Thank you for the Micro updates!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ryan Payne

Thank you for the Micro updates!

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 3:14 am

Just wanted to say that I appreciate the continued updates for the micro 4k studio and cinema. Keep them coming!

Just a question about "Fixed issue with a small vertical pixel offset between HDMI output and RAW recording on Micro Cinema Camera."

Does this mean you've curbed the need to pixel shift the footage's pan and tilt by 0.5 in order to stop the crosshatching depending on the scale of the video in resolve?

I know it may not be possible but I'd also like to see the ability to run a D-pad or thumb stick controller via sbus to navigate the menu.

Toggle on and off focus peaking and zebras would also be welcome sbus commands.

I'd be well willing to buy BM made addons in order to save my brain the trouble of making up micro controllers, a smaller ursa style handle, etc.

I know many that have the video assist they'd love to be able to use the touch screen to navigate the menu. I'm not sure how viable that is though but just a suggestion.

Any update that helps me get a better picture out of an already amazing camera is a welcome one!

Chris Chiasson

Re: Thank you for the Micro updates!

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 3:25 am

The part that interests me the most is the indicator for the HDMI Display Overlay. If done correctly, should make external recording easier by reminding us the display is on before recording. Now just need the Video Assist to somehow not record the overlay and menu if possible. But a warning would do. Maybe even have a lock with the HDMI recording, posting a warning saying "Overlay still on". Thus you can't record externally till you turn off the overlay. Either way, would love to see how the update uses the indicator for the Micro.

And I agree, I'd love BM to make a Micro remote to make it easier for us.

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 am

Thanks BM for the great firmware update to to the Micro camera’s! Nice move — adding frame rate changes TI SBus will be a game changer for many, not sure how you pulled that one off, but will check it out!

As for remotes, we have two great choices, with Kim’s Levitzer remote and Phil’s One Little Goat Remote.
Need to see if either one will handle the frame rate change.

Another big improvement for me with the Micr Studio is the improved sensor exposure sensitivity by 2 stops, and a new gain setting range from -12dB to +12dB, and RAW SDI output. Thank you BM!

In case you missed it, here are the new changes in V4.7:
What's new in Blackmagic Camera Setup 4.7
New Features for Micro Studio Camera 4K

Added 720p50, 720p59.94 and 720p60 format support.
Improved sensor exposure sensitivity by 2 stops.
Added new gain setting range which now goes from -12dB to +12dB. ATEM will need a new software update to access these new ranges via Blackmagic SDI Control Protocol.
Added RAW SDI output feature. Refer to the user manual for information about capturing and unpacking RAW SDI video.
Added support for PTZ communication on Expansion port via VISCA. Refer to the user manual for protocol details.
Added support for PTZ commands in the Blackmagic SDI Control Protocol.
Added preview tally support for the front tally light.
Added tally indication on the HDMI display overlay.
Added indication to the user that camera is genlocked on the HDMI display overlay.
Added option to change camera frame rate via S.Bus.
Added option to toggle auto focus via S.Bus.
Added option to toggle record via S.Bus for external recorders.
Added feature to pass through remote record commands as SDI and HDMI record triggers for external recorders.

New features for Micro Cinema Camera
Added record start/stop trigger on HDMI output.
Added HDMI timecode output support.
Added indication to the user that camera is genlocked in the HDMI display overlay.
Added option to change frame rate settings via S.Bus.
Added option to change codec settings via S.Bus.
Added option to toggle auto focus via S.Bus.
Fixed issue with a small vertical pixel offset between HDMI output and RAW recording on Micro Cinema Camera.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Daniel Binder

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:54 am

someone please correct me, but these too:

• Improved sensor exposure sensitivity by 2 stops.
• Added new gain setting range which now goes from -12dB to +12dB.

look a lot like they just made the former +12db gain setting the new zero point.
that would explain the new -12db setting (formerly the minimum was 0) and the maximum of +12db (before +16db, I believe).
So, is the new sensor exposure of two more stops really just a new label (coming at a price of increased noise)?

I'd be more than happy to be wrong :)

cheers, daniel

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:00 am

Good question, but since it is labeled as increased sensitivity, the gain noise at +12 under 4.7 should be less that it was previously. I think what has changed is native ISO was previously 100 now it is closer to 400, so two stops exposure without any increase in noise. The -12 setting should take you back to what was ISO100 ar “0”.

I Will need to run a pre update test and a post update test to compare to be sure.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Daniel Binder

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:41 am

Hi Denny,

Wouldn't "raising the native ISO" be the exact same thing as making the formerly +12db point the new zero?

My suspicion is that marketing decided that the noise was good enough at 12db :)

I will wait until the corresponding ATEM upgrade is released before I update our Micro Studio 4Ks not to loose the remote control ability.

cheers,
daniel

Ryan Payne

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 am

Sad to say that the cross hatching issue is not fixed with 4.7

Shifting the pan and tilt by 0.5 is still a necessary work around in resolve.

Picture proof by Shijan @BMCUSER http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2 ... Update-4-7

Please fix this BMD, it's just so tedious to fix for every clip :(

Dmytro Shijan

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Ok. 17 S.Bus channels support is great and makes all existing controllers with fixed buttons outdated :)
But after so long time there is still no clear 16:9 output without safe zones :cry: This is the main thing that many users ask for this camera. Just add one more line to the menu - 16:9 WITHOUT safe zones. Just full sensor output with information overlays. Dear camera developers why are you forced us to use slightly cropped 1.85:1 for that?
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:35 pm

OK. 17 S.Bus channels support is great and makes all existing controllers with fixed buttons outdated

Not necessarily Demitry, you can still determine what the four to five button controllers will control. Like reassign the “zoom” button to trigger record or set frame rates. However, To get all 17 buses, you will need a new controller — hint, hint Phil... :roll:

Daniel, not necessarily, depends if the sensor output was tweaked by the firmware update to reduce the gain noise at a given level. I am hoping this is what they did, giving ISO 400 the same noise level as the previous ISO 100.

Marketing does not dictate technical specifications, the hardware and software engineers do, marketing just screws it up trying to relay the specifications to us. :roll:
Cheers

Daniel Binder wrote:Hi Denny,
Wouldn't "raising the native ISO" be the exact same thing as making the formerly +12db point the new zero?
My suspicion is that marketing decided that the noise was good enough at 12db :)
I will wait until the corresponding ATEM upgrade is released before I update our Micro Studio 4Ks not to loose the remote control ability.
cheers,
daniel
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stu Aitken

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 5:11 am

frame rate and codec support via sbus is awesome

I would have loved to see full menu control but the additions they have made were the primary functions missing so I won't complain too much :)

any remote using a programmable micro controller should be easily tweaked via software update to support this (given the HW control scheme is flexible enough of course)

Return to Cinematography