Custom BMPCC "in camera" LUT's?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
tilllt

Custom BMPCC "in camera" LUT's?

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 am

Hi,

correct me if i misunderstood something but the BM Cameras are capable to apply LUT's in real-time, no? I guess this is what is done switching the dynamic range between video / film (it is ProRes Recording i am talking about). So wouldnt it theoretically be possible to upload custom LUT's instead of a simple REC709 conversion?

Frankly i dont like the look of the "video" setting too much. and there are situations where i don't want to spend hours on color correction, but use the camera with a decent preset and directly use the recorded material.

So why isnt it possible to upload a custom LUT to the camera and have this applied in realtime to the ProRes output? Or is this possible and will be a feature of a next firmware version?

cheers,
t.

John Christon

Re: Custom BMPCC "in camera" LUT's?

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 11:55 am

I thought about this too - and yeah, logic says this shouldn't be too hard to do.

This is on the top of my list of desired features beyond the few other basics that people keep asking for. This would be huge for me and for a lot of the work I do.

Honestly I'd probably use a slightly modified version of the Rec709 LUT, just with softer contrast and maybe tweaking colors to be a bit more accurate.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 8:47 pm

tilllt wrote:correct me if i misunderstood something but the BM Cameras are capable to apply LUT's in real-time, no?

As i understand it, no. John posted somewhere a long time ago, he didn't think it was possible with the current hardware.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

HenkLoorbach

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi,
I'm reviving this old question.
But it has been officially ruled out forever and forever that there will be LUT upload possibilities to the BMPCC?
I know there hasn't been a firmware update in quite a while, so would it be safe to assume that there is no more investments done in the BMPCC?
Just those LUT uploads would be just what many people would (still) love !

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm

No, and not likely. As of now, only the Ursa Mini’s have the processing power to apply LUTs, along with the Video Assist 4K.
The Pocket Camera is what it is, and has all the features it’s hardware can support as far as I know.
Not even the Micro Camera with its larger video processor can support LUTs.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 11:47 pm

Could there be a way to provide a small system similar to the Canon cameras. A profile that is wide DR and only needs minor tweaks to pump out content?

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 7:24 am

Denny Smith wrote:No, and not likely. As of now, only the Ursa Mini’s have the processing power to apply LUTs, along with the Video Assist 4K.
The Pocket Camera is what it is, and has all the features it’s hardware can support as far as I know.
Cheers

The Video Assist 5" (HD) also has LUT support.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks Tristan, I thought as much, but was not sure, so did not list it.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stu Aitken

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Tristan Pemberton wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:No, and not likely. As of now, only the Ursa Mini’s have the processing power to apply LUTs, along with the Video Assist 4K.
Cheers

does it? I thought that was limited to the larger 7 inch version....

Kasra Karimi

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 1:23 pm

I recently came across this LUTs and I found them very useful:
Ursa mini LUTs by Stranger Than Paradise Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Stu Aitken wrote:
Tristan Pemberton wrote:
Cheers

does it? I thought that was limited to the larger 7 inch version....

I can confirm that the VA 5" has LUT support.
I have the VA 5".

Taken from BMD website
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ideoassist

"Monitor Using 3D LUTs
Use and store up to six 3D LUTs
Both models of Blackmagic Video Assist can store and recall up to six 3D LUTs instantly so you can properly monitor footage on set with the “look” you need! Digital films are often shot in logarithmic colorspace, which is great for post production and color correction, but looks flat and washed out when viewed on the monitor. 3D LUTs solve this problem because they transform the camera’s image so that everyone on set can see the footage with the final look as the director intends it. You can even load LUTs to simulate different types of look or to simulate specific film stocks. Best of all, LUTs are completely non destructive because the original camera footage remains untouched!"
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm

I can second this, checked the 5-inch VA at the station, it has LUTs on its menu system.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stu Aitken

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 1:34 am

apologies for the disinformation in that case - I stand corrected :)

Denny Smith

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 6:09 pm

No worries Stu, I had thought the same thing, until Leon posted his comment. Then I had a chance to check it myself. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography