Camera 4.5 Update for URSA Mini 4k and SSD?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jani Lahtinen

Camera 4.5 Update for URSA Mini 4k and SSD?

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi!

I can't update my URSA Mini 4k camera (from PC, Win10). Software says that it is 4.4 and "up to date". I uninstalled previous camera updater from computer and tried re-install, with no change. Does this mean that Blackmagic already stopped supporting Mini 4k or am I having software problems?

Also. Is the new Mini SSD Recorder only supported in Ursa Mini Pro?
-------------
My system:
Threadripper 2950X on X399 board / 64GB mem / RX 7900 XTX
Intensity Pro 4k
Antelope Audio Discreet 8
Windows 11 Pro

...and Pocket Cinema Camera 4k & 6k Pro

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: Camera 4.5 Update for URSA Mini 4k and SSD?

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 pm

This has been well documented on these forums already.

Just because we have released a single software update that does not have features in it for UM4K does not mean we have stopped supporting the camera.

As per the announcement of the SSD Recorder early in the year the unit has been released initially with support on URSA Mini Pro. We are hoping to add support for it on the other Minis. Stay tuned.

Jani Lahtinen

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 4:13 am

Tim Schumann wrote:This has been well documented on these forums already.

Just because we have released a single software update that does not have features in it for UM4K does not mean we have stopped supporting the camera.

As per the announcement of the SSD Recorder early in the year the unit has been released initially with support on URSA Mini Pro. We are hoping to add support for it on the other Minis. Stay tuned.
Thanks, I will!

Lähetetty minun G8141 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
-------------
My system:
Intensity Pro 4k
Windows 11 Pro

Xtreemtec

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm

If you would have read the notes that were on the website were you got the download from you would have seen that it was an update for the mini pro. ;)

What's new in Blackmagic Camera Setup 4.5

New support for Blackmagic URSA Mini SSD Recorder.

New features for URSA Mini SSD Recorder

Added RAW & ProRes record capability to SSD Recorder.
Added playback capability from SSD Recorder.
Added SDI and SSD status LED indicators.
Added ability to use 1TB, 2TB and 4TB SSD’s.

New features for Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K

Added support for URSA Mini SSD Recorder.
Added user interface information for SSD Recorder in media status page.
Lowers SDI output latency to less than 1 frame for live production.
Lowers LCD monitoring latency.
Added Program Audio option for prioritising return audio in headset.
Improved support for B4 lenses.
Fixed focus control on Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM and USM lenses.
Fixed iris control on Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM zoom lens.
Fixed bug where audio levels reset after power cycling.
Fixed bug where lens change was not recognised in metadata if powered off.
Updated URSA Mini Manual to include SSD Recorder and F Mount instructions.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Yes, it is surprising how many people do not read these update notes... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 1:19 pm

They install a random update and expect that it will change their camera..

I wish there would be a single instruction line somewere in the release notes that would unlock an update.. So they have to read the notes to unlock the ZIP file before they can do the upgrade :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jani Lahtinen

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Ah, yes. "They" so lazy and a bit dummy. It's like some people, who come to mock people how they don't read those texts (which is not true) and they themselves don't read the text what they are gloating about. Oh the irony. And yes, maybe my original question was a bit badly put, since I was a bit annoyed, having trying to find the answers myself and not succeeding, and was forced to come here to waste my time. The issue was mainly about, if my rather new camera equipment is already outdated, just to clarify. Which was needed it seems.

How much do you think there is information in a text, that does not exist? When there is no mention of URSA 4k in the release note, how would you know, what part of the update relates to 4k? Or maybe none? Ah, but the question was all about that, so... When you are not in the engineering crew, how would you know, in what way the updates are handeled in the hardware, when they are running the same software? Or are they running the same software, or does it just seem that way? So many unknows... When asking if the new updates for new harware are rolling just for the new cameras in the future, how was that information encrypted in the release note? Yes? If there is only ONE software (and updates) for the whole camera-line, what is a "a random" update, that I was expecting to change my camera? Why should I not expect it to? So how well do you read yourself?

I was about to reply to the answer I got that BM could do a bit better with the info, but I didn't. But since I'm now stupid and a noobie, I might just as well add these notes. Just my opinions, but hey, even the stupid ones have some.

I'm not particularly impressed that I need to come to some forum to find the answer why my camera does not upgrade. I should not need to IMO. And yet the answer was a bit nosy, because I haven't found out that from this forum, earlier. It's true. Not everyone is sitting here in the forums all day JUST IN CASE to find answers to things they do not know about, but is rather out there somewhere working, or doing something else. Even searchin for answer is a bit tricky some times, if you don't know what is wrong. Like I didn't. This whole thing would not have happend, if there was just a mention of these things in those release notes, which apparently I'm not reading. Or even easier: the update software could say like "This update has no added functions to this camera model". How easy and informative is that?! Maybe even I could have read that.

And for the record - I won't be here stalking for bits of information in the future either. If ESSENTIAL info is not available easily where needed, I am easily annoyed even in the future. This is all about good customer service/usability. Or bad.
-------------
My system:
Intensity Pro 4k
Windows 11 Pro

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:42 am

I hear your frustration, but the release notes (which ate included in the update packet) are very clear and specific. It is really simple, if a camera is not listed in the release note, then the update does not apply to that camera — Very simple actually. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography