Issue with Camera update v4.7 on URSA Mini

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

BigHat

Issue with Camera update v4.7 on URSA Mini

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 3:44 am

I mistakingly tried to update my Ursa Mini camera to v4.7 today. The procedure worked until the 100% mark of the install when it gave me a warning that the "Update had failed".
At this stage, the camera would NOT power up.
With BlackMagic phone support, I was advised to roll back and install v4.3.3, and then try v4.7 again, which I did, BUT after running the v4.3.3 installer, it said the camera was up to date with 4.3.1???
So, I then tried the whole process a second and third time, each time "Failed to Update", so back to v4.3.3, which installed v4.3.1
What a ...... of a day!
BTW, sorry for the angst I seem to have caused. Others seem to know more than I do!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 1.14.54 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 1.14.54 pm.png (519.15 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
Last edited by BigHat on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary CJ Schweikert
"The Big Hat"

Ryan Payne

Re: Massive fail. Camera update v4.7

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:02 am

I don't believe there were any updates for the ursa line in the 4.7 update.

I'm not too sure how to fix your issue though :(

Adam Silver

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:22 am

The post about the update starts with... "Camera v4.7 update for Micro Cameras".

Adam

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:03 am

Big Hat, why are you trying to install an upgrade to your camera that does Not apply to your camera?
BM Camera Update V4.7is for the Micro Studio and Micro Cinema camera’s only — nothing there for a Ursa Mini! Once you roll back to 4.3.1, reinstall the last Ursa Mini 4.6 update, Ver 4.4 then you will be back and current for your camera.

Et all, you need to read the update notes on the camera firmware updates, adding an update to a camera that is not listed in the notes, only causes issues. I would no more update my Micro Camera with Ver 4.4, or a Ursa Mini with Ver 4.7.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 11:47 am

Ooh again people don't read those release notes.. :lol: :lol:

Have fun downgrading and upgrading your camera again to the point of 4.5 ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

BigHat

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 pm

OK , take it easy guys, if, as you suggest I’m the Dumb One, you tell me why is says in the “read more on the 4.7 update notes “ While installing Camera Update on URSA Mini and URSA Mini Pro you may notice a pause around the 10% mark in the install process, this is normal and will continue installing after around 20 seconds”
See, it says “While installing on Ursa Mini”
AND, Blackmagic Support DID NOT tell me not to install it when I spoke to them.

Just back off Adam Silver, Denny Smith & Xtreemtec!

Here I was, thinking I was helping others on the forum not getting into the bother I did, only to get ridiculed buy camera colleagues!
Last time I help you guys
Gary CJ Schweikert
"The Big Hat"

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 1:19 pm

They state that the update does update the Micro studio camera 4K and Micro Cinema Camera.

On the bottom they have there standard lines that warns about issues that can ocour IF/When you install a new update on the ursa cameras or even on the older Cinema Camera PL, EF or MFT .

If there was anything new in this FW update for the URSA's they would mention this.
Why your camera update failed is probabbly due to the fact that the camera does not update. Or writes the same old firmware in their with the same firmware number. This is probabbly why your update crashed or failed as the camera expects an updated number then the previous one..

I do agree with you the Ursa should not crash on this. ;) But to make a topic in the forum with "Massive fail. Camera update v4.7" could be done different.
"Camera update V4.7 failed on Ursa" would be a better title!!!
And it could be even an isolated incident.. Maybe the download you did got corrupted, install got corrupted, USB data failed and send some wrong info to the camera.. Could be a lot of things.. But we will find out in 1 or 2 days when more people report problems.. ;)

What's new in Blackmagic Camera Setup 4.7
New Features for Micro Studio Camera 4K

Added 720p50, 720p59.94 and 720p60 format support.
Improved sensor exposure sensitivity by 2 stops.
Added new gain setting range which now goes from -12dB to +12dB. ATEM will need a new software update to access these new ranges via Blackmagic SDI Control Protocol.
Added RAW SDI output feature. Refer to the user manual for information about capturing and unpacking RAW SDI video.
Added support for PTZ communication on Expansion port via VISCA. Refer to the user manual for protocol details.
Added support for PTZ commands in the Blackmagic SDI Control Protocol.
Added preview tally support for the front tally light.
Added tally indication on the HDMI display overlay.
Added indication to the user that camera is genlocked on the HDMI display overlay.
Added option to change camera frame rate via S.Bus.
Added option to toggle auto focus via S.Bus.
Added option to toggle record via S.Bus for external recorders.
Added feature to pass through remote record commands as SDI and HDMI record triggers for external recorders.

New features for Micro Cinema Camera

Added record start/stop trigger on HDMI output.
Added HDMI timecode output support.
Added indication to the user that camera is genlocked in the HDMI display overlay.
Added option to change frame rate settings via S.Bus.
Added option to change codec settings via S.Bus.
Added option to toggle auto focus via S.Bus.
Fixed issue with a small vertical pixel offset between HDMI output and RAW recording on Micro Cinema Camera.

Minimum system requirements for macOS

macOS High Sierra 10.13 or better
macOS Sierra 10.12 or better
A suitable USB 2.0 port
Thunderbolt port for UltraScope and Media Express when using Blackmagic Cinema Camera or Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

Minimum system requirements for Windows

Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
A suitable USB 2.0 port
A suitable Thunderbolt port when using Blackmagic Cinema Camera or Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

Installing Blackmagic Camera Utility

Before installing the software on Windows, we recommend that you run "Uninstall Blackmagic Camera Setup” first.
The Blackmagic Camera Installer package installs:

Blackmagic Camera Setup
Uninstall Blackmagic Camera Setup
User Manuals

While installing Camera Update on URSA Mini and URSA Mini Pro you may notice a pause around the 10% mark in the install process, this is normal and will continue installing after around 20 seconds.

After loading the software on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera PL, EF or MFT, you may notice a slight flickering on the built-in LCD screen. This is normal and expected behavior. The flickering will go away after a few minutes of operation.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

roger.magnusson

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm

The last update to the Mini 4.6K was in firmware v4.4. So it's perfectly legitimate to expect the v4.7 download to be able to install v4.4 if you were on v4.3.1.

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:26 pm

No one is calling you a dummy Big Hat, and yes, I agree, the general downloading issues statement for the UM and UM Pro at the bottom of the notes could be confusing. Thanks for posting the heads up on this, so other UM users do not try the same thing.

The “unified” Camera updates ended with the release of UM new 4.0 operating system. Since then, one needs to keep UM and the other camera updates separate, or issues can arise from trying to cross install one. BM even recommends reading update notes and only applying the update if it has your camera listed.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

BigHat

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Denny Smith wrote:No one is calling you a dummy Bog Hat, and yes, I agree, the general downloading issues statement for the UM and UM Pro at the bottom of the notes could be confusing. Thanks for posting the heads up on this, so other UM users do not try the same thing.

The “unified” Camera updates ended with the release of UM new 4.0 operating system. Since then, one needs to keep UM and the other camera updates separate, or issues can arise from trying to cross install one. BM even recommends reading rh hosted, and only applying the update if it has your camera listed.
Cheers

“Bog Hat”? Really
Gary CJ Schweikert
"The Big Hat"

BigHat

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 10:36 pm

I do agree with you the Ursa should not crash on this. ;) But to make a topic in the forum with "Massive fail. Camera update v4.7" could be done different.
"Camera update V4.7 failed on Ursa" would be a better title!!!

I’ve been corrected, again, sorry for my misunderstanding
Gary CJ Schweikert
"The Big Hat"

Denny Smith

Re: Issue with Camera update v4.7 on URSA Mini

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 6:30 am

Sorry, bad typing on my part, corrected my post Big Hat. BTW, how are you liking your Ursa Mini?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Wayne Steven

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Lol. They told you to keep reinstalling the wrong update, which they left things in that don't apply, and canned the pocket updates after making every body suffer waiting for new firmware framework and then replaced that I think.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Dmytro Shijan

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The “unified” Camera updates ended with the release of UM new 4.0 operating system. Since then, one needs to keep UM and the other camera updates separate, or issues can arise from trying to cross install one. BM even recommends reading rh hosted, and only applying the update if it has your camera listed.
Cheers

100% Agree. Those unified camera updates makes things too complicated. It takes me half an hour to find previous BMMCC firmware (which is version 3.1) to downgrade from 4.7
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Tommaso Alvisi

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:It takes me half an hour to find previous BMMCC firmware (which is version 3.1) to downgrade from 4.7

Hey Denny, why did you downgrade???

did you have some troubles with 4.7 ?

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:25 pm

I didn’t Do the update yet, never do it too fast, to see if there are issues first. Dmitry did the upgrade, and found dead or lit pixels and then downgraded back to 3.1 — see previous post from Dmitry.

I am going to try the new upgrade with the Micro Studio Camera first, after getting a base shot of the sensor before and after the upgrade, shooting a plain background. Today is the first non rainy day since the update was released.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mike Kroes

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:26 pm

BigHat wrote:I mistakingly tried to update my Ursa Mini camera to v4.7 today. The procedure worked until the 100% mark of the install when it gave me a warning that the "Update had failed".
At this stage, the camera would NOT power up.
With BlackMagic phone support, I was advised to roll back and install v4.3.3, and then try v4.7 again, which I did, BUT after running the v4.3.3 installer, it said the camera was up to date with 4.3.1???
So, I then tried the whole process a second and third time, each time "Failed to Update", so back to v4.3.3, which installed v4.3.1
What a ...... of a day!
BTW, sorry for the angst I seem to have caused. Others seem to know more than I do!
Just for the record, I don't have a lot of respect for BMD technical support. They told me they could probably fix the HDMI port on my BMPCC and when they got the camera they said nope, can't fix, and offered to dispose of the camera for me.i have since found out that it is a rate BMPCC that does have a working HDMI port. Everything works on mine except the HDMI port so I didn't understand why they wanted to dispose of it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Dmytro Shijan

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Tommaso Alvisi wrote:
Dmitry Shijan wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:It takes me half an hour to find previous BMMCC firmware (which is version 3.1) to downgrade from 4.7

Hey Denny, why did you downgrade???

did you have some troubles with 4.7 ?

I'm not Denny :) Just got Fixed dots all around the sensor after 4.7 BMMCC update. See this thread for details viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66879

BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:25 pm

BigHat, we guys with big hats need to stick together. All those other guys are just a little envious of that big hat, so no worries! Been awhile since I’ve messaged you. Take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Mike Kroes wrote:Just for the record, I don't have a lot of respect for BMD technical support. They told me they could probably fix the HDMI port on my BMPCC and when they got the camera they said nope, can't fix, and offered to dispose of the camera for me.

As the camera was bought third party and out of warranty, after the evaluation of the unit, it was deemed we could not repair the camera. There was an email sent that discussed other options however, we never heard back from you on this. If you wish to discuss this further, you can contact us again.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

BigHat

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 8:04 am

rick.lang wrote:BigHat, we guys with big hats need to stick together. All those other guys are just a little envious of that big hat, so no worries! Been awhile since I’ve messaged you. Take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brim with pride to be one of the few crowned with a special headpiece!
I tip my hat to you Rick and wish you the best..
Gary CJ Schweikert
"The Big Hat"

Tommaso Alvisi

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 10:23 am

Dmitry Shijan wrote:I'm not Denny :) Just got Fixed dots all around the sensor after 4.7 BMMCC update. See this thread for details viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66879

Haahahah sorry I got confused with quoting.

I replied on the other thread.

Probably this update mess up the black shading table of the sensor, so I asked to include this function in the menu to generate a new one when needed.

In fact I found basically all Micros to have some crazy pixels (dead or bright or dancing).

Try it with your firmware at 1600 iso and 60fps and with black cap and raise the gain in resolve...but with a gray background you can see these also simply in cam at 1600iso sometimes.

It's present in EVERY (MANY) Micros I tried...and it's a simple thing which a MORE ACCURATE black shading would be able to fix well.

Emanuel Schwermer

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Hello colleagues from Munich,

I stepped into the same trap.
4.7 upgrade failed and my URSAmini4.6K does not power up anymore.
How can I roll back to a earlier software with a camera not booting anymore?

Thanks for any help.

Emanuel

Emanuel Schwermer

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 7:43 pm

Solved!
Suddenly I was able to install a earlier software.
Camera woke up again!
Puhhh ...

Emanuel

Wayne Steven

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:28 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Lol. They told you to keep reinstalling the wrong update, which they left things in that don't apply, and canned the pocket updates after making every body suffer waiting for new firmware framework and then replaced that I think.

Not only that, the update doesn't recognise it is the wrong hardware and tell you.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Return to Cinematography