rendering out a large, multi-channel wav?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

George Lockwood

rendering out a large, multi-channel wav?

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:39 am

i'm hitting a wall in trying to output the audio from my timeline. source is six-channel wav and seeking to output a six-channel wav. overall length of the project is just under 85 minutes. at 48k/24b that means i hit 2gb roughly half-way through the render. the timeline cursor in the delivery page continues to slowly chug along but file never gets beyond 2gb.

it appears that the audio renders properly when i'm rendering out with picture. same timeline, when rendered with picture (as dnxhr mov with six-channel audio), produces a file which, when re-imported into resolve, seems to be fine for the entire 85min. seems to only be when rendering the wav that things go south.

can someone point me to how i get a discrete audio track out of resolve, at least of this size?

thanks,
g

Reynaud Venter

Re: rendering out a large, multi-channel wav?

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 am

Wave files have a 2GB file size limit, whereas Broadcast Wave have a 4GB file size limit.

Resolve currently only outputs standard wave files (and so exports are restricted to the 2GB limit in file size), so you may have to export your Timeline in chunks and then combine in 3rd party software.

Alternatively use a Print Recorder (such as a SoundDevices 970 or similar, which has a 4GB file size limit but automatically begins writing a new file when that file size limit has been reached).

The Core Audio Format also doesn't restrict file size (it can literally be of any required file size) but Resolve currently doesn't output CAF (it only imports).

This is another reason I have requested BlackMagic supports BW64 (ITU-R BS.2088) natively within Resolve as it literally is Broadcast Wave on steroids.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 am

If you can use MOV container with just audio part. This will solve 4GB size issue. BW64 is not that well supported as you could hope.

George Lockwood

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 5:06 pm

wow. this is terrible news. i hope it's just part of the growing pains dr is going through with its rapid development but not being able to export a surround file of more than about forty minutes is a serious problem. let's hope for bwf soon. i'm kind of stunned.

thanks,
g

George Lockwood

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 5:48 pm

is there a way to render the individual channels each as a separate mono wav? that would get the file sizes down under 2gb and is something i could use anyway.

been trying to figure it out but no luck so far. any tips appreciated.

thanks,
g

Jean Claude

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi George,

OS ? and Version ? :?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

George Lockwood

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 6:59 pm

thanks, jean claude. os = w10pro/64, dr = 14.0.1.008

this seems to work but not sure if the levels are right and it's a HUGE pain in the butt.

in the editor:
set the track to mono
select the clip(s) attributes
set the format to mono
under 'source channel' select the channel you want to render

in 'deliver':
uncheck 'exportvideo'
format: wave
codec: linear pcm
bit depth: 24
uncheck 'render one track per channel' (i could never see what this does, never made a difference)
output track 1: set to 'timeline track'
track number: 1 (i could never get this to change anyway) should say mono next to it

add to render queue

start render

rinse and repeat changing the various clip attribute channels in the editor for the various single channels you want to render such as, L first, then R, then C, then LFE, etc.

i need to test this with a nested timeline now as this method requires each individual timeline clip to have its attributes changed at each render. for my simple, two-clip, test this is ok but for an actual edited timeline would be ridiculous. if the process works after nesting it would be good.

somebody, please show me an easier way!

thanks,
g
Last edited by George Lockwood on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Lockwood

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 pm

sigh. just looked at a nested timeline and, when i select the nested audio clip (r-click the clip), there's no option to look at the clip attributes or adjust them, only paste or remove attributes.

Jean Claude

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

hoping it helps: (workaround)
To have the individual clip, I made a compound clip of all my tracks, bus format 5.1

From a 5.1 clip (without video)
In delivery: try MXF-OP-Atom

I have 6 monos channels ...
(Workaround)

6individuals_channels.jpg

(Workaround)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

George Lockwood

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 10:46 pm

thanks, jean claude. i'll try that. curious, though. does it have to be mxf op atom or could i use wav? as individual files the wavs would be well under the limit of 2gb. probably more around 700mb each.

thanks again,
g

Return to DaVinci Resolve