Intensity Shuttle... Device Not Supported?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Myke Carter

Intensity Shuttle... Device Not Supported?

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 1:51 am

Hello,

I downloaded what I believe is/are the driver/s for this device today.
Installation seemed to go smoothly enough.
I'm running Windows 10 on a laptop here.

When I attempt to capture a test VHS tape using my Intensity shuttle and VLC, I can see "Decklink Video Capture" and "Decklink Audio Capture" as available A/V devices (which previously did not appear).

However, when I attempt to "Play" using them, VLC tells me "Capture failed: The device you selected cannot be used, because its type is not supported".

When I attempt to do the same with VirtualDub I'm told, "VirtualDub cannot connect to the desired capture driver."

In "Devices and Printers" I see an "Intensity Shuttle" icon listed as the sole member of the "Unspecified" group. Viewing its properties, I see its location as "Port_#0005 Hub_#0001" and its device status as "This device is working properly."

What gives?

Myke

Myke Carter

Re: Intensity Shuttle... Device Not Supported?

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 11:46 pm

Is this the proper place for obtaining assistance with this device?

I'm very anxious to begin using it but, so far, it's a glorified paperweight.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Is it a USB 3 or thunderbolt version?

Have you read the needed Hardware specifications before purchase of this device? Did your system met the minimum requirements. ?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Myke Carter

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 12:50 am

Thanks for taking a moment to reply.

Mine is a USB 3 version.

No, I did not read the hardware specs prior to purchase. Where can I find them?
Last edited by Myke Carter on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myke Carter

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 1:41 am

I decided to see what my 2-year-old desktop "tower" PC running 64-bit Linux Mint 18.2 with its 8-core CPU and 8GB of RAM does with the thing.

I installed the 3 *.deb files provided within "Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Linux_10.9.3.tar.gz". No issues there at all.

With it plugged into my *blue* USB 3.0 port, I run "lsusb" and see (among other unrelated entries):

"Bus 008 Device 007: ID 1edb:bd3b Blackmagic design Intensity Shuttle"

When I run "Blackmagic Firmware Updater", I'm told everything is up-to-date. (See attached.)

When I run "Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup", I'm told there's nothing there. (See attached.)

Two computers are unable to use this device.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-11-14 20-31-14.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-14 20-31-14.png (33.47 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
Screenshot from 2017-11-14 20-35-29.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-14 20-35-29.png (16.5 KiB) Viewed 3152 times

Myke Carter

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 2:46 am

And I attempted again to install the drivers for my Win10 (64-bit) laptop with USB3.0 port.

When I connected the device, it said the setup process was completing - and then it completed. So I know it was being detected. In devices and printers it shows up as I would expect. When I click on the setup utility, though, I get the same ugly screen as I got on the Linux box.

See attached.
Attachments
no-device.png
no-device.png (322.69 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
device-is-working-properly.png
device-is-working-properly.png (104.53 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
device-is-there.png
device-is-there.png (116.97 KiB) Viewed 3148 times

Myke Carter

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 2:50 am

I can find no power light on this device nor does there appear to be a power button. It's either plugged in and playing or not. So far, it's just not.

Myke Carter

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 2:55 am

Maybe none of my 3 USB ports on this laptop is 3.0. I *know* the one on my Linux box *is* 3.0.

Does this device not work at all with a 2.0 port? The message below it when I look in devices and printers said it will perform faster with a 3.0 port. I have always thought the port on the left is 3.0 while the 2 ports on the right are 2.0. Maybe not.

Obviously 3.0 would perform faster but I'm only working with NTSC video from VHS. Nothing more at this point. And I cannot even get the device to respond at all. Whether or not it might be faster is so far a non-factor.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 11:54 am

It does not work on a 2.0 port at all.

And for the USB3.0 product of BMD they officially only support NEC / Renesas 720202 chipset which is about 7 years old and not longer in production.

But these specs would be on the site and in the manual.

EDIT::
This is clearly stated on the website with the product:
Physical Installation

USB 3.0. requires an x58 based motherboard with onboard USB 3.0, or a USB 3.0 PCI Express card and an x58 or P55 series motherboard. Please check the Support pages to see the full system requirements.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Myke Carter

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 pm

What is an "x58" based motherboard? I have an "x586" ASUS motherboard in my Linux box - with a USB 3.0 port. So I should be good there. No need for the PCI Express card there.

The USB port on the left side of my laptop is also marked "SS" - unlike the 2 ports on the right side. That indicates to me it *is* a USB 3.0 port as I had initially believed. My laptop too has an "x586" MB running 64-bit Windows 10.

My Linux box was built in 2015. My laptop was bought new in 2016. Both of these machines should be fine with this device unless there is something else I'm not taking into consideration.

I thought perhaps the shuttle might not be receiving enough power from the laptop's USB3 port but that would not have been true for my Linux tower PC's port.

So what could be stopping this device from doing anything?

Return to Getting Started