How can I stabilize using scanned 16mm film perfs?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robert Nichol

How can I stabilize using scanned 16mm film perfs?

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 3:16 pm

I have 16mm film scans that include a clear view of the perf holes on the left side of the frames. In hopes of locking the images onto the perf holes (to eliminage X-axis weaving and Y-axis jitter) I want to stabilize the entire clip by locking onto one of the perf holes. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do such a seemingly simple task in the Resolve Tracking/Stabilize function. I assume it's a Point Track operation, but I cannot figure it out. Can someone PLEASE provide step-by-step instruction on how to make the stabilizer lock onto the perf hole and nail it down from frame to frame for an entire clip?

I'm using Resolve 14.0.0.078

I am eternally in your debt,
Bob
Last edited by Robert Nichol on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Paines

Re: How can I stabilize using scanned 16mm film perfs?

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 3:30 pm

You might want to post this question on the Fusion forum. Fusion has tools which may be better suited to stabilizing shots, using the perfs as references.

rick.lang

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Robert, I’m assuming you are using Resolve 12.x. I’m not sure if you have you selected the Stabilize dialogue? And do you see the button that enables Cloud or Point Tracking? When you select Point Tracking, you then click on the locations that you want to use to anchor your stabilization. Then select the right arrow control to do the analysis and then hit the Stabilize button to apply the stabilization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

JPOwens

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Robert Nichol wrote:I want to stabilize the entire clip by locking onto one of the perf holes.

You can also invoke "interactive" and trash all the cloud points that you don't want -- everything but the perf hole, if there is enough contrast and or place a point tracker on something that the application deems acceptable. Turn off all the other rotate, perspective, zoom factors.

Seems reminiscent of the old Sony Vialta strategy (among others) that used an electrostatic signature to produce a touchless pin-register.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sony+tel ... YMme39cciM:

jPo, CSI

Robert Nichol

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 10:46 pm

rick.lang wrote:Robert, I’m assuming you are using Resolve 12.x.

Hi, Rick. Thanks. I'm using version 14. But, it should be about the same. I'll give it a try. Many thanks.

rick.lang

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 1:17 am

If what I was saying has changed with Resolve 14, you can still follow those steps if you click on the little drop-down menu and select the Classic Stabilizer. I’m not on the computer to check it out but if it is still confusing, let me know. I can go and walk through all the steps I use for Resolve 14 if you need it.

Rick Lang

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 5:43 am

To me, it's a bad idea to use Resolve or Fusion to stabilized scanned 16mm film. I think you're better off using dedicated film restoration software designed solely for this purpose. MTI Film, Pixel Farm, Diamant, and Algosoft are all high on that list.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

James Gibbs

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi Bob,

I might be a bit late to the party here but this is something we've been looking in to at the film archive where I work. We've had great success using Fusion for stabilising films scans using the perfs. You can link directly to Fusion from your Resolve timeline. Fusion has an excellent tracker that has tracked the perfs perfectly in all the films we have tried so far. The output of the tracker can then be connected to a transform effect that moves the image in the X and Y axis to stabilise the perfs. Once rendered, your stabilised media is then available on your timeline in Resolve. The tracking and rendering does require either considerable computing power or plenty of time though...

I hope this helps, late as it may be...!

James

Todd_Ruel

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 am

James,

I have a RetroScan Universal 2K scanner. It does a high quality job scanning 16mm film, but it does a mediocre job keeping it stable, especially films that are transparent along the perfs.

I'm trying to develop a workflow for scanning, stabilizing and grading these films using off-the-shelf software. (A previous gentleman suggested high-end products like Diamant, but a Diamant workstation costs $20,000. I know, because I asked them how much it cost after I bought their DustBuster+ software for Mac. Too rich for my budget.)

I am not interested in becoming a professional compositor or graphic effects artist. I would only use Fusion for stabilizing scanned films. Should I pay the US $300 for the Fusion software? Or does the free version offer the stabilization tools that you mentioned?

Finally: is the process that you mention easy enough to do?

Thanks for any/all advice you can share! -----Todd Ruel

James Gibbs

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Hello Todd, sorry for the slow reply - I think I might need to turn notifications on somewhere...!

We've been using the free version of the software - it seems to have all the tools you need for this.

I didn't find it that straightforward to begin with. The manual didn't seem to explain things that clearly, or perhaps I just didn't understand... Once I got there though, it is relatively straightforward to do. You do need some element of contrast in the perfs. Ours, even when transparent, do have some slight shadow detail that the tracker can follow.

We're still experimenting but I'm certain the Fusion is suitable for our requirements.

Return to DaVinci Resolve