Question About All In One Cine Zooms

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Matt Thela

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi, I currently work a Majority of the year shooting weddings, a lot of the time solo, so i've always been looking for a All In One Cine Zoom for My UMP that will fit my needs

Basically i'm looking for a Wide Aperture (T2.8 or Below) All in one Zoom (18-30 - 80-120-ish) that is able to close focus (A Minimum Focus Distance of 1-1.5 feet preferably)

Has anybody used or can recommend a zoom that might fit close to those recommendations

I'm not sure if its possible for a all in one zoom to have these kinds of specifications (I've found the more the focal zoom length, the longer the Minimum Focus Distance)

Tristan Pemberton

Re: Question About All In One Cine Zooms

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 10:00 pm

In PL mount, well, close. But they are expensive.

Top contenders - all parfocal CineZooms:
Angenieux EZ2 - 15-40mm T2 - servo grip option
Angenieux EZ1 - 30-90mm T2 - servo grip option
Fujinon 20-120mm T3.5 (doesn't quite cover full sensor, but will cover 4K) - servo grip option
Fujinon 19-90mm T2.9 - probably the best all rounder, but $30K - servo grip option
Zeiss 21-100mm T2.9-3.9 (iris ramps after 70mm I believe)

If you're happy to shoot 2K, there's a ton of Super16 and B4 options that will definitely cover a huge range for you, and are fast. I have a Canon 8-64 T2.4 which is fabulous for events. Covers 2K window. Also a Fujinon 17x7.8 F/1.9 (7.8-133mm) which also covers 2K and uses a servo grip.

Or if you want to shoot full sensor, you could do what I did, and have some suitable photo lenses rehoused. I just had a Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 and an Angenieux 28-70mm f/2.6 rehoused. Both are designed with features desirable for cine - internal focus and (mostly) internal zoom, and are very close to parfocal.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

John Brawley

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 4:17 am

Matt Thela wrote:Hi, I currently work a Majority of the year shooting weddings, a lot of the time solo, so i've always been looking for a All In One Cine Zoom for My UMP that will fit my needs

Basically i'm looking for a Wide Aperture (T2.8 or Below) All in one Zoom (18-30 - 80-120-ish) that is able to close focus (A Minimum Focus Distance of 1-1.5 feet preferably)

Has anybody used or can recommend a zoom that might fit close to those recommendations

I'm not sure if its possible for a all in one zoom to have these kinds of specifications (I've found the more the focal zoom length, the longer the Minimum Focus Distance)

What you're asking for is going to be very difficult, especially if you don't want a monster sized lens.

A zoom lens that can cover those ideals in T2.8 or less, cover the 4.6K sensor and be manageable by a single person shooter will be both expensive and still massive.

Panavision for example have a rental only 24-275 T2.8 monster
http://www.panavision.com/products/prim ... %AE-lenses

or the Angenieux 24-290 T2.8 (Which I just call "The Hubble"
https://www.angenieux.com/collections/o ... om-24-290/

You're not handling one these lenses by yourself. I'm trying to illustrate the impossible-ness of what you're asking for. The both heavy and large and very expensive.

Even the smaller lenses if you sacrifice some reach like the Angenieux 19.5-94 are still pretty pricey.
https://www.angenieux.com/collections/o ... m-19-5-94/

Canon make some you might like. The 14.5-60, but that's a little on the short side for you ?

Fujinon also make a nice 18-85 that's hand holdable and Fast at T2.0 that I think will cover the sensor.
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/optica ... k/hk47x18/

And a 19-90 T2.8
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/optica ... k/zk47x19/

Other than that you might be better off going for a sigma cine zoom pair like the 18-35 T2 and the 50-100 T2 and do it across two smaller lenses that could manage (and that are a more likely wedding video shooter priced)

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 5:32 am

The Fujinon 20-120 has a lot to recommend it in terms of your requirements, with the possible exception of T3.5 for your interiors. At least it’s about $15,000 versus much more for faster lenses. The T2 speed of the 4.7x18 is wonderful, but the cost is in the $70,000 range on sale.

As John mentioned, everyone would like a Super 35 single zoom lens that covers nearly all shooting conditions, but they are costly, large, heavy, slow. Fine for a narrative film, but not a wedding. Find the pair of zooms that meets all your requirements in two lenses. You may even just acquire the zoom that covers wide to normal first as you’ll use that by far the most. Later pickup its normal to telephoto match.

I shoot weddings with one zoom, the Fujinon HA20x7.8 T2.4. Great B4 lens, but only covers 2K on the URSA Mini 4.6K. That or the Canon previously suggested might suit your needs until you can step up to capturing 4.6K Super 35 on a dream Cine Zoom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 6:26 am

Canon 17 - 120 T2.95-3.9 is another option.
The ramp to T3.9 only occurs in the last 30mm of the zoom range, from 90-120mm.
Minimum Focus is a little longer than you want at 2.8' but I know a few doc shooters who plunked down the cash for it because they found it to be the best zoom lens for s35 doc work
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Tristan Pemberton

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 6:39 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Canon 17 - 120 T2.95-3.9 is another option.
The ramp to T3.9 only occurs in the last 30mm of the zoom range, from 90-120mm.
Minimum Focus is a little longer than you want at 2.8' but I know a few doc shooters who plunked down the cash for it because they found it to be the best zoom lens for s35 doc work

Ah, yes Jamie. I forgot about that one.

Probably has the best range for a 'hand held' S35 lens. Bit front heavy and does ramp, but very useful range especially for doco/events.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Matt Thela

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 7:17 am

Thank you everybody for the replies and suggestions!

Currently i'm shooting with the Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 Art still lens.

So far I think the best bet for me is the Angenieux EZ1 30-90. I'm willing to sacrifice on the wide end of the focal length for the added length on the Telephoto end.

I haven't found must test footage from people using that lens. has anyone here used any of the EZ lenses in the past?

Tristan Pemberton

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 8:05 am

Matt Thela wrote:I haven't found must test footage from people using that lens. has anyone here used any of the EZ lenses in the past?

They are not currently shipping yet. But they are expected to start shipping later this month.

Here's a review of the 15-40mm T2. I imagine the 30-90mm will have similar handling and characteristics.
http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/04/a ... -2-review/
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

John Brawley

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Matt Thela wrote:
So far I think the best bet for me is the Angenieux EZ1 30-90. I'm willing to sacrifice on the wide end of the focal length for the added length on the Telephoto end.

I haven't found must test footage from people using that lens. has anyone here used any of the EZ lenses in the past?

I imagine it will be very similar to the 30-80 Optimo, it's basically the same lens, and they're very nice and lightweight, not too big and pretty fast. I haven't shot the EZ series, but in the Optimo / DP series the main and most obvious issue was that they weren't very flat.

In other words, the corners went pretty dark on them, I didn't mind it, it's a natural vignette, but in a pan you could easily see the issue. It wasn't enough of a deal breaker, I used them on many shows, but I tend to be on primes these days.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Return to Cinematography