Codec Issues, Please Help

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Randall Donadio

Codec Issues, Please Help

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 1:29 am

So I am exporting from Resolve to finish edits in FCPX. My issue is exporting since my Resolve is on a Windows PC.

After vigorous research, due to Prores not being available on Resolve for windows as an export codec, many recommend using DNxHR HQX. I installed the codec pack from Avid's website and exported.

When importing on my Mac however, the timeline does not play. It has a green screen. When I scrub it shows the footage though leading me to believe this is a codec issue.

I can export fine from resolve as an MP4 and upload my timeline fine but I do not want to compress footage to edit and then compress again.
Please, any and all help is much appreciated!

Jim Simon

Re: Codec Issues, Please Help

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 am

I recently worked with a client using FCPX. The best option available from Resolve that worked on the Mac was H.264 as QuickTime files.

Personally, I think you're better off doing all the work on the Windows machine using Resolve.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Randall Donadio

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I recently worked with a client using FCPX. The best option available from Resolve that worked on the Mac was H.264 as QuickTime files.

Personally, I think you're better off doing all the work on the Windows machine using Resolve.

Yeah, that is the only thing I was able to get work was H.264. The entire project is only 2 gigs so I imagine it is compressing it a ton which is going to lose me a lot of information. The AVID codec renders almost as quickly and is 30 gigs of better quality.

I think you're right in likely needing to just stick to my PC for everything. I never had problems delivering uncompressed to Premier to finish edits but I must admit that FCPX has been a joy to work with. I would really like using the software but my MacBook cannot handle what my PC can in terms of color grading in Resolve.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Could you install Resolve on the Mac, and use it to do the Export as ProRes?
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Randall Donadio

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:04 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Could you install Resolve on the Mac, and use it to do the Export as ProRes?

I have Resolve on my Mac but for some reason it's really laggy and annoying to use (only on my Mac) despite it being a 2017 Macbook Pro. Workflow would also be quite annoying having to transfer the clips, save the Resolve file, open it and link all the clips all to export and open in FCPX.

If I can, it would be much easier to render in a good codec like DNxHR HQX onto my NAS and open it on my Mac in FCPX for final edits so I am trying to avoid the aforementioned.

Given Resolve relies on GPU so much I am guessing that is why my MacBook is laggy while trying to grade. Otherwise, I would just handle all of my video editing stuff on my Mac :(

PeterMoretti

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:15 pm

I would try creating a DNxHR HQX in FCP X and see if FCP X can play that. Also maybe try creating test HQX files in Avid or PPro if you have access to them.

Also, does the HQX file you created in Resolve play properly in Resolve?

And if you can't get DNxHR to work, does X play nice with Go Pro Cineform files? You could try that. Good luck!
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Jean Claude

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 pm

With Davincice Resolve V14.x and Windows 10, no need to install Codec, normally DR V14 integrates what you need: Using DNxHR library v2.3.3.39r (from LOG)

Maybe test between dnxHR HQX 10Bits vs. 12Bits? and mainly 12 bits with FCPX? :?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Randall Donadio

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:03 pm

It couldn't be an issue with the original file type right? The original clip is XVAC (from Sony camera).

Jean Claude

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Maybe a short clip from a clip source? not sure can not help more than that? :?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Randall Donadio

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Yeah, the video does import and play in Resolve but it is very laggy, just like it is in FCPX.

See, in FCPX I can scrub the video but when I play it's green. In resolve it will play but very laggy and dropping frames. Almost as if the codec isn't working right or the file is corrupted.

It's almost as if my Mac can't handle it but that's impossible given it's just a clip. This is leading me to believe that possible Resolve isn't successfully rendering it?

PeterMoretti

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Try creating a DNxHR HQX clip in FCP X and bring that back into FCP X (and check it out in Resolve on the PC as well). Does it play any better in either program than the Resolve created DNxHR HQX file?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 pm

You can also try Cineform or GV HQX (this use to work, but apparently in latest FCP X it doesn't).
H264 is not really a replacement for ProRes or DNxHR, specially in Resolve where it exports at rather poor quality.

Resolve doesn't need AVID codec pack as it has native support for DNxHR.
Did you instal codec on Mac?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... popup=true

PeterMoretti

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Andrew, I don't believe that's the link you want to use if you need to download the DNx codecs. Those codecs are for Media Composer 6.5 from 2012. Media Composer is on version 8.3.

But as said, if he has Resolve installed (even on his Mac) he really shouldn't need to install the DNx codecs.

Return to DaVinci Resolve