Z840: Can output true surround sound?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Michael Holmes

Z840: Can output true surround sound?

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 pm

We are considering replacing our 2010 Mac Pro with a Z840. We have put this off a long time.

We need to be able to monitor true surround sound (not pseudo or simulated) from DaVinci Resolve while we upmix from stereo using Halo Upmix. The 2010 Mac Pro only outputs simulated surround.

We monitor the stereo mixing with Barefoot studio monitors, then will monitor the surround upmix using a Marantz SR7012 A/V receiver.

Questions for HP computer users
1. Will the Z840 output true surround, i.e., will it enable hearing the actual surround mix outputs (all 5.1 channels) from DaVinci Resolve?
2. How do I connect to the Marantz receiver? Quadro P6000 Display Port to HDMI cable to Marantz?

Thank you for your help.

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Z840: Can output true surround sound?

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm not sure the computer is that big of a deal for what you are trying to do.

I have a z820.

I run SDI out (embedded audio) from either Avid or Resolve to a Terenex Mini SDI to HDMI.
That HDMI signal goes to a surround receiver, and then passes on to a 65 inch 4k monitor.

The only caveat I have found, in both Avid and Resolve, so it might have something to do with the decklink hardware, rather than the software, but I have to swap the L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs, channels around for proper playback in suite. C and LFE need to be patched to each others position.

As I said, this is necessary in both Avid and Resolve, so I think it is a hardware issue, not a software issue, and the issue was present before I started using the Terenex. When I had a cheap sdi to hdmi converter, the same issue was around.

Return to Post Production