Stable version of Resolve with feature freeze like Linux LTs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Keith Moore

Stable version of Resolve with feature freeze like Linux LTs

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi it is my father who purchased and uses Resolve Studio. An amazing programme in my opinion.
My suggestion for Resolve is that 14.1 has a feature freeze and for the next few months a mayor effort oncorrecting bugs is undertaken. Resolve could then be turned into 14.1stable. Then you could continue adding new features through the other nine months.
This would enable people who are on 12.5 to upgrade with much fewer worries about crashes and bugs.
This process of regularly freezing could be an annual cycle and would give people a choice about whether to have the latest features or keep using a stable 14.1.There is an enormous gap in features between 12.5 and 14.1
I appreciate bug fixing is an absolutely horrid chore and the worst bit of software development so these necessary chores should be spread amongst your wonderful programmers. I aslo appreciate that such a way of working would slow down the rate of new feature development but constantly crashing buggy programs are a nightmare.
My second suggestion is that there is grouped documentation of problems with workarounds that is collated so that people who work professionally can share workflows that overcome issueswith other users in one simple place instead of having to plough through the forums.
Well done for developing such an amazing program at such a low price point.

Marc Wielage

Re: Stable version of Resolve with feature freeze like Linux

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:37 am

Keith Moore wrote:My second suggestion is that there is grouped documentation of problems with workarounds that is collated so that people who work professionally can share workflows that overcome issues with other users in one simple place instead of having to plough through the forums.

I can't help you with the first request, but with the second: that's what user groups are for. It also helps to make friends with other colorists and trade working methods back and forth, observe how other people work, and keep up with training and all of the discussions out there. It also helps to understand the work done by cinematographers, editors, sound mixers, and VFX artists, since color-correction encompasses a little bit of all of these things.

I've been color-correcting for more than 35 years and there's still lots and lots to learn, and I often benefit just by saying, "let me think about this: maybe there's a completely different approach I haven't considered." Often, somebody's suggestion opens up a door I didn't even know existed. One benefit of Resolve is that there's typically five or six different ways to approach a problem, and there's pros and cons to each. Time and experience give different people different philosophies on the best ways to get the job done.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Stable version of Resolve with feature freeze like Linux

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 am

Keith Moore wrote:My second suggestion is that there is grouped documentation of problems with workarounds that is collated so that people who work professionally can share workflows that overcome issueswith other users in one simple place instead of having to plough through the forums.
Well done for developing such an amazing program at such a low price point.

Marc Wielage wrote:I can't help you with the first request, but with the second: that's what user groups are for.

I think Keith meant a technical "known bugs and workarounds" documentation, not "I want my cat to be cyan, how to do that" docs. It is very helpful to have a known bugs listing, so that user groups are not overflowed with constantly repeating "is this a bug" questions. Workarounds are technical descriptions of what to do to avoid software crashing, database corruption and so on, and in my opinion it should be best practice to have it collected and presented. In the same line one might argue that software documentation on itself is moot because one can always ask in user group, what a button or function does.
I do stuff.

Return to DaVinci Resolve