobe Premiere).

Consistency in key-usage: in the edit-panel, arrow-up/-down equals next/previous cut. In Fairlight this is track up/down.
Last edited by Martin Heffels on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Brown

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 4:59 am

Please add native audio support in Linux. Having to use extra hardware for mobile laptop users is not a convenient solution.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 4:25 pm

delivery
once the delivery has been prepared, having an extra option that sound like

[Render markers only]
[Colors (checkmark for colors)].

If i have to do 20 patches of various length on a finish reel, i don't want to export the whole product again, i want to export singles shots/ in - out/ single frames.
And i don't want to make 20 new batch exports either (prone to errors).
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

waltervolpatto

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Media page, if i select shots, a count of how many shots i selected.

The ability to type a frame number, not just timecode
The ability to type a frame number in the source timecode, if that clip has it, jump at that frame
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

waltervolpatto

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 3:30 am

old request.

FIFO / render ahead plauback cache.

does not matter how much power you have in the machine, there will be alwas that moment where you have to play and those 4 shots will not play in realtime for just a bit, and there is no time to wait for the cache.

The best implementation I saw of a FIFO buffer playout, is in the SGO mistika:

you press play
the machine start to render as fast as it could frames (as if you have the machine in delivery mode and you just export: it goes as fast as you can)
put everything in a buffer first In, First out, as large as the memory can hold (usually for our machine ws 750 frames in 2K
after 8 frames are rendered, it start to play the first, then the second at 24fps and soon.
if your playout cache render is faster than 24fps, it will fill the ram, if it is lower, it will deplete.
all the little glitch that you might get at the cutpopints (when they are too tight often you ger a hiccups even if you're overpowered) an dthose pesky sots will play smooth for a while.

second, the ability to tell the machine how many frames to wait (filling th ecache) before you have to play: range 1-48
third, after a set time of inactivity, stat to fill the cache for playback.

Wayne Dupuis

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 9:58 pm

Gui shows for third party and local effects/transitions/aftereffects..

Robert Arnold

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 pm

I’ve been a devoted and constant user of Resolve since version 8, and have been really impressed with the responsiveness of the BlackMagic team to bug reports and feature requests. Thank you so much!

Below is my list of bugs and feature requests, from the point of view of a full-time colorist working in the latest version with a Mini panel. Many of these are tiny things, but they are things I encounter all the time:

BUGS:
1) If I play a still, then resize/reposition that still using Reference Sizing, I can no longer wipe the still. I have to hide it and then play it again to re-enable wiping.
2) It’s great that we can enter timecode directly into the various timecode readouts to go to particular points in the video, but those boxes need to receive focus (and give visual feedback!) when we click in them. Otherwise, I might have clips on the timeline selected (on the Edit page), then click in the timecode window in the source viewer and start typing a timecode, only to have the timeline receive those keystrokes and inadvertently trim all of the selected shots!
3) It’s surprising and kind of embarrassing that flopping a shot causes the Window Pan and/or Tilt to operate backwards. They should always move the Window in relation to the shot as viewed.
4) The OFX Favorites feature is still buggy. Often I open a project and no effects appear under favorites until I go to All, then click on one Favorite, then all of them appear under favorites again.
5) Path names that include backslashes ( \ ) do not work at all in Resolve. I can understand why from a programming perspective, but when a client brings you a drive on which every folder of clips is named by date with backslashes (e.g. “interiors 10\17\16”), it’s tough to explain why you have to batch rename almost every folder on his drive!

Most importantly:
6) Resolve should NEVER EVER cache the “MEDIA OFFLINE” graphic. Why? Why would I ever want that cached? Sometimes media goes offline or is not yet online when a project opens. Often Resolve will cache the hateful graphic and I have to actually delete the cache for that clip after the media is online to get the image back. This has resulted in situations in which a render of a full show, which was done with “Use Render Cached Images” checked, had a few frames of the Media Offline graphic here and there, forcing me to re-render the whole thing (and twice as slowly, because I had to re-render all of the OFX shots, which I had previously cached.)

FEATURE REQUESTS:
1) Wiping of stills from the Mini Panel! It makes me crazy to have to do this with the mouse.
2) Viewer timecode on the Color page should Default to Timeline TC, not Source TC, or at very least remember my selection. I almost never care about the source TC on the Color, page, but use the Timeline TC constantly.
3) It’s a tiny thing, but we should be able to click on the names of the OFX categories to open/close those categories. It’s just good UI.
4) It seems like the lower left quadrant of the UI always ends up sitting on the Motion Effects tab when using the Mini Panel. It would be great if any input to the wheels/balls would pop the UI back to Primary or Log (depending on which mode we’re in).
5) I hate having the values at the bottom of the bottom left quadrant of the UI split into two tabs. I want to easily see Contrast, Saturation, Shadows, Hilights, Midtone Detail values etc. without flipping back and forth. It would be great to have them show up on the panel as they are adjusted as well!
6) We should be able to change or at least reset the 3D value of a window after it has been tracked. Often when editing a track, the 3D skewing has gotten to a state that makes it impossible to modify the window as wanted.
7) It would be great if the Remote link icons (under the clips on the Color page) would show you not only that there are linked clips, but whether those clips are to the left or the right (or both) of the selected clip in the timeline.
8) It is a repeated source of frustration that you cannot add the same piece of media to your project as BOTH an offline reference clip and a regular clip that can be edited into the timeline. Frequently, especially during quick turnaround jobs, the client has provided a high-quality QT as a reference movie and we need to grab shots from it because a few clip cannot be linked properly. In these situations I am forced to duplicate it in the finder as having imported it as an offline reference makes it unavailable as actual media.
9) Cache management!
a) Resolve should alert you if your cache disk is getting full, instead of just chugging to a halt and erroring,
b) The should be a cache manager window that shows you which projects there are caches for and how big they are, and allows you to delete them.
10) The Colortrace UI is due for an overhaul
11) Media Management still fails a lot, with little insight as to why.
12) Can we have Track-level grades back? I believe we used to have these, but then they became Timeline grades. Here’s a common scenario: I grade a doc that uses some archival. I use groups for various things, and at the end the Director wants to add grain to everything *except* the archival (which already has its own grain.) I can’t throw everything except the archival into one group, as it will lose all of my group grades. If I add it at the Timeline level it gets applied to the archival as well. If I could apply it by Track, I could easily put all the archival on its own track and apply the grain to only track one.
13) I’d love an “Append Memory” command. I have a bunch of power grades that consist of a single node (for instance a Temporal NR preset), which I use by appending their node graph to my clip’s grade. I want to be able to do this with a key command, but there is currently no way, as I have to mouse over and select the powergrade. If I could assign such a grade to a memory, and then have a way to *append* that memory’s node graph to the current clip, I could program my keypad with lots of useful preset nodes, which would be a big timesaver.

Thanks for reading!!

Hector Berrebi

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 am

Some of these were probably already added here somewhere..

* More flag colors
* Filtering based on clip color
* in the Filtering menu, in the Modified Clips sub menu, the ability to see "Modified since last project open"
* An "Offline" heading for bins/metadata - especially so I can use it in Smart Bins filtering (or did I miss it somehow)

Julian van Mil

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 am

Dan Sherman wrote:anti-aliasing of titles

needs to happen. + better anti-aliasing of resized / repositioned graphics
Studio Feather
www.studiofeather.com

Mohammad Alkazemi

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Hello,

Please add a clear indicator on the playhead to show whether I’m in the selection mode or trim edit mode.

It could be green light on one and blue light on the other.

It becomes a little annoying when I have to look away from the timeline to make sure I’m in the right mode everytime I want to perform a trim or clip retiming.

Thank you.

Tahir Moosa

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Bring DAVINCI ACES back... pleasesssssseeeee

Dermot Shane

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 4:00 pm

today's thought.. working in an HDR project, woud be nice if every time i add a node i don't have to click HDR, if the node before is flagged HDR, maybe a node added after could take on the same properties?

also the control mapping on the glow OFX has a pretty narrow band once in HDR, values between 0.001 and 0.058 represent the entire range between full off and full on....

Dave Dugdale

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 8:42 pm

1. Allow the "enter" key next to the numeric keypad to work when entering a keyword into the keyword field on the media page.
    2. Provide a way to delete permanently a miss entered keyword. For instance if you type a keyword and auto save is on, half way through the word resolve might auto save and disrupt what I was doing, a keyword like 'Defeat' and might turn into 'Def'. Now each time you start to type def, it shows you def. There seems to be no way to delete a keyword like def.
    3. Allow the keyword shortcuts for mark in and mark out points to work with "focus" in the media tab. What I mean by focus is when you are stepping through many clips quickly to mark in's and out's the focus on your mouse movement is in the pane that shows all your clips, but when you go to type I or O to mark your points nothing happens because the focus is not on the preview screen area it is on the list area. So each time I want to mark a point I have to bring my mouse over to provide focus to the preview area.
Dave Dugdale
Learningvideo.com

Camron D. Crouse

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Bruce Allen wrote:My top 5, plus a bonus!
BONUS: Stills mode so I can ditch Lightroom :P (is it just me or does going back to Lightroom / DXO / Capture One just feel like a massive step backwards?)

waltervolpatto wrote:Dust busting should be allowed on any single frame type, not just dpx 10bit.

The movie I'm working has film scans and the client demanded a exr workflow.

It is unimaginable painful.

For all the 2700 shots of the movie.

I'd like to heartily agree with these feature requests.

Indeed, I'd like to see Resolve open up to a whole new market of professional and enthusiast still photographers.

This week Adobe announced a bombshell to its pro photographer user base: after the end of this year (2017), the company will discontinue the standalone, purchased version of its Lightroom photo editing software, favoring a subscription-only business model. This is creating frustration that many photographers' primary post-processing software will no longer be supported, as well as sowing doubt that their archives will not be future-proofed.

In April 2015 Adobe announced that Lightroom users would have the option to subscribe to Lightroom Creative Cloud for a monthly fee, or they may opt to buy the software outright with the traditional perpetual purchase licensing model. Lightroom CC was touted as a constantly-updated photo processing application, which would get the newest features and bug fixes, weeks or months before they were implemented in the standard purchased LR5.X version.

The reason this could be relevant to Blackmagic Design is that Adobe seems to have bungled their latest Lightroom rollout. Currently at version 6.X for a perpetual license purchase, Adobe Lightroom will continue henceforth in two fractured and somewhat confusing manners; both of which are built around Adobe's Creative Cloud-based subscription model where users are obligated to pay a monthly fee in order for the software to be fully functional. "Lightroom CC" has now been redeveloped into a simplified app that will float between desktop, tablet, and handset usage, and seems to be aimed at an amateur photographers market. However, the "old" Lightroom CC is still available but has now been renamed "Lightroom Classic CC". Adobe has promised to continue development on this LR "Classic", but for Creative Cloud subscribers only. There will no longer be any version of Lightroom sold by Adobe for outright purchase, and this week's blowback from passionate Lightroom users has been immense.

This post is not meant as a rant; I've used Lightroom for many years, and there is a lot that I like about it. However, years before digital SLR cameras were widely available, I worked in a Telecine facility and was trained on a daVinci Rennaissance 8:8:8 GUI system. In many ways I always felt that Lightroom was trying to reinvent the wheel of a mature post-production color-correction workflow, and stumbling unnecessarily along the way. Adobe never did quite seem to get it right in my opinion... Lightroom Development and/or management had a hard time implementing user input like feature requests and bug reports. An ongoing source of frustration for users were performance issues, even on spendy workstations. Lightroom 5 finally received a simple Power-Window type mask tool (circular and elliptical shapes only)... but 3-way Color Wheels, where are you? My detailed pleas in the user forums only fell on deaf ears.

As far as Resolve replacing Lightroom? Well, to my delight, I have been able to open a few .CR2 Canon RAW still images in Resolve to play around with. However, the touch-up brush is not available except for .DPX frames. I'd love to be able to experiment with this tool on any still image file format. Spot healing with freehand brushstroke repairs on my stills are a necessity for me, and I'm sure experienced pros would agree.

To BMD, I suggest to strike while the iron is hot. There are many frustrated longtime Lightroom users that are painfully and angrily saying goodbye to Adobe due to being increasingly forced into the company's subscription-only business model. These are pro users, by and large, and they are looking for a replacement for Lightroom right away. I think that with a few tweaks, Resolve could also be Resolve For Stills... that could be just what they need.

Adam Brown

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 9:25 am

EVERY value in the Inspector has the ability to be keyframed and to have the points converted to Bezier within the Curve Editor...except the position value (arguably the value that needs it MOST). Please enable this feature for position.

Ryan Douthit

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Ability to have multiple-resolution, multi-framerate timelines for single projects is a must. It seems very 2009 to require a project to be a single framerate from the get-to. It's pretty normal these days to produce edits that require multiple aspect ratios, resolutions and frame rates -- especially for social media use.

mattfezz

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Here are four that would of been great on recent jobs:

1) Typically when we output - we do a single clip + individual clips with handles to go into online.
Then usually export an edl, reload the rendered single clip and split it using the preconform method - and then export that new timeline as an xml/edl for the online. That way we get all the cut points in the single clip in case we need to do any further work on them in the online without going to then individual clips.

It would be great as an option when outputting a single clip to output a simple edl/xml/aaf pointing to the single clip render with just all the cut points.

2) sizing based motion blur - basically a motion blur that is applied only on sizing (position/zoom/rotation etc) moves that are applied in resolve. Like how after effects does it. It’s pretty essential when doing simulated camera moves and sometimes you don’t want the motion blur to apply to the video content itself, only the added motion.

3) no limit on edit sizing zoom/position. I recently had to zoom 8k shots in very close and repo it to match the offline using the edit sizing tools. But at a certain point I could not move it any further, was able to work around with a combo of edit/input sizing but it got a bit overly complicated.

4) with the new stabilizer, would be good to be able to disable/control individual pan/tilt/zoom/rotation amounts. And if possible - would be amazing to be able to keyframe the amounts including a master amount also.

Bonus - like others have said a lot - a much easier way to control easing on position key frames.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

waltervolpatto

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Ryan Douthit wrote:Ability to have multiple-resolution, multi-framerate timelines for single projects is a must. It seems very 2009 to require a project to be a single framerate from the get-to. It's pretty normal these days to produce edits that require multiple aspect ratios, resolutions and frame rates -- especially for social media use.

Actually quantel was able to mix abs match in 2003...

Adam Brown

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 9:32 pm

ability to record voice overs directly from the edit page.

Lars Steenhoff

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 pm

LUT thumbnails. :!:

Selecting them from a list is tedious at best.
Just make a grid with thumbnail showing the currently selected node with different LUTS

Also bring back separate RGB Cuves next to each other. I don't want them alway on top of each other.

Josef Pöllmann

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 8:56 am

A drop-down list of the last 10 used source clips in the sourceviewer similar to the drop-down list in the timeline viewer in order to rapidly switch source clips while editing in the timeline.

Would be great!

Thanks

Josef

Edit April 2nd, 2018: It also would be nice if the list of timelines in a porject on top of the timeline viewer would show the last one which was worked on like in a stack in the first place. That would help to orientate in a big project with several timelines.

Would also be great

Thanks

Josef
Last edited by Josef Pöllmann on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Studio on a HP Z 420, 128 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 2x4 + 1x2 TB Media, RTX4060TI 16GB, 551.61 Studio, W10 for Workstations 22H2 - www.muehldorf-tv.de

PeterMoretti

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 1:45 am

+1111
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

PeterMoretti

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 1:53 am

It would be very nice to have the choice to view Audio Track on the Media Page's viewer persist until it is manually changed Source. Every time I select a different video clip, it switches back to Source by itself.

This is incredibly annoying when trying to check audio and video sync for a few hundred video files. Every time I want to check another clips sync, I have to change the viewer's display back to Audio Track because it has automatically switched itself back to Source.

Thanks much.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

David Cherniack

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 9:19 am

PERSISTENT CACHE FILES WHEN MOVING TIMELINE CLIPS.

When moving or trimming a stand-alone clips or layers of clips the cache file need to be re-rendered. Sometimes that's necessary when trimming, depending on the added effects, but it's never necessary with a simple move. That this feature is not yet implemented can only be excused by the breakneck pace of development but it should be added ASAP. It's extremely frustrating to have to re-render large number of clips because they've simply been shifted on the timeline. I've just moved an edit of a sequence with a lot of optical flow into Premiere where I can move a trim to my hearts content without losing the preview renders.
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

Jed Mitchell

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 7:22 pm

Add some ability to create metadata tags for individual instances of clips on a timeline which can be accessed as a delivery variable -- specifically for the purposes of batch rendering plates for visual effects with some kind of persistent naming conventions.

Currently all keywords / metadata / variables are tied to a master clip, so if you enter a metadata value for a clip (i.e. "VFX_Shot020") and then use multiple parts of that clip in different places on your timeline ("010", "020", "030", etc), every part of that clip will inherit the same VFXShot# variable, making it impossible to export individually named plates from the same master clip.

You can of course use the %i / TimelineIndex variable to create unique filenames at export, but if you later need to add a shot (i.e. create "025" between "020" and "030", all the later timeline indexes will ripple upward, ruining your shot numbering convention. There really needs to be some way to tag clip instances on a timeline with metadata not inherited from master clips, the way Nuke Studio handles plate exporting.
"It's amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it."

Systems:
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x RTX Titan | 960Pro cache disk
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x 2080 Ti | 660p cache disk

Jonathan de Blok

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 3:12 pm

To add to that... Being able to use the timeline's metadata in the custom output filename when rendering out a timeline to single clip, so:

filename = %timelineName_%description_%version

So it's easy to do things like this:

myAwesomeEdit_preview_v0004.mp4

Right now I send edit v0001 to client, modify it after feedback and I then want to send out v0002 without me manually renaming files and what not. So the output file can be controlled using meta data on the timeline itself, not from clips on it.

Jonathan de Blok

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 3:20 pm

Reload footage.

Most of the things I edit are 3d renders and mograph from after effects.. When there is an updated shot
'relink' works somewhat, but when an updated shot is longer or shorter things start to mess up. The new length isn't taken into account and the clip is stuck on the old data for example.

So I'd like to be able to relink or update to completely different footage.. could be different resolution, name, lenght etc. (Timecodes are not an issue in this case, I've never seen timecodes on these kinds of materials anyways, they all simply starts at 0). Premiere and AE handle this just fine. This is the biggest issue I'm facing since jumping ship to Resolve.. it all works so much better except for things like this.

Denis Mortell

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 9:30 am

Windows 10 x64

Hovering the mouse cursor over buttons on the interface reveals what they are only for some of them.

It would be nice if this happened for every button and tool in the program.

D.

Hector Berrebi

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 8:19 am

Jonathan de Blok wrote:Reload footage.

Most of the things I edit are 3d renders and mograph from after effects.. When there is an updated shot
'relink' works somewhat, but when an updated shot is longer or shorter things start to mess up. The new length isn't taken into account and the clip is stuck on the old data for example.

Hi Jonathan, did you look into the Reconform from Bins option? its Page 594 in manual and might solve some of your issues relinking.

Patrick Taylor

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 11:50 pm

Please add an icon on thumbnails on the Edit page for clips being currently used on the active timeline. I know i can switch to the list view, and then refresh the "Usage", but this takes too long and takes me away from my edit. This is pretty basic stuff and I'm surprised, given the amount of update tot he edit functionality, that is still not present. A number as the icon would be great. Premiere has this and is one of several reasons I still cannot consider Resolve as a pro level editor.

Marcus Herrick

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 12:00 am

In the node tree, you should be able to assign the "Add Source" to one of the time line layers. This would make compositing within resolve much easier. For example adding a light wrap over a keyed foreground or using OFX with multiple inputs.

Currently, if you want a second input to a shot, to create a composite, you have to import the element as 'matte'. Which requires me to export a section of my timeline, re-import it as a matte and then add it to my composite. Very time consuming.

Also if mattes could sit on the timeline while 'disabled' (therefore invisible), but still accessible as an additional source in the node tree, it would make managing edits with many mattes much easier.

Thanks.

PeterMoretti

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 1:17 am

+111 for the above.

It would be very nice to have more clip colors to choose from. As there are some obvious ones that are missing, lIke Red, White and Black.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 2:42 am

Marcus Herrick wrote:In the node tree, you should be able to assign the "Add Source" to one of the time line layers. This would make compositing within resolve much easier. For example adding a light wrap over a keyed foreground or using OFX with multiple inputs.

Currently, if you want a second input to a shot, to create a composite, you have to import the element as 'matte'. Which requires me to export a section of my timeline, re-import it as a matte and then add it to my composite. Very time consuming.

Also if mattes could sit on the timeline while 'disabled' (therefore invisible), but still accessible as an additional source in the node tree, it would make managing edits with many mattes much easier.

Thanks.

In 14 You can right click in the media page to a clip and add it ad matte in the color page.

One click!

Patrick Taylor

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 3:18 am

PeterMoretti wrote:+111 for the above.

It would be very nice to have more clip colors to choose from. As there are some obvious ones that are missing, lIke Red, White and Black.

It would be nice if we could actually see the clip colors in the clip bins too. Just sayin.

PeterMoretti

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 8:41 am

Patrick, btw you actually can see the clip colors is list view.

Concerning bins PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE disable the action of a bin changing its view when you create a timeline from a selected clip.

If I have a bin open, select a clip/clips and choose New Timeline Using Selected Clip, the bin window automatically moves to the Timelines Bin. This is so insanely annoying. As I have to navigate the entire bin tree to get back to the bin that I was just in. And I need to find where I left off in that bin. With hundreds of clips, this can be a huge PITA.

And it would be nice to have the ability to designate a bin to always be on top, so other windows (even if you click on them) can't cover up the bin.

Also, have the ability to know how many items are in a bin. This is very helpful when seeing if there is a discrepancy between the contents in a bin and let's say a media storage folder. Or when a client asks "How many dailies do you have?"

Thanks so very much guys!!
Last edited by PeterMoretti on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 5:21 pm

[Stereo 3d sync]

If i right click on a folder in the media page, it should populate the (choose folders) worth that one by default.

waltervolpatto

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 1:19 am

I can move the played one second with

Shift + arrows.

Implement

move 10 seconds
cntrl+shift+arrow

Patrick Taylor

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 am

PLEASE! bring back the old, separate, curves boxes. At the very least, clicking on different color curves is problematic. I accidentally click the wrong one all the time. What a a PITA. You can do it BM!

Matt Heere

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm a relative newcomer to Resolve having just switched from Premier Pro. I'm sure that some of this is my learning curve, but there are a couple of things that I really miss from PP:

1. Effective use of multiple CPU cores. Premier certainly doesn't have it nailed either, but Resolve makes lousy use of my 32 core workstation. Things like stabilization should execute in the background, and should spin up a lot more threads!

2. Multiple resolutions/frame rates per project. It was really nice to be able to create timelines in any resolution/frame rate so I could work with clips as they were shot within one project.

3. I find the storage location management in Resolve to be maddening. I can never seem to get cache files, optimized media, stills, recorded audio, etc. for a given project to go where I want them to. This was dirt simple in PP.

4. The ability to perform things like stabilization in bulk. Resolve will sometimes let you select multiple clips and do something with them, but sometimes you have to create a group first, and sometimes it just isn't possible.

5. The idea of clip master settings. This one is probably my ignorance, but PP let me apply adjustments at what is essentially a file level. This saved me from having to create adjustment layers in the timeline (equivalent of groups in the color work space in Resolve) and it showed those adjustments in the clip editor.

waltervolpatto

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Dolby shot after analysis: instead of use [0-1] value, express the numbers in nits.

PeterMoretti

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Matt Heere wrote:...
3. I find the storage location management in Resolve to be maddening. I can never seem to get cache files, optimized media, stills, recorded audio, etc. for a given project to go where I want them to. This was dirt simple in PP.

I think this might be related to the fact that Working Flolders and the Capture folder are set in Project Settings but they are actually program level settings, AFAICT.

And Media Storage Locations (set in DaVinci Resolve... Preferences... System) is a program level setting. But shouldn't that also be a project (or at least database) level setting as well?

There are a lot reasons, such as who "owns" the media, drive speed and space, or what computer I am working on, where I my want to change these settings from project to project or at least database to database.

It seems that having Resolve inherit these settings from the last opened instance of Resolve (and not from what was specified for that project) can cause a lot of problems. And *maybe* that's contributing to what you are seeing?

I too hope this is sorted out.

Roel Videler

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this, but I'd like the viewer to have a couple of extra buttons:

View mask - Where you can draw a quick mask around a subject which then gets cut out of the image, kind of like a window. This would be for the purposes of your scopes just showing the part of the image you're working on. The advantage over the magic wand now is that you'd be able to work on a non-last node without disabling everything that comes after. It'd be really great if you could actually opt to not hide the rest of the image, but I feel that might be a big ask in the current image pipeline.

Quick save - An option to quickly save a JPG, PNG, whatever (settings required I guess), to the default folder with a name like %hh-%mm-%ss-%ff-Timeline-Clip-Version. Grabbing and exporting is waay to tedious and I don't like flooding my gallery.

Resolutions per timeline - I mean it's in timeline settings, so.. I'd like to have a timeline for 1080x1080 (social media) and UHD in the same project. I use the settings presets now, which kinda works, but meh. Also that doesn't allow me to render multiple clips from the same project where there's a square and a 16:9 version.

Output colorspace per export - I'm pretty damn sure I'm not the first one asking for this but I'd really like to override the output colorspace in Colormanaged and Aces workflows so I can render for multiple platforms at once.

Stability- This is where it gets a bit personal, but I feel Resolve has gotten a bit less stable lately. I've been experiencing viewer/output hangs while the UI still responds and this morning it happened 3 times in one hour. Not just on my Windows machine but also with a client running a Mac Pro, same Resolve version, entirely different project/source material/panels/etc. The only difference is the Mac Pro needs to be reset and on my Windows machine I can just quit Resolve and start it over.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17
HP Z640, Mini Panel, Windows 10 Pro x64, 2x Intel E5-26something, 64GB, Mini Monitor 4K, GTX1080Ti

Roel Videler

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Oh and another thing, when disabling a node that's connected to a layer node, disable that input of the layer node, so you can see what your grade looked like without it. Also, a quick way to re-order the layers. I just ran into that again :D
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17
HP Z640, Mini Panel, Windows 10 Pro x64, 2x Intel E5-26something, 64GB, Mini Monitor 4K, GTX1080Ti

PeterMoretti

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 7:57 am

When a nested timeline is decomposed in place, all of the changes made to it on the edit and color pages, e.g. color corrections, fades, clip gain adjustments are wiped out.

I would be nice for these changes to remain applied to the clips that the nested timeline has been decomposed into.

Seth Goldin

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 4:52 pm

It would be great to have a primary and secondary sort within the Media Pool.

For instance, I'd love to sort a list of items first by Format, and then within each group of items, by File Name or Start TC, etc. If this is already possible, can someone let me know?
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Johan Fleetwood

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 11:27 pm

It would be nice if SNAP would ignore clips on disabled/muted tracks.
Johan Fleetwood
Colorist | Editor | Post Production Consultant
- Win10pro, RTX 2080, Decklink, Mini Panel, Speed Editor, Ample RAM & SSD storage -
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve