Media offline and sync problems with 14.1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joe Mizera

Media offline and sync problems with 14.1

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi folks. Vegas user here, but I keep hoping that Resolve could take over as a replacement NLE. Much as I try, I run into two brick walls every time. Each year, I produce a number of live performances shot with a pair of C100 canons. The first problem is no matter what I do, Resolve is unable to sync using the audio from the cameras. It usually responds with "no suitable audio found". Sorry, not the exact quote. Worthy of note that Pluraleyes 3.5 standalone has no trouble syncing the same media. So, not the ideal workflow, but useable.

The real problem is that the footage ends up with red triangle errors indicating "Media Offline". These appear at random spots throughout the clips. I assume transcoding would solve this? And if so, to what? Resolve clearly isn't happy with the out of camera files. Or am I missing something else?

Again, another added layer of workflow.

PeterMoretti

Re: Media offline and sync problems with 14.1

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 5:29 pm

As for syncing, I've found that I have to create a smart bin to narrow down the files that Resolve tries to match. If I have the camera file and the audio file alone in the same bin, Resolve usually does a very good job of matching them.

As for the footage errors, I've never seen that, but I haven't used C100 footage. It's certainly odd and should not be that way. If you have a clip that reliably has the offline messages, I'll take a look at it.

If you continue to have problems, I suggest that you make a complete list of your system specs. And export a .dpr of the project and create a diagnostic log and provide link to service like Dropbox for both.

BTW, I used to use Vegas 8. It was a great program in ***many*** ways. The scripting alone made it a killer app.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Joe Mizera

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:As for syncing, I've found that I have to create a smart bin to narrow down the files that Resolve tries to match. If I have the camera file and the audio file alone in the same bin, Resolve usually does a very good job of matching them.

As for the footage errors, I've never seen that, but I haven't used C100 footage. It's certainly odd and should not be that way. If you have a clip that reliably has the offline messages, I'll take a look at it.

If you continue to have problems, I suggest that you make a complete list of your system specs. And export a .dpr of the project and create a diagnostic log and provide link to service like Dropbox for both.

BTW, I used to use Vegas 8. It was a great program in ***many*** ways. The scripting alone made it a killer app.

Vegas is still a pretty appealing platform. Recently upgraded to 15 Pro, and ironically, it's the fact that they broke support for Pluraleyes that had me thinking of giving Resolve another go. Reliable syncing from audio is a must for me. The "workaround" using Pluraleyes standalone apparently won't work. After importing to Resolve, the tracks are synced, but apparently, you cannot then convert this to a multicam timeline. DOH! And the red triangles still appear at intermittent spots.

Interestingly, when the media is on a single track, no red triangle errors appear. It's only when two tracks (or more) of media are used.

I will try to get a project and the info on dropbox soon, and post here when I do. Thanks Peter.

Sam Steti

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Hey,

No time (at all) so far, but since I've been doing tons of multicam - and the last year only on Resolve -, I posted here around at least twice my workflow with Plural Eyes 4.
To be continued...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve