ATEM television Studio HD, Scaling. Solution?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Chad Burek

ATEM television Studio HD, Scaling. Solution?

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 am

Hi All!

I purchased the ATEM Studio HD with the intent on using it for some small live events. 2 or 3 Computer Inputs, nothing fancy.

I assumed that the ATEM would scale. (ya... my bad...)

Im assuming if I throw a few Decimators on the inputs it will be great. In the few Minutes I had to mess with the unit It seemed like a lot of bang for the buck.

So here is my question....

Is there another cost effect solution for scaling? The decimators are amazing, but having a bunch of random gear to keep track of is no good and it looks "janky".

The Teranex Standards Converter unit looks great. But will it do more than one in and out at a time?
Buying 1 for each input is out of my budget range.

Or am I simply missing the boat? Is there a BM product more suited for what I am doing?

Im hoping to keep my total investment under $3000. $1000 of which I spent on the ATEM.

Thanks for your time.

Chad

Asgeir Hustad

Re: ATEM television Studio HD, Scaling. Solution?

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Toss a few of these on a rack shelf behind a patch panel if you need scaling: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... /W-CONM-16

Sure, they won't take _every_ weird format out there, but they'll do most HDMI / SDI-combos you'll find.

roger.suski

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 pm

No, the converters are one source at a time.

You *can* get a shelf that will rackmount the BMD mini converters. 1RU gets your 4 across, 3RU gets you 7/8?

You can also mount the Decimators to the rear rack rails of your case, or horitzontally on a 1RU standard shelf and drill holes in the appropriate spots. I've hidden 2x of them in my rack.

PLUS with the MDHX, you can also get unscaled HDMI output of whatever your ATEM is outputting, should you need it. (assuming you're converting the "computer" to SDI

Chad Burek

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 12:44 am

Thanks for the Info so far guys.

Any ideas for more of an all-in-one solution?
Would REALLY love to have less random stuff and less connections to be weird.

Chad

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 4:32 am

Hi Chad,

If your budget is $3k, you will be hard pressed to find a scaler for less than the Decimator's $299 price tag much less one that scales as well for that money. The DataVideo DAC-70 should also be considered if you need VGA source scaling.

We use lots of brands of gear, and even at 50+ devices in our typical systems we feel that we picked what was right for the job (and fit money we had to spend-haha). To expect one brand to be the one-size-fits-all is just not realistic IMO. If you build them into the plan properly they will not look janky, but rather as intended...

but just for comparison, have a look at a few scaling devices we have...

The obligatory Decimator MD-HX $299-best bang for the buck ever. Its a great scaler, works bidirectionally and has some often overlooked audio capabilities as well.

AJA ROI series mini converters, $995. Awesome scaling, very clean upscaling. Supports ROI, cropping, etc. Comes in DVI, HDMI, SDI, and DisplayPort models.

Ensemble Designs Mitto 2 Pro w/HDCP, $1,699. Takes VGA/DVI/RGB inputs, supports HDCP! Great all around unit. Half 1RU size rack mount.

AJA FS1 $2,995. True broadcast converter. Accepts many formats (no VGA), has a multitude of audio conversion/embed/de-embed as well. 1RU rack mount, ethernet web interface for control.

AJA FS2 $3,995. Similar to FS1, but can process two video sources. There is an FS4 now too that will do 4 HD sources (drool). Both 1RU rack mount.

Folsom/Barco ImageProHD (now replaced by the ImagePro II series) $7,000+ depending on options. These things are amazing. They take almost any source and convert to any format. Exceptional quality of scaled output. ROI, cropping, etc. Supports HDCP. Truly top of the food chain. 1RU rack mount.

Lot of options out there. Happy shopping!!
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production