Making the move... advice needed

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

LeeBurnett

Making the move... advice needed

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi,

So I've had the FS7 for a couple of years, and shoot on Alexa and RED occasionally as well, but as much as I've loved owning an FS7, I've decided the colour science and motion cadence just aren't for me.

So I'm about to buy myself an URSA mini pro.

Want to hear people's thoughts on the setup I'm going for. Some of the extra kit I already own, having used them with my FS7. I built up my FS7 so it was transferrable to other cameras. I do a mixture of run and gun corporate (paying bills) but then also some more cinematic documentary, music videos and narrative based cinematography. Hence why I'm moving to BM.

So I'm thinking the following:

UMP body w/ PL mount.
Zacuto Gratical EVF OR BM EVF... (I've heard that the BM is great?)
Zacuto recoil shoulder rig
Tilta moose bars
V-lock batteries (recommendations please?)
BM SSD unit, and 2 x Samsung 850 SSD's (how bulky is this?)
SmallHD 502 monitor for 1st AC / WFM and False colour
2 x Sennheiser G3 radio mics

-

A couple of things I'm not sure about are other accessories for attaching shotgun mics and radio mics? SmallRig seem to do a lot of decent stuff, but would like to know tried and tested approaches.

Thanks
L

LeeBurnett

Re: Making the move... advice needed

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 4:44 pm

One of the major things I can't decide is if I should go for SSD or CFast.

I would rather go with SSD, as I'd like the option to record very high RAW, slow motion for long stretches. Don't want to limit myself there.

The main issue I have is lack of SDI functionality if I go this route?

I'd love to be able to use the Zacuto gratical, the SmallHD 502, and then have a terradek out... but I can't find out on the BM website how many SDI ports I have if I use the SSD module?

L

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 11:05 am

When you connect the SSD drive you are only left with the Front sdi out which is the one you want to use for yourself with overlays on so you know the status of the camera.

Or you always need to have the LCD openend up.. Then you could choose to make it a Clean feed output for your teradeck / 1st AC.

Or buy the SSD units that have been arround for years.. They have 2 "CFAST" adapters with cables to a housing that holds 2 SSD's.. This way you will have the option of 2 SSD's at the same time.. And also keep your SDI output on the back.. ;)
But as they are 3th party build.. They are not that nicely integrated on the back of the camera.. But rather a loose box that you have to attach somewhere..

More info> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64 ... -your-cfas
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

LeeBurnett

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 3:33 pm

OK, I reckon for now I will change and go with the Cfast cards.

What are the recommended cards to have NO restrictions on speed, even at 4.6k raw?

Thanks for the help

Return to Getting Started